Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'll never forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Warmal posted:

"Mario Party 3 is the best Mario Party so far."
I'm vindicated.

At least my vote didn't get last place? :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the little sparkles Tumble gets in his eyes when he gets excited. He's just been a regular ol' board game die but the Millennium Star made him a real boy!

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

In general Tumble seems to serve little purpose. He's clearly the new Toad, but at the same time, they just split Toad's position into two. It could have just been the Millenium Star by itself.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So we go straight from the ice into the ocean. It seems like as we go the boards get more difficult to traverse. This will continue to be true for a while.

Story Mode - Deep Bloober Sea

I do like the board however, except for the one spot where it's random on which way you end up going.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Have fun with dueling Yoshi.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Folt The Bolt posted:

Have fun with dueling Yoshi.

I'm sure it will go well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the happening spaces that give you a choice in where to move. That's a good innovation.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
So did you lose the game audio or was the music a design choice? :v:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The audio wasn't lost per say. It was more along the lines of corrupted and unbearable to listen to. We did get it solved, but this recording session will have added music this time.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

MR. J posted:

So did you lose the game audio or was the music a design choice? :v:

Sssshhhhh you weren't suppose to point it out.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Yeah... don't think the "kindness" stamp is really living up to its name. "I'm the kindest one around, and I'll beat you within an inch of your life if you disagree with me!"

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Maybe it's thematic in that you have to display kindness to the rear end in a top hat fish and squids on the board who try to make your life miserable.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I had thought that maybe the stamp corresponded to the type of board that was going to be played in the duels. But as we will come to see, that is not the case.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I so want to say what the stamps actually correspond to, but I'm not sure if I want to spoil it. A pattern does exist though.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So now it's time to prove just how kind we are by beating Yoshi to an inch of his life. Hope you brought your cookies for this one.

Story Mode - Arrowhead

So now that we've seen two sets of the story mode, I'm really interested in everyone's thoughts on the first campaign like mode for Mario Party.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Well, as a kid, I really liked it, actually. Once I got used to the flow, I actually had a swell time trying to get to the end. I also rather liked how it was set up with normal "battles" where you did standard MP stuff, and pseudo-boss battles through Duel Mode though the last two bosses kinda broke the mold. Like the first and second Mario Parties, I eventually 100%ed it in that I got access to all the content.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I haven't ever 100% a Mario Party. My mom got way more into them than I did and did her best to beat them to completion. She is very sad with the direction the series has gone in now.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Neat. I actually like 9 and 10 (if those are the ones she's sad about) but I'm curious about Mario Party: Top 100 and the boards of that one (which doesn't sound like they'll be going with 9 or 10s way of doing things). Kinda hoping the characters get their own board again or maybe have some oldies make a reappearance just for this game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Folt The Bolt posted:

Neat. I actually like 9 and 10 (if those are the ones she's sad about) but I'm curious about Mario Party: Top 100 and the boards of that one (which doesn't sound like they'll be going with 9 or 10s way of doing things). Kinda hoping the characters get their own board again or maybe have some oldies make a reappearance just for this game.

I thought Top 100 was just a minigame collection?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought Top 100 was just a minigame collection?

http://marioparty100.nintendo.com/

quote:

Speed things up with simple minigame instructions and a Favorites options for quick selection. You can even set the number of turns for board-game play!

So I'm fairly certain it's not just minigames.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like the campaign mode, I don't like multiplayer stuff being locked behind it in a multiplayers-focused game. I can't recall how much Smash Bros had the same issue, if I get a game to play with friends having single-player stuff is great but I don't want "hold on guys I gota do this first, watch me play".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I like the campaign mode, I don't like multiplayer stuff being locked behind it in a multiplayers-focused game. I can't recall how much Smash Bros had the same issue, if I get a game to play with friends having single-player stuff is great but I don't want "hold on guys I gota do this first, watch me play".
At least with Smash Bros. after the first one, you can unlock all the hidden characters if you exclusively play Vs. mode. Melee was pretty strict because you'd have to play 1000 Vs. matches to unlock all the hidden characters, but you can unlock all the characters in Smash 4 in one-tenth of that amount. The stage unlock requirements also got easier.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Also the fun of Smash Bros isn't as dependent on having multiple people. The single player stuff is generally a fun time. I really liked the Melee and the Wii's 'story mode.' Especially the Subspace Emissary on the Wii.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate the idea of a solo campaign mode thingy, but it does feel like the entire RNG is arrayed against you, instead of switch-hitting you and your buddy on the couch within thumpin' range.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The RNG also seems to crank itself to 11 during the last turn or so. Most of our failed attempts seem to fall apart at the very last second. But we're not doing story mode today!

Multiplayer - Deep Bloober Sea

So even though Calli plays a lot more because of the Story Mode. I am technically there watching as well. So I understand how the board works just as much as she does. So this time around, we can vote. Who will win?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
:yeah: Peach's Got It!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pity vote for Michael.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Kilza posted:

I'm just going to go with whoever has the most coins at the end of 10 turns for the Mario Party 3 voting (and spoil tag it for anybody who hasn't watched yet).

Gonna keep this up and vote -----Luigi----- this time around.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Tough one to call but will go for Daisy

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Screwed by a mystery block star at the end, AI Luigi.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is not Calli's lucky board. I'll go Peach.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I believe in you Yoshi!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I haven't seen it yet but I'm voting Calli.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

As Always, voting Calli

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
It's looking like Peach is gonna take this one. Sorry guys.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
I say Daisy will win.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Secretly self-sabotaged via tumblr. Go Yoshi!

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The voting this time around couldn't be more opposite to last time. It's amazing and exactly what I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Michael, are you going to continue posting updates here, or are you going to join Calli in leaving? Please don't quit doing polls for the winners in the thread.

• Locked thread