Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Calli please don't hate me but I want to see the rest of mini-game island.
Also I got a lot of nostalgia hearing that thumbstick grinding along the edges of the N64 controller.
Totally didn't know about those alternate controllers! Wish I'd gotten one because the trident was just sort of awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

"It will take a large sum of money." Is Calli's response. In reality. If Mini-Game Island is finished, it will most likely be done by myself. Maybe even in a stream. That might make it better.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mini-Game Island isn't meant to be played all at once, or at least I didn't like to play it as such. I will say, putting Paddle Battle so early is a supreme dick move even though the computers are on the Easy difficulty level. I also got stuck on Handcar Havoc because of the turn where you fell off of. Other potential stumbling points: Pipe Maze in World 7 (you have to control the treasure chest), Mario Bandstand at the end of World 7 (you're always picked to be the conductor, which is harder than playing the instruments), and two instances of Slot Car Derby, one in World 9 and one as the secret final game to unlock the bonus minigame. Oh, and those bonus minigames don't show up on any of the boards- you can only play them from the Minigame Shop.

tl;dr: I don't blame Calli.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I have such fond memories of the island too. I don't remember having this many problems with it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

If Teddy behaves this bad as a dog, how bad would he be as a cat?

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Sorry to hear Teddy was being a pain. But then pets can be like that. I remember back when my cat was still with us one thing she loved to do was sneak up while we were watching TV or playing games or something, stick her arm through a gap between the seats in the couch, stab one of us with her claw, and make a break for it.

Anyway, the set-up for mini-game island is certainly an interesting concept, but having no way through but to beat certain nigh-impossible mini-games is not the best design choice as nobody is going to be good at all of them.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

oldskool posted:

Calli please don't hate me but I want to see the rest of mini-game island.
Also I got a lot of nostalgia hearing that thumbstick grinding along the edges of the N64 controller.
Totally didn't know about those alternate controllers! Wish I'd gotten one because the trident was just sort of awkward.

I can't hate you darling. If I do the rest of mini game island I'm going to need a stronger drink then coca-cola.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least you can go back to a save point before you attempt one of the bullshit minigames on Mini-Game Island. You can't say that about MP2's equivalent, which is why I never completed it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Mini-Game Island isn't meant to be played all at once, or at least I didn't like to play it as such. I will say, putting Paddle Battle so early is a supreme dick move even though the computers are on the Easy difficulty level. I also got stuck on Handcar Havoc because of the turn where you fell off of. Other potential stumbling points: Pipe Maze in World 7 (you have to control the treasure chest), Mario Bandstand at the end of World 7 (you're always picked to be the conductor, which is harder than playing the instruments), and two instances of Slot Car Derby, one in World 9 and one as the secret final game to unlock the bonus minigame. Oh, and those bonus minigames don't show up on any of the boards- you can only play them from the Minigame Shop.

tl;dr: I don't blame Calli.

Not gonna lie: I wish there was some successor to Minigame Island in the newest Mario Parties. It was cool going on it and see all those hints as to what minigame I'd be playing next.

On the other hand, my first time around, I only really had problems with the rotation stick minigames and the Slot Car Derby ones (and the Crane Game one, and Bowl Over until I learned the controls on the shell). I actually got through the rest just fine (Pipe Maze is incredibly easy to me, I'm almost always able to see the route the chest needs to take to reach me so if I was the one steering the chest, it was basically a free 10 coins, Mario Bandstand I had learned the conductor controls by the time I came to it, though Hot Rope Jump surprised me at the time since it needed 40, rather than 20 jumps like in the main version).

I also got through the Minigame Coaster (on all three difficulties) in the sequel as well, though the Mecha Shy Guy one was a big source for my problems for a while. Now I only somewhat struggle with it compared to how unmerciful it was at the time.

On the other hand, I somewhat miss the co-operation games from the first Mario Party compared to the other Mario Parties. Running of the Bulb and Key-pa-Way were pretty fun.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I could never get over the loss of games like Bash n' Cash in every MP game past the first one. Stuff like Duel and Battle Minigames made them redundant, but it feels so good to overtly steal from other players.

I also didn't like that starting in MP2, the amount of games that weren't free-for-all coin collecting games like Coin Block Blitz and Treasure Divers went way down.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

NOW comes the divorce material!

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Samovar posted:

NOW comes the divorce material!

Either you broke into my computer and watched the new episode, or you're one of the 4 views that got in before I could post this. I mean, what? What are you talking about?

UPDATE
Eternal Star Part 1

Please note that this is the second last video for Mario Party 1. It is also your last chance to vote. This time around, voting will only be going on until Saturday. Please keep in mind that we are in Canadian Mountain time. So make sure to get that vote in as soon as possible. You can still vote after if you like, but it won't be getting counted for this round. That said. Enjoy the semi-finale to the first game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Warmal posted:

Either you broke into my computer and watched the new episode, or you're one of the 4 views that got in before I could post this. I mean, what?

Oh, methods, techniques... My spies are everywhere.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ah, this must be the recording Calli talked about in CirclMaster's stream. :getin:

With that evidence in mind it's gotta be Michael.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Peach's got it!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The best part about Eternal Star is that once you get 100 stars and beat Bowser's Magma Mountain, Bowser breaks into the bank and steals all of your stars. To get them back, you have to go down the Warp Pipe, where you're forced to play this board. If you have four controllers, you can just make everyone human players at the end and cheese a victory, but I think if you don't win, you have to play it again. Don't quote me on that last bit.

I also completely forgot that Bowser can steal stars from you in the last two boards. There's a reason why that doesn't happen ever again in the Mario Party series.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
First time guessing!
I'm betting Hard CPU/Wario's got it this round. There's too much bullshit the AI can know to get by ahead of time for this to work out well.

Caught up on this LP after watching the Mario Party Advance one and I'm surprised it took this long for fuses to finally light.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I predict that Calli's great rage will allow her to become a Red Lanternwin.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Calli posted:

Can we just not live in the existence?

Wow... deep.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Wario has it this time, but not because he deserves it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
All Michael all the time.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Dude, blink twice if you're being held against your will.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Calli won Netrunner so I've gotta say Michael wins Mario Party.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I was told I would be paid :10bux: if I said Michael would win.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I am not being held against my will. Coincidentally, I am just blinking for the fun of it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does seem kind of sucky that the only thing Mario Party 1 thinks is good progression is "more and denser randomness".

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I'm gonna guess that the hard computer takes this one. The infighting is going to split the human coin/star supply too much. That and the computer probably can keep track of where all those teleporters go.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Reminder that today is the last day to vote. Get those votes in, even if you haven't seen the video. Though, you should watch it to see how it completely screwed me over in a mini-game.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hard computer wins. I have no faith in either of you.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So i think i was wrong about Mario Party 2. Its not very fun at all. Calli was right. She is always right.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'd argue that Mario Party 2 is the best of the early ones by miles. :v: Also I may or may not have music links planned for when you get to that game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mario Party 2 had better boards, except for the Bowser board which is still a heaping helping of bullshit.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

get that OUT of my face posted:

still a heaping helping of bullshit.
I'd argue that it's actually the best one! :eng101:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

FINAL MARIO PARTY EPISODE

It was a hard fought battle, but we've finally made it. Thank you everyone for joining us on this first step in our journey. The OP has been updated and the standings for everything will be reset for Mario Party 2. Calli and I are still discussing it. But the winners of the guessing game may get to be a part of something later. We'll see.

Eternal Star - Part 2 & Credits

We'll see you next week in Mario Party 2, continued in this thread.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, sweet Jesus I can feel the burning bile in this one.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
This pleases the Mario Party gods. At least 2 is slightly less bullshit.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well, that happened. At least Mario Party 1 is done forever and you never need to look at it again.

I look forward to cheering Peach in future games.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The rage, it's so palpable you can cut it with a knife.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
So out of curiosity has Fawful made it into any of the later Mario Party games? Because I'm pretty sure Calli has fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The end of this sounds like when my fiancee and I play games against each other, lots of salt and "You always win!!"

• Locked thread