Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've only played the first two Mario Party games at length. I think the second one was the better game, but I liked that there were minigames in the first one where you could steal coins. Mario Party without Grab Bag and Bash n Cash just doesn't feel the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Calli sounded so saccharine sweet throughout this video. Except for when she let out a disgusting belch.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You mention Mario Kart is a bigger catalyst for the breakdown for friendships and I can totally see that. If you gang up on a computer, it becomes a team thing. There is no such thing for that when you throw a Blue Shell.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm all for increasing the amount of updates. Just don't wear yourselves out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In Ghost Guess, you pick out which Boo is leading the movements, not which one is doing something differently. It's a weird game, since you have a lot to keep track of and you can also look at the shadows for guidance.

The minecart minigame is the worst. The camera actively screws you over on one turn so that it's hard to tell which direction you have to lean in to not fall. I've lost too many times to count on that one part.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

RickVoid posted:

Luigi, because if he starts losing he's going to do his best to gently caress you all over.

Such is Luigi's Way.
So he'll do nothing.

My money's on Yoshi for this map. He and Peach will team up to keep the computers at bay, but he'll win this time, though it will close due to end-of-game stars.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Aw, Calli had so much confidence in the first part that evaporated in this video. :(

In this Mario Party, you have all the minigames available to you from the start, except for three that you have to unlock (and they won't appear in a given board). You do have to pay to unlock them in the minigame house.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rarity posted:

Chance Time is some next level bullshit
On the one hand, hearing how they took Chance Time away in future installments makes me sad, because that's a major part of the chaotic fun of Mario Party. On the other hand, it's complete bullshit and is responsible for many broken controls and more than a few ruined friendships.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yoshi looks dominant, so I'll pick him. And interruptions making both of you lose your trains of thought is what my parents do all the time. They're much older than you two, so it results in some derailed trains, so to speak.

The thing about the Switch is that it's good for people like Calli or me, who will buy Nintendo stuff because it appeals to us. But we're a niche audience. Other people would rather play AAA games on PS4 or Xbox One, while still others would rather play PC games and have a backed-up Steam library. I was listening to a podcast and someone said something that got me thinking: it's best if third-party stuff actually succeeds on the Switch. I'm sure a lot of people would love to play stuff like FIFA or Madden on the go, and if they're not scaled down too much, then they've got a whole new audience. If they're clunky failures, then it gets much harder for them to make inroads. Combining portable and home consoles into one is a pretty big risk. For what it's worth, I hear that Breath of the Wild is a great game, a shot in the arm that the series has needed for a while. I've heard comparisons to Skyrim (due to its expansive in-game world) and Fallout (due to in-game scarcity).

There's also some kind of negative exceptionalism that a fair chunk of people have towards Nintendo that gets me. One thing that was touched upon in an episode of a different LP: you're not hearing how VR is a stupid PlayStation gimmick, but if Nintendo pioneered it, you'd absolutely be hearing the g-word being thrown around. No system really comes out with a big library of games on first release, but somehow that's stated as a problem for Nintendo. And now people are whining that they're charging for online content in their games, which Sony has done since PS3 and Microsoft has been doing since they entered the console market. I guess it's that their problems aren't the problems facing other game makers, and that's bad. Or something.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sony didn't market the Eye as some sort of future of their console. Hell, I didn't even know about it until your post. On the other hand, Microsoft pushed Kinect pretty hard and got plenty of mockery for it. One thing out of many that people didn't like about the Xbox One launch was that Kinect was already installed on the system and you couldn't turn it off or detach it. Not only was that a "this is ruining their games" thing, there were privacy concerns over it keeping track of your every move. They wisely made it optional after that.

Some gamers just don't like change, really.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Remember when Nintendo announced a pretty standard, if not subdued, DLC plan for BotW and the internet lost its poo poo? Every other AAA game has 10 separate exclusive pre-order bonuses, a season pass, multiple Day 1 DLC items, cosmetic DLC and microtransactions and that's all well and expected.
No I didn't know this. Man, people are idiots.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I saw a picture of Gaston from the live-action Beauty and the Beast. He's not even close to the necessary levels of buff.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

oldskool posted:

I have a feeling Wario steals this one through Chance Time shenanigans.
I agree.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope Teddy got to move around a lot after that recording.

I don't blame you for ranting about grocery store happenings. Retail is hell to work in.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I say split it up, though I'm cool with whatever.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think Yoshi wins the day yet again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yoshi's Tropical Island and Wario's Battle Canyon are my two least-favorite boards in MP1, but at least Yoshi's board allows the characters to screw over each other via the Thwomp toll. Wario's board will screw you over with no rhyme or reason. You're just as well off looking away at the screen when the cannon launches you instead of looking at it.

There's a way to do this kind of board correctly. In fact, you can see it in the very next Mario Party game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of making money off the internet from eating things, this was one of my recommended videos while watching this episode. Yes, I watch this channel regularly.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Peachy's got it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Be yourselves during this LP! That's good advice for anyone who wants to make one, really.

I used to play Mini-Game Stadium a lot, and at once point I liked it more than the proper boards in the pipe.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think Mario wins this one, he's in good position for bonus stars.

Luigi's Engine Room is a good board. One of the star placements is ridiculous, but otherwise it was a workable gimmick, the Boo at the end keeps things close, and it has awesome music.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

After hearing how your relationship works, Calli will one day say "I want to have a baby" and it'll happen, as her word is law.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well, enjoy parenthood, both of you!

I know that Mario Party took a lengthy break between 8 and 9 after coming up with a new installment almost every year, but I didn't know that it came back by moving everyone all at once. That's a radical departure of core gameplay if there ever was one.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Why fight it? Michael will get it again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bowser's Magma Mountain is rear end. I'm pretty sure Bowser takes a star away from you if you pass him, since he "settled" for taking 20 coins from starless players in that video. And that "choose your path" game that leads to him or Boo is mandatory unless you take the shortcut that skips past that branch.

Again, though, great music.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was watching CirclMaster's FF6 stream and he read Calli's comment about the last recording you guys did and how you shouldn't bring it up. Dare I ask? Or will we know it when we see it?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mini-Game Island isn't meant to be played all at once, or at least I didn't like to play it as such. I will say, putting Paddle Battle so early is a supreme dick move even though the computers are on the Easy difficulty level. I also got stuck on Handcar Havoc because of the turn where you fell off of. Other potential stumbling points: Pipe Maze in World 7 (you have to control the treasure chest), Mario Bandstand at the end of World 7 (you're always picked to be the conductor, which is harder than playing the instruments), and two instances of Slot Car Derby, one in World 9 and one as the secret final game to unlock the bonus minigame. Oh, and those bonus minigames don't show up on any of the boards- you can only play them from the Minigame Shop.

tl;dr: I don't blame Calli.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least you can go back to a save point before you attempt one of the bullshit minigames on Mini-Game Island. You can't say that about MP2's equivalent, which is why I never completed it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I could never get over the loss of games like Bash n' Cash in every MP game past the first one. Stuff like Duel and Battle Minigames made them redundant, but it feels so good to overtly steal from other players.

I also didn't like that starting in MP2, the amount of games that weren't free-for-all coin collecting games like Coin Block Blitz and Treasure Divers went way down.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ah, this must be the recording Calli talked about in CirclMaster's stream. :getin:

With that evidence in mind it's gotta be Michael.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The best part about Eternal Star is that once you get 100 stars and beat Bowser's Magma Mountain, Bowser breaks into the bank and steals all of your stars. To get them back, you have to go down the Warp Pipe, where you're forced to play this board. If you have four controllers, you can just make everyone human players at the end and cheese a victory, but I think if you don't win, you have to play it again. Don't quote me on that last bit.

I also completely forgot that Bowser can steal stars from you in the last two boards. There's a reason why that doesn't happen ever again in the Mario Party series.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mario Party 2 had better boards, except for the Bowser board which is still a heaping helping of bullshit.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Computer controlled players either don't know about the phrase "happy wife, happy life" or know about it all too well.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't wait to see Calli's first encounter with MP2's Battle Minigames that come down to dumb luck and not skill.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Feeling confident with Mario. Consider making one a normal computer, even the easy one looks significantly improved from MP1.

Also, shoulda used the Magic Lamp immediately.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 14, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Toad sure likes to thrust fast when talking about Baby Bowser.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Was that made by the same friend who made the art of both of you on the YouTube channel? I dig both of them either way.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The channel art is cute, while that picture is reminiscent of Earthworm Jim-style art. Especially the eyes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I really think Michael should have taken the Thwomp path the first time in that video instead of being so hellbent on the Item Shop that he hit the Happening Space just for a shot at it. He could have gotten the Star if he did that.

On the other hand, Mario could have gotten that same star at the end if he took the first Thwomp instead of the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Warmal posted:

In my history of gaming, I've only ever thrown my controller one time. So I'm pretty confident it won't happen in this LP.
Oh, I'm not worried about you doing that.

• Locked thread