Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wario and I'm going to keep picking the Hard computer until you switch it up (which seems like the best course of action).

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Abandon Ship is a terrible minigame. If you don't mash A at the start, you end up in the water immediately.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Minigame Island in MP1 had its fair share of bullshit, but it let you go to a save point between every level, only had Hard CPUs in the later worlds, gave you an extra life when you completed a new minigame, and gave you the opportunity to grind for coins in case you ran low on lives. Minigame Coaster in MP2 has none of these things. The Hard path has Hard CPUs from the beginning to the end, and World 7 (the first world you can only access via that path) has all those walls mentioned by MR. J, which means you have to get very lucky in order to get by on however many lives you'll have at that point. I never bothered to finish it, which sucks for the completionist in me because I'm pretty sure you get a hidden 4-player minigame for beating it.

And just like Minigame Island had a fakeout at the end where you had to beat Toad in Slot Car Derby in order to win, Minigame Coaster's Hard path does as well. You have to fight three Baby Bowsers in a round of Shell Shocked (the tank minigame). I only know this because I saw a video completing it.

MR. J posted:

And even if you mash perfectly, it's a total crap shoot who wins because you can't out pace the screen scroll, but the AI can just squeeze past out at the very end because gently caress you.
As shown in the video, when Wario got an unbeatable boost of speed at the end for no reason.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm getting a little angry just watching the game rig things for the computer. Two Battle Minigames right before Calli could get to the star, tell me that wasn't predetermined bullshit.

Warmal posted:

We are forgoing our arbitrary rule on the computers though.
Do that to the "skip minigame explanations" rule too, you screwed yourselves over twice in 2-vs.-2 minigames.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 5, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

The real bullshit was Wario not stealing a star with
Boo because he knew the next star would appear in front of him.
That makes no sense, Wario would have had 3 coins to spare to buy it if he stole a Star instead. CPU hubris!

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 5, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Perhaps I'm naive (I hope not) but I have faith in Calli. I also had no idea that there was a Mini-Game Stadium in MP2.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I want to see what Teddy "being a baby" looks like.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Are you planning on keeping the sidebars in future videos? If my word matters any, I say keep them. Your channel art is adorable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'll go Yoshi/Michael, in spite of Wario cheating by knowing where the Star would be turns in advance so that he could take advantage of the Snifit Patrol. Also turn on the explanation screen holy poo poo is Michael bad at explaining things. (Or at least pause during the minigame so that Calli can learn what the controls are.) Having 4 human-controlled players is kind of mandatory for MP2.

Filet Rally is the most adorable minigame. The penguin squeaks when you deliver the fish drive it home.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You come at the king, you best not miss.

I think that there's a 100% chance that Mario Party 4 will be just as much of a letdown for Calli as MP2 is for Michael. All I know about MP4 is the Mega Mushroom/Mini Mushroom mechanic and that was pretty widely criticized as a bad gameplay decision.

MR. J posted:

Literally the worst board. Wario's Battle Canyon 2.
It's better than Wario's Battle Canyon because there's much less randomness to it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mystery Land is definitely the least creative board in MP2.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think Calli has learned from past mistakes to get over the hump this time, although I've never heard "Calgary" pronounced the way she says it.

After looking up the Calgary Stampede to check and see if it's like a giant county or state fair (pretty much), I noticed that the Saddledome hockey arena is shaped just like a saddle. I never understood why they called it that. :3: Alberta really is Canada's Texas.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There really aren't a lot of old Something Awful Let's Play regulars making LPs anymore, are there? Chip and Ironicus are the only ones that I can think of. Slowbeef has a job and a family to attend to, I haven't seen anything from Diabeetus in a while, same with the Pokecapn crew, and the Tipping 40s website is dead which wiped out all of their videos. Psychedelic Eyeball was one of the last ones until he got a ban that didn't show up in the Leper's Colony due to off-site silliness. Now he's just doing Twitch streams.

Never saw a Voidburger LP, probably never will either. I'd rather not get into why.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm pretty sure that TieTuesday (another Let's Play goon that no longer posts here or does LPs) does Twitch streams as his equivalent of a job. Getting paid to play video games for people on the internet seems fun on the surface, but it requires so much effort and planning. You have to constantly buy new games to play for the internet, have a schedule that's more or less consistent during multiple days a week, get your name out there with social media, and buy equipment for recording and the like. And God help you if Twitch changes their model in secret to a low enough payout that it's not even worth having a channel anymore, which is what YouTube did.

LPs are more low-effort and casual, both to make and to watch.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Calli's day is coming. She's come close twice, she'll get over the hump.

Mushrooms are pretty useless in Mystery Land. The only time it makes sense to buy one is if you're in the corner of the board with Toad and you want to be 100% sure that you'll get it. Usually that means you're with at least one other player jockeying for the star.

Skeleton Keys are completely optional in MP2- none of the paths that you open with it will ever have a Star, although the next board has something that's worth the trouble of going out of the way to get behind the door. I don't know much about MP3, but one of the things I do know is that Stars will sometimes pop up behind locked doors. That's not the only questionable gameplay decision made in that installation, either.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only mandatory course on Minigame Coaster is Normal, since beating that gives you the Dungeon Dash minigame. Seems like you got over the early roadblock long ago.

World 7 is Hard course only and that's even worse. I never bothered to finish it every time I rented MP2. Coaster manages to be worse than Island in many ways.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MR. J posted:

It was the very last thing on MP1's island. I think you raced against three Toads.
No, you play Slot Car Derby in World 9 first. I think it's 9-2 and it's always the oval track. The final challenge is racing Toad and two other characters on the curved track.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is it folks, this is the one where Calli gets back on top.

Horror Land is the best board in MP2 by far. There's so much more going on here than in the other boards we've seen so far.

Edit: Michael please post Baby Mode Teddy

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 24, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Warmal posted:

Here is baby mode.

Yessss that's the good poo poo right there.

Edit: I'm all for moving the episode schedule to two days a week. You've got a lot of Mario Party to play yet, and if it's possible to speed it up then I don't see the harm in that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is tough, but I'll go back to the status quo and say Michael.

IMO Bowser Land isn't anywhere nearly as bullshit as Magma Mountain or Eternal Star, but as you've shown, it's got its fair share of annoying gimmicks that can take away all your coins. That stretch of three Happening Spaces has the potential to really screw up whoever lands on it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm going with Calli again, she's got the momentum, the confidence, and the swagger of a champion.

Personally, I don't want a Waluigi game. No, what I want is a game where Wario and Waluigi go around pulling pranks on people, sort of like an anti-Mario & Luigi RPG. I will pay all the money for that game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I like the campaign mode, I don't like multiplayer stuff being locked behind it in a multiplayers-focused game. I can't recall how much Smash Bros had the same issue, if I get a game to play with friends having single-player stuff is great but I don't want "hold on guys I gota do this first, watch me play".
At least with Smash Bros. after the first one, you can unlock all the hidden characters if you exclusively play Vs. mode. Melee was pretty strict because you'd have to play 1000 Vs. matches to unlock all the hidden characters, but you can unlock all the characters in Smash 4 in one-tenth of that amount. The stage unlock requirements also got easier.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is not Calli's lucky board. I'll go Peach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Michael, are you going to continue posting updates here, or are you going to join Calli in leaving? Please don't quit doing polls for the winners in the thread.

• Locked thread