Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

CirclMastr posted:

I predict Michael will win.

Also I am in the same boat with my SNES recordings, where it seems like it fits 16:9 too well but also doesn't appear to be stretched. I have given up.

It's stretched. It's definitely supposed to be 4:3, the easiest way to tell are the things that are supposed to be square like the dice blocks or the star/Bowser roulette block.

The SNES is an interesting case, because despite ultimately displaying at 4:3 it didn't actually have square pixels. The resolution of the SNES graphics pixel-wise is 8:7, but it would be stretched to 4:3 by the TV. Not every game takes this into account - a lot of games treat the pixels as if they were square pixels. Which makes sense, because the SNES displayed graphics mostly using 8x8 tiles. So, for example, blocks in Super Mario World are 16x16 pixels but would be stretched to be effectively 18⅔x16 pixels. What this means is that even when displayed "correctly" the SNES is usually stretched a little horizontally anyway.

I'm going to vote for Calli because she said not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Calli posted:

Can we just not live in the existence?

Wow... deep.

• Locked thread