Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Luigi's Engine Room is probably my second favorite board from the Mario Party 1 era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

Mini-Game Island isn't meant to be played all at once, or at least I didn't like to play it as such. I will say, putting Paddle Battle so early is a supreme dick move even though the computers are on the Easy difficulty level. I also got stuck on Handcar Havoc because of the turn where you fell off of. Other potential stumbling points: Pipe Maze in World 7 (you have to control the treasure chest), Mario Bandstand at the end of World 7 (you're always picked to be the conductor, which is harder than playing the instruments), and two instances of Slot Car Derby, one in World 9 and one as the secret final game to unlock the bonus minigame. Oh, and those bonus minigames don't show up on any of the boards- you can only play them from the Minigame Shop.

tl;dr: I don't blame Calli.

Not gonna lie: I wish there was some successor to Minigame Island in the newest Mario Parties. It was cool going on it and see all those hints as to what minigame I'd be playing next.

On the other hand, my first time around, I only really had problems with the rotation stick minigames and the Slot Car Derby ones (and the Crane Game one, and Bowl Over until I learned the controls on the shell). I actually got through the rest just fine (Pipe Maze is incredibly easy to me, I'm almost always able to see the route the chest needs to take to reach me so if I was the one steering the chest, it was basically a free 10 coins, Mario Bandstand I had learned the conductor controls by the time I came to it, though Hot Rope Jump surprised me at the time since it needed 40, rather than 20 jumps like in the main version).

I also got through the Minigame Coaster (on all three difficulties) in the sequel as well, though the Mecha Shy Guy one was a big source for my problems for a while. Now I only somewhat struggle with it compared to how unmerciful it was at the time.

On the other hand, I somewhat miss the co-operation games from the first Mario Party compared to the other Mario Parties. Running of the Bulb and Key-pa-Way were pretty fun.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Ah, Space Land. It used to be one of my favorite boards in Mario Party 2. (These days, it's Horror Land.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

The only mandatory course on Minigame Coaster is Normal, since beating that gives you the Dungeon Dash minigame. Seems like you got over the early roadblock long ago.

World 7 is Hard course only and that's even worse. I never bothered to finish it every time I rented MP2. Coaster manages to be worse than Island in many ways.

Both Normal and Hard are mandatory I believe so you can get the Item and Battle Minigames to play whenever you want and in doing so get the Piranha Plant to give you Rainbow Run, the final minigame (it's 1v. 3). If that sounds like too much effort to you, it is: Rainbow Run is essentially the Mario Party 2 version of Tightrope Treachery flavored in a sky theme instead of a beach/sea/pirate theme. (+ the super-secret complex 1-Player minigame you could try to set records on that the early Mario Parties loved to have as a kind of ultimate unlockable for achieving stuff.)

Anyways, I loved Minigame Island, not due to how they set it up as kinda like a standard 2D Mario overworld (but with minigames instead of levels), but they even themed the minigames according to the locations they were found in.

As for why I know that, I cleared the Easy, Normal, and Hard courses on the Minigame Coaster and subsequently got every Minigame to play and train at whenever I wanted to... + being able to listen to the Minigame Coaster Music whenever I wanted to because I thought (and still think) that the Coaster overworld music was rad, especially the latter ones.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Horror Land is an amazing board. I love it due to it's aesthetics, it's gimmick, and what you can do on it.

(Also, it means I can play as Luigi as a Wizard which is all kinds of great!)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bowser Land is kinda interesting since it's the only MP2 board where the players do not have a costume. (Perhaps because Bowser chased them off during the intro.)

It's kind of become my second favorite board of this game (favorite being Horror Land). If I remember correctly, it's the only board in this game where Happening Spaces do something different depending on where you step on them.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

MR. J posted:

I was close. DK had you guys scared for a bit, didn't he?

I hope you plan to intersperse the duel boards between the party boards in MP3. Going through all of one and then all of another can get monotonous.
Ah, Duel Mode. I remember having quite a bit of fun with that one. Much like Mario Party 1 and Mario Party 2, I ended up unlocking all of the stuff I could in Mario Party 3.

Mario Party 3 is also the first Mario Party to have the story be a separate mode if I recall. An idea could be to intersperse the party and duel boards in the order that Story Mode did it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Warmal posted:

It is. Especially since you don't get the stamp just for winning. We spent hours trying to beat that map and Wario just waltzes in and says he should get it.

But at least Wario won't show up as an opponent for Chilly Waters at all, no matter what you do.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Warmal posted:

I think it would have been better if he was one of the computers on the board. That way he can at least claim that it should have been him that won. Since the person who gets the stamps is supposed to be the one who gets the board.

Dear god, lets hope I still have the memory card with the saves.

Well... He doesn't show up for Chilly Waters because he's the designated Wit Star Stamp Duel Map Opponent (because he has the best "wit" of them all) because Mario Party 3's Story Mode takes you through every normal and Duel board in order (sans a certain part of the game). Think of him as a boss in game terms.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Warmal posted:

I totally get that they are supposed to be like bosses that you duel. I just don't think it fits when the idea is the person who gets the stamp is the one who wins the main board. I think it would fit better into the story thats being presented if the Duel Board character was also in the main board part.

But anyway. Neither Calli nor I knew about the Duel Boards or what they were really. So of course we go into this without reading the rules. ENJOY!

Story Mode - Gate Guy

So we are going to be doing all of story mode. But it's going to be broken up. So next week everyone will be getting to vote since we will be putting out the multiplayer episodes.

I think the idea is that they argue that because they're the prime representative of the quality indicated by the Stamp, they deserve special treatment. This is something that's going to happen again.

In terms of my own experience with it, I don't find Wario to be a very hard opponent to play against because I think Bob-Omb is probably one of the worst ones (it's only advantage is that it can bypass your shield for a direct hit, but Wario will lose it afterwards which leaves that side of Wario unprotected). His biggest threat to you might be through the minigames since I think Wario is touted as specializing in exactly the type of minigame that appears in Duel Mode. The other characters you'll meet have more dangerous starting partners for the most part.

As for Peach's partner, Toad is alright. He has the worst offensive and defensive parameters, but is extremely cheap and stops your opponent from taking your money whenever you land on a space that they own. He's a tactical investment.

Every Duel Map also has a gimmick associated with it. Gate Guy is one of the simplest because there's two gates blocking the middle path who you'll need to pay to get access to.

Also, I agree that doing Story Mode in-between multiplayer is probably for the best. You might want to play some duel boards against each other too, just so you know what you're doing.

It's also probably a good idea to get to know the partners you can get because some are of course better than the others.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

When I went with Duel Mode, I'd generally favorize getting the Goomba and Boo over the other partners; Goomba for being a generally cheap partner with good offense, and Boo because gently caress your partner killing my Boo here's the damage you gave me back!

(So I always picked Luigi because he starts with Goomba.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Duel Mode I think is one of the legit best modes in Mario Party you never knew you wanted.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Have fun with dueling Yoshi.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I so want to say what the stamps actually correspond to, but I'm not sure if I want to spoil it. A pattern does exist though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Well, as a kid, I really liked it, actually. Once I got used to the flow, I actually had a swell time trying to get to the end. I also rather liked how it was set up with normal "battles" where you did standard MP stuff, and pseudo-boss battles through Duel Mode though the last two bosses kinda broke the mold. Like the first and second Mario Parties, I eventually 100%ed it in that I got access to all the content.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Neat. I actually like 9 and 10 (if those are the ones she's sad about) but I'm curious about Mario Party: Top 100 and the boards of that one (which doesn't sound like they'll be going with 9 or 10s way of doing things). Kinda hoping the characters get their own board again or maybe have some oldies make a reappearance just for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought Top 100 was just a minigame collection?

http://marioparty100.nintendo.com/

quote:

Speed things up with simple minigame instructions and a Favorites options for quick selection. You can even set the number of turns for board-game play!

So I'm fairly certain it's not just minigames.

• Locked thread