Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmal posted:

As bullshit as chance time is. It's still a vital part of the original games. I like that it's both a test of skill and luck. You have to plan out which blocks to hit in what order. And usually the first block you can guarantee what you get. Usually.

Chance Time is when Mario Party gets real and should never have been removed. You can absolutely clown your friends with an obscene lead from Turns 1-20, but the moment those reels start spinning all bets are off and there is a very real chance two players about to watch a third strangle the fourth with their controller cord.

get that OUT of my face posted:

On the one hand, hearing how they took Chance Time away in future installments makes me sad, because that's a major part of the chaotic fun of Mario Party. On the other hand, it's complete bullshit and is responsible for many broken controls and more than a few ruined friendships.

Mario Party is not meant to be fair in the slightest. At its core is a game of chance between four people rather than against the house, so no matter who loses someone else has succeeded. And possibly tested the limits of a relationship of some kind with another player, platonic or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

As to old school Mario Party opinions, 3 is the best. It has kinda crap board design but the minigames are the most fun and most varied and have almost no repeats from 2.

I haven't played 3 in years, but I'm quite partial to 5's special brand of dickery with the Capsules. Once those start getting placed as Spaces on the board, it's anyone's guess as to whether that particular blue coin space is going to be benevolent or the Piranha Plant someone placed four turns ago eating half your coins.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Glazius posted:

Wow. This level is like, ten coinflips in a row and they all have to land for you to get the star. That's just cruel.

Wait til you get to Mario Party 4, the entire game is designed like that due to the over-reliance on Mini/Mega Mushrooms. Most of the boards will gently caress you over, or lock out everything interesting about it, because you don't have a Mini or Mega Mushroom on-hand. Some will just plain lock you into a corner of the map because of this until you get one, or land on the exact right space to escape.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmal posted:

The creators stated that they made that change because the found players were not engaged when it wasn't there turn. They would stop paying attention and probably do other things. So to keep everyone engaged they put everyone in a car so that you need to pay attention to know what to do. Unfortunately, this also meant that the computers had an incredibly easy time winning as it's a computer system. RNG just doesn't seem to matter when the computer can calculate the best move even on Easy mode.

Plus it's only true for the first five or so turns. After that, people have Stars and the money to afford Boo's services or the better items and everyone is keeping their eye on what happens in case it fucks them over. By Turn 20, it's silent due to multiple seething grudges between everyone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

get that OUT of my face posted:

I can't wait to see Calli's first encounter with MP2's Battle Minigames that come down to dumb luck and not skill.

Mario Party 2: Chaos Reigns! :black101:

Personally I'm looking forward to Pirate Land and seeing how many turns it takes for someone to actually make it across the goddamn bridge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmal posted:

And Here is that Update

Pirate Land Part 1

It was everything I hoped it would be :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmal posted:

In my history of gaming, I've only ever thrown my controller one time. So I'm pretty confident it won't happen in this LP.
That said. No need to pass the salt, we have plenty of our own.

Pirate Land Part 2

And the OP should now be updated with the new standings and Power Star Guesses.

The real winner in Pirate Land is always the bridge. Nobody beats the bridge :unsmigghh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samovar posted:

Honestly, the bridge thing was uncanny.

Anyone who has played Mario Party 2 growing up can call that one. The Happening Spaces are placed so you'll hit them more often than not :gibs:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm betting on at least one Hootenanny to screw everyone over.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've never seen a Mario Party round where people were actively hurting for Coins to the point buying items was a real issue, outside of maybe one player getting absolutely shafted for a few turns by Boo's and minigames. Most of the time you're sitting on 40-100 Coins just trying to get to the Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Folt The Bolt posted:

Neat. I actually like 9 and 10 (if those are the ones she's sad about) but I'm curious about Mario Party: Top 100 and the boards of that one (which doesn't sound like they'll be going with 9 or 10s way of doing things). Kinda hoping the characters get their own board again or maybe have some oldies make a reappearance just for this game.

I thought Top 100 was just a minigame collection?

• Locked thread