Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know this is jumping ahead a bit in the series, but i think it's interesting that the director for the new Mario Party games has said in interviews that the change in gameplay from a more traditional board game to what it is now because every time he has personally played the old Mario Parties and sombody was falling behind or not having fun because they aren't winning minigames or whatever they would stop paying attention to the game until it was their turn to go. Therefore the best option to fix this is to have everybody move as one group in the car so that theoretically everybody is always paying attention because each the actions of one person can influence everybody.

i can kind of agree with this philosophy. The newer games definitely take less time to play so there's much less downtime of watching the animations of people going around the board and buying items and what not. Not to mention that sometimes the game can just be downright mean even without player intervention, and if you aren't skilled enough to win at least a few of the minigames you're kind of hosed because you aren't getting money which you need to do anything. Which means more time not really caring what's going on because you know it's going to take a miracle for you to win. Unless maybe you are playing one of the longer turn limit games but why in god's name would you do that? :psyduck:

But i can tell you from personal experience that the newer games, more so than the older ones, have problems with people mentally checking out of the game. Maybe this is because the group of friends i have prefer the older games to the newer ones as well, but when somebody is really,really far ahead in ministars there's not much to be done directly since the new games no longer let the players gently caress with one another (no directly stealing anything outside of using your dice block to land on event spaces which may or not help you in that regard).

As to old school Mario Party opinions, 3 is the best. It has kinda crap board design but the minigames are the most fun and most varied and have almost no repeats from 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

From 2 onwards characters had certain items they would buy or try to get over all others. I don't believe 1 has anything like that since the game is so simple. The AI is always a cheating rear end in a top hat that targets the player over all others.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Aesthetically it looks awesome, i love the toy box/display war thing they have going on but the cannons are very annoying since you have no choice but to get launched if you walk past the bomb. I don't know if maybe they did playtesting and found that people didn't use the cannon enough if they weren't forced to or something i think maybe if they let it be the players choice to be launched or not and have it cost 5 coins it would be a bit better if maybe a bit slower.

Although i had forgotten about the "Bowser Island" in the middle of the map there, i like how they did this kind of gimmick better in Waluigi Island in Mario Part 3 though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait til you get to Mario Party 4, the entire game is designed like that due to the over-reliance on Mini/Mega Mushrooms. Most of the boards will gently caress you over, or lock out everything interesting about it, because you don't have a Mini or Mega Mushroom on-hand. Some will just plain lock you into a corner of the map because of this until you get one, or land on the exact right space to escape.

Yeah, on top of that, both mushrooms could screw you over even if you used them in the correct way.

IIRC, Mega mushrooms made you roll 3 dice and you passed over board events (meaning you could walk right by the star if you rolled to high) and with mini you could only roll 1-3 or something like that? So hopefully you landed right in front of where you needed to be tiny at or you were screwed.

5 makes up for it with the capsules though, lots of oppertunity to screw other players with the effects some of those had.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It's possible but usually not likely since the spawn points on most of the maps are more than 10 spaces away from each other.

Definitely possible with Luigi's Engine Room as the next map coming up.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Most of my early memories of playing MP1 are from the Minigame Stadium exactly for the pile of coins your guys stand on, plus you coulden't get lost in it which made it probably the best for my little kid self :v:. I lost a lot of games at first because i didn't know what "rotate" meant, so i would hit every button as fast i could but it never occured to me to spin the stick in a circle until a smart friend i was playing with told me what that word was.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I know the conversation about the later games is basically already over but can we all at least agree that ANY OTHER MP game is better than Star Rush on the 3DS? God that game is weird and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Sillyman posted:

I disagree entirely about Star Rush and I think it's a good game, but then again I also think 10 is better than 8. It's just... Star Rush isn't a Mario Party game, in the same way that Monopoly Deal isn't a Monopoly game. and that's probably a good thing

I will grant you that some of the games in Star Rush aren't bad on their own, but then they just had to pack like 6 other mediocre to bad games to go along with it.

New Mario Party on the Switch when :sigh:

• Locked thread