Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Lord Justice posted:

The N64 controller does actually make sense if you consider the design. I don't have any sources, but the basic deal with it is that it was a hedged bet. Nintendo didn't know if the whole 3D thing was actually going to work and take off, plus they wanted old style support for games that would use a D-Pad. Basically, the controller supports two modes: holding the middle for stick controls and 3D movement, and the left for using the D-Pad. That's why the Z-Button is underneath the middle part, it's meant to be a replacement for the L button on the left. I might be misremembering, but I don't think any N64 games use the D-Pad and the stick at the same time, because they're meant to be mutually exclusive control methods.

The system's manual showed the D-pad/stick combo as one possible input method, but it was barely used. One exception is Goldeneye, as it replicates the functionality of R and the C-buttons to L and the D-pad in all single controller control schemes so you can hold the controller that way for it. You're still stuck having to use A and B in that situation though, which is rather uncomfortable.

If you want a good N64 controller that actually can be held in a normal manner, you might wanna look at the SuperPad 64/MakoPad 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread