Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It's the only revibal show that's still as good as the original

It needs a Netflix or amazo season...

I'd argue that the new season was better than the old; they had nothing good to say about any of the current MTV programming, and them trashing poo poo is always funnier than when they love something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

...and the pitch! posted:

In my opinion the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year.

And also my favourite episode, I think.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Connie: Bleh, steak again? How many cows do you people eat in a month?

Hank: Now hold on... we figured this out once...

This really shows that the writing here was fantastic. See, I love Hank's response here, it's perfect, yet this show was quickly overshadowed by dumb poo poo like Family Guy, and that's a shame. Subtlety trumps deliberate humour.

"Hey Lois, 'member that time I fahted?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Testikles posted:

King of the Hill had a pretty good run and stood up against a few heavy contenders. When KOTH started The Simpsons was a juggernaut already in its 8th season and still hadn't run out of gas yet. It arguably wouldn't for another couple seasons more. South Park was released the same year as KOTH while definitely airing at a different time and attracting a more mature (older) audience, it could undercut the more subdued and subtle humour KOTH was going for. In 1999 it would be popular enough for a feature length film. Then there was Futurama that same year, which had the sensibilities of the Simpsons in a fantastic Sci-Fi universe. Also debuting was Family Guy, which for all its faults, had a very different kind of pace and humour and honestly in the first couple of seasons was actually funny. It of course got cancelled twice (2000 and 2002) and then returned in 2005. KOTH managed to last until 2010, so it didn't get overshadowed by dumber or louder shows. It was a solid part of the FOX line up for a long time, but it eventually ran its course. We should be thankful that it ended when it did, and instead hasn't become a horrible zombie version of itself like The Simpsons, or a heartless freakshow like Family Guy.

Actually, I agree with all of this. I guess I'm so used to hearing people IRL complain about King of the Hill, and it just amazes me how hard it is to find a fan of this show.

Yes, Family Guy, when it came out, was certainly something new, at least for the line up of animated shows. But man, it could have ended about 6-7 years ago, easily.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

N. Senada posted:

that diet dr pepper can is really undermining the whole aesthetic

Bobbeh, we don't talk to diet soda drinkers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Harveygod posted:

Achtane! Not a Children is on the phone!

Achtane: Hi, Not a Children.
Not a Children: You don't know who this is...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

empty baggie posted:

A few weeks ago at work, I was watching a pocket sand video on YouTube, and a coworker who has never seen KotH saw it over my shoulder, and ever since had referenced pocket sand as many times as possible, without knowing any context or even knowing what KotH is. I wish I could tell him where to watch it, since he's been so exited about one lovely YouTube video, but there's nowhere to watch full episodes online that he has access to, so pocket sand is getting pretty close to being completely on my nerves and ruined forever.

And yeah, dudes pretty annoying and latches onto everything he hears without knowing what it really is. He says "bye Felicia" every day when he leaves work even though he's never seen Friday or knows what the phrase even means in the first place. He just heard it one time.

Ugh, I work with a guy like this, only sometimes he does know the full context of a joke, but will just keep repeating the joke over and over. Like, dude... Try having at least one original thought in your head.

He also comes to work in jorts, so I guess I'm not too surprised.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rad Thibideyoxex.

Living in eastern Canada with a LOT of (properly pronounced) Acadian/French names, this was my favourite.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My favourite is Hank talking to those two guys about Ladybird's infertility. He thinks they're brothers, and then it jumps ahead to him explaining in vitro to Peggy later at home. The line went something like "I met these two guys at the dog park, and before everything went horribly wrong, they told me about in-vitro fertilization."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't like talking about King of the Hill ending :smith: I prefer to think of it as constantly airing somewhere, new for somebody, even those who have already watched it. :unsmith:

I'm only half kidding.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I must've missed this, what IS Boomhauer's job?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Joe Jack says he's suffering from priapisms and says he needs a roomier desk and a view of Debbie.

Ha, what episode is this from?

Also I miss your old av, especially in this thread. Christ, I never thought I'd get to the point of not only recognizing usernames and avatars, but previous avatars as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

It's from the episode where hank hired a drug addict whom he couldn't fire because he was disabled so everyone was making up disabilities

It wasn't Joe Jack it was Hector

Haha, oh, I remember that one, totally forgot this line.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I never knew this was a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6P0bw_IPss

Sorry about the quality. The actual intro song animation is on there in better quality.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Who What Now posted:

I want to know more.

What the hell is animation throwdown? I think I need to look more into this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"Rad Thibodeauksises"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

While King of the Hill isn't a wacky, zany show, there was a ton of good visual gags. I was watching the episode where Dale lost the gun club presidency today. He's freaking about over how he thinks Mr. Big is going to kill him. Dale is going to flee town has Bobby and Joeseph move all his things in Hanks truck. Joeseph struggles valiantly to move the couch by an end all by himself and Bobby instead runs out holding a couple cushions. Very great understated joke.

Less understated, but when Dale finally gives in and wears a dress JUST AS Bill and Hank take theirs off, and then scrambles to get away so they won't know he finally softened up is one of my favourites. Great because he gives Bill poo poo the entire episode about dressing up like Lenore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

You can call me Ray Jay...

Hahahahah, because you doesn't has to call him Johnson.

You just doesn't.

I had almost the exact same experience as Bobby did, with my dad. Just absolutely bewildered at the whole thing, but I eventually just realized it's the same reason why I found Beavis and Butthead funny, and he didn't. Except sort of inverted.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

King Possum III posted:

I'd nominate the episode where she masquerades as a nun, but turns herself in after dreaming about sending little kids to hell.

You could say she owns herself in this one.

I don't think I ever saw this episode.

Also, interesting, since Kathy Najimy was in Sister Act, a movie about someone masquerading as a nun.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 30, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Let's get to the question everyone is wondering about : what does Peggy smell like?

Old wicker and febreze.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dooley is a Butthead standin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAMs1ubC9ak

"Hehehe... you're moved."

EDIT: Oh drat, that didn't have the original scene where he started crying, and Butthead said that. Ah well. I'm sure we've all seen it.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DAnWZvireI

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

DurhamrockerZ is definitely the KOTH YTP master, excellent choice.

Also when does Lucky show up? I dropped out of the show around season 6 and for the longest time I'm really wanting to get back into it. My dad stupidly bought the NTSC version of season 6 which, well, doesn't work in Europe so me and my mom have resolved one day to get the entire series and watch every episode.

At least just as a life goal.

I don't know, but I love that KotH is a family thing at your place; my mom liked it when I did impressions of the guys when I was little, but my dad couldn't give less of a care about the show, despite having genuinely laughed at parts that he happened to catch. :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Peggy: "Now here's a good way to save money. 'Instead of throwing away old calendars, save them, and reuse them in 7 to 14 years.'"
Hank: "Huh..."

I love this show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Hank made Peggy orgasm in that episode

OK, I must've missed this one the first time through. What the hell?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"Talkin' bout... dang ol'... 'I think therefore you ARE', man."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

King Possum III posted:

Hank's a Republican, so his idea of a transgender person would be a hairy, muscular dude in a dress, carrying a purse.

"Why do you keep calling me BILL?"

If they do a King of the Hill follow-up (I guess it wouldn't be a reboot), Luanne would have to have moved to Europe or something, I doubt they'd actually have such a heavy cloud like the character's death hang around the plot and setting, despite no more Brittany Murphy.

Also, Bobby better be a really awkward teenager, I tell ya what.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hank: "I usually use my work bench, but you'll do in a pinch. Now, hold this board."
Bobby: "Ok. If you want me to hold it tight, say 'T'. If you want me to hold it REAL tight, say 'RT'. That'll be our system!"
Hank: *long sigh*

This is exactly the kind of poo poo I would have pulled with my dad. Totally innocent, thinking I was somehow making a system out of stuff that clearly didn't need that sort of thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, guys, let's give it a push; and this time no faking it, Dale!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Draw the house floor plan

This is a good one.

EDIT: I just wanna say that the part where Hank and Khan (nice anagram there :eyepop:) bond in the caves is very :unsmith:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 10, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Bobby blew his brains out in the late 80s when people stopped buying his records

"Oh, you can call me Bob, or you can call me Rob...."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really hate Joseph's second (?) voice. The one that sounds like he's talking through his teeth. I'd rather listen to that Clarke's "Haaaay Baaaahbaaaayyyy....."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Where are Bill and Boomhauer in the first screenshot?

This reminds me of a really bad continuity error in an early episode of the first TMNT cartoon. Shredder tells his minions to go get the turtles, cut to a shot of the turtles getting ready to fight, and then cut back to Shredder, and he's no longer wearing pants.

Disappearing/re-appearing Bill and Boomhauer seems like a lesser error.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

haljordan posted:

"Do you and your brother have time to grab a beer?"

"And before everything went horribly wrong..."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Testikles posted:

Hank would get suckered on every second deal. Hank's Persian Flaw is he can't get out of his own head. He operates on the principle that everybody is as straight and narrow as his urethra.

As perfectly exemplified by the 'Do you and your brother want to get a beer?' situation.

Never change, Hank.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

Playin' in the gahden

I always loved Bill's sort of ashamed sounding answer to that question.

"Uh... Playin'."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

guillaume fontaine de la tour d'haute rive

Wow I never thought of translating that.

William Fountain of high bank tower.

Weird.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Papa Emeritus III posted:

Well, had I not made those mistakes, I never would have been exposed to the truth of Hank Hill rear end Syndrome. It was destiny.

I feel like this should be a deep Boomhauer quote.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Would this be in his "talking normal" voice or that rambling one?

In this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHjnuWkYT68

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, Itellyouwhut, dangol'mistakeofdestinyman, hankhillasssyndrome...

"S'like 'I think there for YOU ARE', mang."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guillaume Fontaine de la Tour d'Hautism