Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

OK! Time out, Sitting Jackass! Have you looked in the mirror lately? You are the got-dang whitest person I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There is a visual gag in "Take Me Out of the Ball Game" that I didn't notice until a rewatch. After the softball game where Hank's micro-managing causes Peggy to lose control of her pitching, there is an exterior shot of the house and Hank's truck windshield is shattered.

That episode also had softball practice where Dale runs from Mr. Strickland to reach second base, at which point Buck keels over from chest pains. All of the players rush to his aid except for Dale, who evaluates the situation and takes off for third base.

I dunno why people are confused about the Hills being able to afford a modest house with a mortgage on an eighth of an acre in a Dallas suburb. Hank works full time and Peggy subs, and they have one child and two vehicles. I imagine that would be workable even in 2017.

Some rough math.

Hank probably makes anywhere from $40,000 - $70,000 a year. It was really hard to pin down what an assistant manager would make because there isn'ta lot of info, but one article estimated Hank makes about $43,000 which seems a little low. I got a range of anywhere from maybe $20,000 to $100,000 for a full manager, depending on what exactly they're managing. It's a small store, independently run, and Buck is doing very well for himself clearly, so Buck is likely the one earning the 100K. Buck would not pay Hank that much, and because he keeps Hank as an assistant manager, he probably has the ability to pay him a lot less. My unscientific wager is that he probably makes something closer to $50,000. He is likely not near the high-end because he worries about budgeting but he is not strapped for cash and has money for things like his lawn, his truck, house renovations, etc. and raising Bobby.

Peggy contributes very little to the household finances. She'd get paid $90.00 a day in Texas as a certified substitute teacher. If she is a busy substitute teacher (which she probably isn't because her main territory is Arlen), she might work 60% of the school year, and bring home maybe a total of $8,000 to $9,000. If she really does manage to get a lot of work and we're really generous and say she's subbing 80% of the year, she's only pulling in $13,000 at best.

The Hill household probably has a combined income of anywhere from $48,000 to $83,000. I'd say it's likely something like (rounding up) $60,000 a year. Arlen likely has a low cost of living so it goes even further, combined with Hank's frugality. They aren't rich (though when you consider many parts of America they're rather wealthy), but they are very comfortable. It also demonstrates why Hank losing his job to Mega-Lo Mart was so disastrous. They'd go from a household income of $60,000 to something closer to $23,000 if Hank worked full-time hours (estimated 2080 hours a year with $7.25 minimum wage).

*All numbers based on 2017 numbers.

Testikles fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 16, 2017

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

King Possum III posted:

"Pump jockey! Works for tips!"

Good God, you've got a fat neck Hank!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

I think the other big thing people forget is that Hank is the type of dude to have one credit card he uses for "special occasions"; i.e., buying a brand new bone for Ladybird. I doubt that guy carries any kind of revolving debt.

He has one credit card he carries for emergencies and the only other one he might have he used to get a discount on a dryer.

Breaking down their finances. Hank and Peggy probably put the generally accepted 10% into a 401K. So that leaves them with $54,000. I vaguely recall reading in this thread Hank might have already paid off most of the house, but assuming he has a regular mortgage, and Hank being Hank, he probably has a stupidly short one to get things over with and pay it all off as fast as possible. Let's assume a 15 year mortgage (why not), and he has another roughly $15,000 a year to pay off a likely $180,000 house (about the median value). Keeping the math simple that leaves him with $39,000. He also has to pay property tax (there is no income tax in Texas) which is 1.94% but to make the math easier let's make it a flat $4,000. The Hills have $35,000 or just under $3,000 a month for all three of them for groceries, bills, truck payments and so on. That's still pretty good considering.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Cosmik Slop posted:

Probably my favorite line. It comes out of absolutely nowhere, and Cotton sounds loving outraged when he says it.

Just one more reason Hank is a failure to Cotton.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

King Possum III posted:

He probably pays quite a bit for homeowner's insurance, and he'd definitely want good policies on his truck and Peggy's car.

He'd have medical coverage on himself, Peggy, and Bobby too. Buck Strickland would probably skimp as much as possible on insurance for his employees, so Hank's premiums would be rather high, and deducted from his paycheck.

That makes sense and fits in with why Hank can be actually worried about money and when he sits Bobby down to discuss finances, Bobby is shocked at how much is actually leftover for fun things.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

CoffeeBooze posted:

Its worth noting that Arlen is based on the Dallas suburb of Garland, TX. Right now homes in Garland are going for 180K, but the real estate market here is currently absolutely insane. In a more sane market most homes in the area are going to be in the $150k range. I wish I could find better salary data, but pay for a high school graduate in a non skilled trade, even if they are low level management, is not going to be anywhere near $54k. $35k is far more likely in this area.

As others have mentioned there's the matter of when the Hill's purchased their home, but also looking at how Arlen looks in episodes, it might be based on a suburb but it's not meant to be a Dallas suburb. It appears to be a town separated from any major city. Characters have to travel out of their way to go to major cities and in Nancy Does Dallas, she moves out of the Gribble household to work in Dallas. It's kind of everywhere and nowhere in Texas but it has a very detached feel and doesn't seem to be part of any larger conurbation. It's possible Arlen might not have experienced a housing boom (it did experience hipsters in that one episode but even Des Moines has hipsters).

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I'd say Arlen sits somewhere between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio but really the place is like Springfield in that it kind of floats about and its features change depending upon the episode.

That being said...

THE GATSBY COLLECTION

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Houle posted:

It's pretty cool how when Nancy is worried about her age and Luanne gives her some cream to cover up the wrinkles. The brand? Leche de Sol, the illegal cream Luanne got from the Mexico episode.

Speaking of that episode... Bobby using a gigantic firework to "prank" a store by blowing up a statue is basically a terrorist attack. Something that large could definitely kill someone.

Bobby even seems to know it was wrong "trying to blow up one of their monuments."

Could Bobby be a member of ISIS? :tinfoil:

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This really shows that the writing here was fantastic. See, I love Hank's response here, it's perfect, yet this show was quickly overshadowed by dumb poo poo like Family Guy, and that's a shame. Subtlety trumps deliberate humour.

"Hey Lois, 'member that time I fahted?"

King of the Hill had a pretty good run and stood up against a few heavy contenders. When KOTH started The Simpsons was a juggernaut already in its 8th season and still hadn't run out of gas yet. It arguably wouldn't for another couple seasons more. South Park was released the same year as KOTH while definitely airing at a different time and attracting a more mature (older) audience, it could undercut the more subdued and subtle humour KOTH was going for. In 1999 it would be popular enough for a feature length film. Then there was Futurama that same year, which had the sensibilities of the Simpsons in a fantastic Sci-Fi universe. Also debuting was Family Guy, which for all its faults, had a very different kind of pace and humour and honestly in the first couple of seasons was actually funny. It of course got cancelled twice (2000 and 2002) and then returned in 2005. KOTH managed to last until 2010, so it didn't get overshadowed by dumber or louder shows. It was a solid part of the FOX line up for a long time, but it eventually ran its course. We should be thankful that it ended when it did, and instead hasn't become a horrible zombie version of itself like The Simpsons, or a heartless freakshow like Family Guy.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Hank's vegetarian speech and the slow zoom on his face is inspired.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Found it

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

The episode where everyone takes up cigarettes is like a brilliant short film. It would be right at home in a Spike & Mike compilation.

(From a different episode)
"Oh, but I thought you quit smoking, Hank! Because cigarettes cause deeeath... They do you know, so go easy on 'em."

"Well you should all add an extra step: off your high horse!"

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

haljordan posted:

Ah, that's right. He only fed Fatty to the sharks. I am greatly ashamed at my erroneous post.

You weren't too far off. He saved a piece of Fatty to beat the Japanese to death.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
In the episode where Peggy becomes Paddlin' Peggy, I never noticed that at the end of the episode she wears the same slacks she got pants'd in, but this time she's added a belt. Also Christ Bobby is an unsympathetic rear end. Your mom just spanked a kid sure, but you know Dooley is a poo poo head, have a little bit of a heart, and don't kick her when she's down.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
It's been said before but it never gets old:

I'm on a gravy train with biscuit wheels!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Well I'll be dipped

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I can't believe I forgot this exchange:

Dale: It's your quote-unquote 'pollution controls.' I heard on talk radio you don't even need them. They're just an egghead government plot.
Hank: How is cutting down on pollution a government plot, Dale?
Dale: Open up your eyes, man! They're trying to control global warming. Get it? Glo-bal.
Hank: So-what?
Dale: That's code for UN commissars telling Americans what temperature it's going to be in our outdoors. I say let the world warm up. See what Boutros-Boutros Golly-Golly thinks about that. We'll grow oranges in Alaska.
Hank: Dale, you giblet head! We live in Texas. It's already 110 in the summer and if it gets one degree hotter I'm gonna kick your rear end!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
If we're talking future King of the Hill here, technically they'd only have to age them about ten years. Bobby would still be living at home and would likely be trying to become a famous youtuber with Joseph.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Hank would get suckered on every second deal. Hank's Persian Flaw is he can't get out of his own head. He operates on the principle that everybody is as straight and narrow as his urethra.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Gotta admit, my answer to people when they ask me how long I have been somewhere is a world weary: thirty five years

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
William Spring from the High River Pass's Tower

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Boomhauer is Dutch for woodcutter.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Nooner posted:

Huh id have figured pipelayer

That's just a hobby

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
He's right though. There was a palpable shift from Hank being the butt of the joke to being the only sane man on earth. Mike Judge skews more right wing and did a promo in Hank's voice for InfoWars

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Dale would be the more obvious Alex Jones listener, though he's actually more of a rense.com guy

If he did that it would be saying only paranoid idiots listen to Alex Jones, not sensible Americans

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I want a gif of the travel map from the Propaniacs episode

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Testikles posted:

I want a gif of the travel map from the Propaniacs episode

Propane Maniacs

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Thoughts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Nooner posted:

i like when hank grills the hamburgers (:

True fan right here

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
THATHERTON

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I wanna get Boomhauer's car

The one in the quarry?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah I know him. He's Benedict Arlen

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Taking a kickboxing class and I am tempted to start Peggy Hill HO YEAHing when I kick

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

with apu gone the way of the dodo i wonder if the eventual koth reboot will include kahn

Khan will probably stay because he was introduced to dunk on how ignorant Arlen was about Asia and Laos. He's stereotypical but isn't a stereotype.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
A brand new, pre-owned, Sonata

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

all koth episodes are good, some are just less good than others.

personally the one where bobby joins the college meat judging team was the worst tho

The worst episode is The Boy Can't Help It in the last season. Bobby turns into a doormat for three girls and the episode ends with Bobby putting them in their place as Hank looks on appprovingly. It's a redpiller fantasy.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
:stare:

The voices

https://youtu.be/_Xy0w3DNwVs

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

addendum: i never thought about it before, but the climax of this ep is an american flag getting burned, and instead of showing it, they just show peggy frowning while bobby describes what is happening to it offscreen. loving cowards.

And then there was the simpsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Another Bill posted:

Counterpoint:

Then he ended up fist fighting him in a sewer.