Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sometimes it's the interstitial lines that are the funniest.

"The guy asked me if I wanted honey mustard and I almost took a swing at him; long story short I got a good deal on classic yellow."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The funniest Peggy joke for me is when she's multilingual phone support for the Alamo Beer company and she reports that a native Mexican's Spanish was "wasn't very good".

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm watching season 13 now and it *feels* worse to watch in a way I have trouble describing. It animation is eerily high quality, the plotlines edge towards more fantastical, and the jokes start to rely on self reference instead of standing on being good comedy. Some solid lines still pop out here and there though so it isn't terrible.

"You know what would make me happy? A meal at the Arlen Barn with my family strategically placed around me."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Strickland Propene does not have a vending machine. It smells, and I thank god every day I get home that I didn't get exploded. The end.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You know, David thanking god every day he didn't get exploded kinda makes sense considering the local Mega-Lo Mart blew up in a propane explosion, killing at least one person and traumatizing several survivors (briefly).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Flyin Hawaiian is voiced by Brenden Frasier but hell if I could tell. Surprised me when I looked it up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I watched today the episode where Arlen's softball rec league has a match with a charity show team and they tryhard the match ruining it for everyone. I have such mixed feelings about the episode. It's so good because Hank and the team are complete villains whose dumb plan to win against the Ace is foiled by the fact the Ace is/was a professional player who schools them. But then when they go to eat crow it turns out the Ace is a gigantic rear end in a top hat so they get away scot free.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You want me to *shoot* your emus?

I ain't got no choice! Bottom fell out of the emu market and I'm stuck on the rear end of the pyramid.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the ray roy thing?
My name's Jody but you can call me whatever you want. The important part of my name is Strickland.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Church Hopping is one of my favorite episodes but its premise is one of the flimsiest. The Hills explore other churches because a new family keeps taking their seats. But 1. They were late in the first place and their seats look pretty juicy and 2. Maybe just go to church a little earlier to beat the new family there?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Why would you schedule carpet cleaning on Sunday morning? What do you think we're doing here?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The ZZ Top episode is absurd and dumb but I kinda love it. The kind of comedy that hits to my very core is stuff like the absurdist low stakes pranks Dusty pulls on Hank.

"Don't you remember our wedding? He and his buddies got up on stage with the band? 'Just one song, Hank!'"

"Which is all he played. One song."

"Yeah, Radar Love with a gotdang 20 minute bass solo."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One of the top 5 funniest lines comes out of the Co-op episode (which I think is great in general), when Hank has Appleseed buy meat for him and he comes back with some other sundries like hemp toilet paper. Hank's delivery of "Are you trying to frame me?" is incredible.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The only con of the Orange County Chopper episode is that the titular cameo is wooden and lifeless. The "I heard there was a fourth Teutul..." story is golden.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

pixaal posted:

Is this the one where Peggy is smuggling cocaine to a death row inmate? With boggle sand of course.
The death row episode doesn't actually have a b-plot, unless you count the scene where Dale contracts with the prison for a dollar in order to get his name on the executioner's list. Peggy's journey into ignoring every red flag of the situation takes up the whole stage.

"Wesley Martin Archer..."

"That's a good name for a killer! What was he like mom? Did he speak with a real proper English accent like an evil genius?"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One of the more amusing things about the various plots is sometimes Khan joins into them for no discernable reason. Like he wants in on the last meal shenanigans, despite having an active loathing of his neighbors. Or in the episode where Bobby is manipulated by 3 older girls, Khan joins Hank in rescuing Bobby from under the bleachers for absolutely no reason.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Khan only has one friend slot and he's reserving it for Ted Wassanasong.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Prof. Banks posted:

That 70s show is very hard to watch now that I'm not 14.

It's also mildly terrifying to think that the number of years from the start of that show to now is longer than the start to the setting of the show. :psyduck:

This introspection is dangerous. It's like thinking about 20 year old games which are not FF4 or Super Mario World, but Kingdom Hearts.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

He's mentioned along with Luanne's other boyfriends in the episode where she symbolically regains her virginity.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There will absolutely be an episode where Dale connects with other lunatics via social media.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In a surprise bid, Buck runs for president of the Propane Gas Association. Hank thinks he’s dead in the water because of his reputation as a sleaze but Buck’s offensive and disrespectful manner strangely connect with voters. Hank questions the future of propane with Buck’s outrageous platform at the helm.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I really like the first couple seasons because the animation is dated but in a really charming, nostalgic way. Really enjoying the episode where Bobby is erroneously diagnosed with adhd and the medication he takes for it heightens his attention to prescience.

*sniffing* "There's some milk in the fridge that's about to go bad...and there it goes."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I always enjoyed the multiple appearances of the best hippie, Appleseed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hillenium, the episode devoted to y2k, was is the middle of season 4. Great episode except I would think Hank even when insane would have remembered not to varnish indoors.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

"This isn't one of those clove cigarettes, is it?"

"Nah man, it's the chronic, from Mexico."

"Huh, drat NAFTA. It's clearly an inferior tobacco."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Speaking of cruelty I watched the episode where Hank learns he was born in New York. Cotton sets him up as the fall guy in their plot to murder Fidel Castro and then when Hank figures it out Cotton straight up tries to kill him. Goddamn.

The episode has a good ending though. Peggy tries to use her dumb logic to weasel Hank back into being a native Texas but Hank's like good try but nah.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You're Laotian? You know a guy named Kahn?

*Irawati shoots Hank an irritated glare*

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That’s my eye-talian scattergun! That gun, that saddle, and one measly box of cash was all I could hide from my wife and her lawyer, Jewel Crawford.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My name's Jimmy. I work at the Car Race, where the cars race.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nancy: Honey, you want a beer?

Dale and John Redcorn: Yes!

Dale, suspiciously: How did he know I wanted a beer…?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Vaysosa has already taken us for $8000. If I lose this [additional $1000] I'll have to be buried at sea...

You have my word they will put you in the ground. AND THAT GOES FOR ALL OF YOU!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hank trying to eat a meatloaf sandwich in peace isn't even the A plot of that episode. It's the goofy plot about Peggy and Bobby trend chasing with the 'cool' mom.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hank as early 30s is ridiculous because I'M early 30s and I'm simply incomparable to Hank. He emits extreme 40s dad energy.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

stealie72 posted:

So, uhh, how many of you have gotten to the point in your lives when Hank Hill went from object of ridicule to ersatz role model. . .

Even as a kid I was a straight arrow and Hank's stodgy adherence to the rules was admirable. Now I wish I was as put together a person as he is. The look of sheer shock on his face during the insurance lapse episode when he realizes he missed a payment encapsulates his entire character.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm a fan of the flooding episode which starts with Bill laying in bed in his army dress ready for death, and ends with him high on his own fumes as the de facto leader of the shelter.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I always get a good kick out of watching Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story which prominently features Stephen Root being very Bill.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hank: "We've seen him like this before, and it ended with me spending Christmas pulling his head out of the oven. We're gonna help him and we're going to start by putting an end to all the insults."

Dale: "But Hank, he's a-"

Hank: "He knows he's bald, he knows he's got a gut, and he knows his wife ran around on him. He doesn't need you reminding him."

Bill, just offscreen: *whimper*

Hank: "Uh, I kinda thought you'd gone home there, Bill."

In the next scene Stroup makes a pass at him and he ignores her for the choir, lmao.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s a shop. The plate appropriately says “MSSALLY”.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can’t think of a greater list of consecutive episodes than Revenge of the Lutefisk/Life Death and Texas/ Wings of the Dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I really dig the episode where Bobby joins the alternative Christian youth group. It's hilarious how much that group's antics rile Hank up.

"Hey, I think that one's smoking! (sigh) No, he's praying."