Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

What episode is this?

Dale to the Chief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently the episode where he ends up in an asylum has the doctor suggest he keeps taking his medication, and I get the feeling Dale understands on some level he's genuinely got mental issues.

I like the part at the end when he snaps the pill in half and seems to be angry, but immediately perks up and follows it with "Easier to swallow!" I dunno why, that's just always been one of my favorite gags.

Of course, nothing can top "Did you just say 'Go mom?' Now who's crazy."

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

bobby thinks all his hours of labor slinging sodas at the track only resulted in the purchasing power for a couple pairs of short pants, and has no qualms with that part. always cracks me up

Well, they were pretty nice short pants. Had to be a hundred dollars at least.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's possible it happened earlier but I don't think it was the pilot and it was definitely said in the second part of the parachute episode. What's weird is I thought cotton didn't appear until surprisingly late in the first season, bobbys birthday episode but the wiki says he was in the pilot so iunno

He appeared in a flashback. Hank skinned his knee or something and Cotton says to him "I had my shins blown off by a Japan man's machine gun, so don't come crying to me with your problems!" And then again in another flashback in the Order of the Straight Arrow episode. Pretty funny to think that Kahn was actually introduced properly before Cotton.

What makes that even funnier is by this point it was already established that Bobby is an excellent shot. I don't recall it being mentioned outside of the episode centered around it, so it was probably just a random funny line, but I like to think that it was a callback to that and Dale was 100% serious in thinking Bobby would put him down clean.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

The episode with the raccoon shows that Bobby is in fact an excellent shot.

That's right, I didn't even think about that.

And since that episode came out after "Dog Dale Afternoon," and within the same year, I'm taking it as confirmation. Dale was serious.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heh, if that came out before then Dale would also know that Bobby's capable of doing an Ol Yeller if necessary.

Indeed, it's just until realizing how close together "To Kill a Ladybird" and "Dog Dale Afternoon" are, I didn't think it was an intentional callback and chalked it up to being a random joke and Bobby's excellence at shooting as being one of those things from the early years that the writers just forgot about. I dunno why I thought that, during these years the writers were pretty consistent about that stuff for the most part, barring stuff like Luanne being proficient when it comes to car repair.

Which weirdly got a half hearted reference in the final season at least one time in one of the few jokes from those episodes I remember. She's doing some work on a car Bill owns and says "I'd say give it to charity, but charity people have enough problems."

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Kalli posted:

Do you think Ward Radley ended up living with his mother until she died?

Most certainly. The real question is if he lived with her for a few weeks after.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really don’t care for the resolution of that episode. Don’t do something you like and excel at because people will ridicule you? Hank being ultimately proven right that put a bad taste in my mouth. The episode where Bobby goes to clown college has a similar resolution but it’s handled far better.

The same thing happens in the episode where Bobby works with the guy who picks up animal "product" for job shadow week. He gets an idea to start his own business in that same vein, and Hank has the other dude lie to Bobby about being beaten up for his job to scare him out of doing it. The part where Peggy acts so disgusted and Hank is telling Bobby "It's not just about money, but respect" in particular has always irritated me.

I mean it's in character for both, no problems there. Just the whole thing irked me, more than any of the other "Bobby does something not that terrible but has to stop because Hank disapproves."

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
It's like someone wished for a new season of King of the Hill, but the cost is that we're gonna have to have one of the best parts of it replaced. DARN YOU SHABUUUUUU!

RIP Johnny Hardwick. Ashes to ashes, pocket sand to pocket sand :(

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

"Merry Christmas gentlemen! What's with the black suit Hank, someone die? Oh... someone did die... Your mom's best friend, if I recall. Well, this is awkward. Merry Christmas?"

That has got to be one of my favorite cold openings of the show, along with Kahn dancing around in the bathroom when he notices Hank looking at him from his kitchen.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 13, 2023

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
When Joseph was a baby, who changed his diapers? You, or some alien?
I did.
Who took him to his first day of kindergarten?
I did.
Who taught him how to tie his shoes?
John Redcorn.
Well, okay... But who taught him how to ride a bike?
John Redcorn. He taught Joseph and then Joseph taught me.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Recent line that stuck out to me (paraphrasing) “thanks to title 9, dick nixons worst mistake”

"Yeah, well, Roe vs. Wade doesn't apply to my wrestling team."

"Mrs. Hill, isn't Roe vs. Wade..."
"Yeah yeah, but you have to pick your battles."

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

stealie72 posted:

What does your shirt say, hank?

"Bobby loves God, you worship the devil. Dinners must be tense."

Y'know, I bet they actually are. He did make Bobby eat liver once, after all.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

I seem to remember Bobby loving liver sandwiches and giving himself gout

You got Turf Toe Bobby!

Is there liver in chopped chicken liver? Cause that's on a Louie Anderson.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

The Bible posted:

BOBBY! GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!!!

Okay.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Love early, seemingly detached bobby

One of the absolute best moments of this comes from that episode where Peggy is visiting that death row inmate.

"Uh, mom. You're covering up my essay. It got a shows improvement!"
"Sorry Bobby, but it looks like we're gonna have to MURDER SOMEBODY if we want your mother's attention."
"Okay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

And Cotton’s total bewilderment at Jimmy Carter being there.

Don't forget Bobby thinking he's Jesus, due to having the initials JC, being a carpenter and riding in a limo.

Heh... Man wore a sweater.