Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Bill is great because he is far, and away the most naturally gifted of the entire group. He is an elite level athlete who can get back in shape quick when he has the drive. He can speak french. Hes an amazing chef. He has a great singing voice, and has proven he has the skill to be first chair in a trendy upscale hair salon. Yet he still manages to be one of the sadist most pathetic characters in television history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR6ORdrN6S4

This whole video is pure Gribble gold.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

I AM THE REAPER! THE COLLECTOR OF SOOOUUULLLLLSSSSS!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlxCKyK0llU

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Kinda sad they never had Hal come back for a few episodes. Hank and Hal were just to practical to continue their bromance.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the later seasons ruined his character

in the episode where Hank's old truck dies and he buys a new one at pickup truck heaven, he tells Bobby to pretend he hates the new truck around the salesman. he's not naive

That isn't out of character at all. Hank found out he'd been getting ripped off for years, and learned from it. If anything it would have made Hank super suspicious of all car dealers to the point of turning down actual good deals.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Ein cooler Typ posted:

but the pickup truck heaven episode is before the one where he's been paying sticker price

I'm, going to be that guy, and say the whole series is out of sequence, and based over the coarse of two years. Its up to you the viewer to decided what order the episodes take place in.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

John Yossarian posted:

I never watched the last couple seasons, but did Dale ever find out that Joseph wasn't his biological son?

He always knew, and he let it go. He loved Joseph and Nancy too much to make it an issue. Also what better way for Dale to sick it to Redcorn than to raise Joseph right in his face?

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Yeah, but he was carried there on the back of the BILLDOZER

Truth. I love the flashbacks of Bill as a stone cold studd with a lions mane on his head.

Hank's 40 time was pretty bad. He ran a 5.9 as a running back. To give perspective that is slower than everyone in the NFL combine including 300+ lb linemen most of whom smoke Hanks time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSXgHP7K6aE

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hank played high school football back in the 70s

A 5.9 40 would be a lovely time for a college level running back in the 1940s. Most running backs in the 70s were putting up average 4.5 40 times. Elite guys like Earl Campbell, and OJ wee running sub 4.5. What I'm saying is Hank wouldn't have been playing college football even if he hadn't hurt his ankle celebrating in the championship.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

The world is cruel to shiny things.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Lucky breaking down the scoring system of roller derby will never not be funny.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Wicker Man posted:

"Nancy gave me this vest. Do you want it?! TAKE IT, TAKE EVERYTHING"

(Hank runs out)

":negative:"

Redcorn crying over Joseph, and Hank just bailing out of the jeep and running in horror when John goes in for a hug is both sad, and hilarious. So much character development from just that one scene.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

The saddest part about John is that he could literally bang every other woman in Texas if he wasn't so caught up on Nancy. John Redcorn is just another version of Bill. Though he may be more emotionally tortured, because of Joseph.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Along the saame lines of "I din't drown that boy!" I love the time Buck Strickland hears some kid say daddy and instinctively shouts "I AIN"T YA DADDY!"

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Anytime Life in a northern town plays I look for Buckley's angle.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

...and the pitch! posted:

Frito pie sucks

How do you feel about Brown Betty?

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Bobby without a doubt owns a restaurant. Think about his meat knowledge and his cooking ability and secret recipes he knows and his indoctrinated reverence for barbecue. If you want, he can have a food truck in Austin and occasionally perform at an open mic night.

This is the proper answer. Though I wouldn't make Bobby the owner. He is the head chef of a moderately successful restaurant. He makes a decent living and enjoys his work, but still dreams of making it in show business with his own food network series. A running theme could be Bobby forcing people to watch his lousy adulation tapes

Joseph was a star athlete who was the starting free safety for A&M, but blew out his ACL junior year, and dropped out. Now he works for the city, and slays mad pussy despite being dumber than a box of rocks.

Kahn Jr. has long since moved away went to UCLA, and is now a successful heart surgeon in Denver. She pops in every once in a while with her new family to visit her parents.

Hank now owns Strickland propane. Buck dies of a massive heart attack, and Hank buys it from Bucks son who is tight up for money due to gambling debts. Peggy is still a substitute teacher waiting for her shot at "the big time." still as arrogant and full of herself as ever.

Dale, Bill, and Boomhauer are pretty much the same just with a few more years on them.

Luanne is reviled to have been killed in a car wreck, and Lucky is now a financially struggling yet surprisingly competent father to their now teenage daughter.

Smiling Mandrill fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 10, 2017

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Nooner posted:

HEY STOP LOOKIN AT MY GUYS!!! :saddowns:

Stay angry Jimmy.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Punkin Spunkin posted:

remember the time hank was sexually molested by a police officer

Oh say can you see...sob

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Top Hats Monthly posted:

She died of pneumonia, then her husband died of pneumonia the next year. That’s extremely sad.

Her death and her husbands are both fishy as hell.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

"How long have you been standing there."

"Thirty six years."

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Ein cooler Typ posted:

oh and Hank murdered Debbie too

she threatened to tell Peggy that they had sexual relations

That doesn't count he had marijuana poisoning.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Siljmonster posted:

A Dallas Cowboy also assaulted him and he took the punch like a champ

He also assaulted a Dallas Cowboy after Dandy Don missed his throw.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

I have an uncle form Kentucky who talks just like Joe Jack. I didn't meet him until I was older, and did a double take the first time he called me honey. Then I realized he called everyone honey.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Hill

Put glasses on him and you have Hank. Coincidence?

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Not a Children posted:

Dang ol' Love is an enjoyable episode but really hard to watch

Bill is just so terrible in the first half, and then is SO TERRIBLE when he sees Boomhauer get his comeuppance. The cute pep talk he ends up giving is a nice lil redemption but seems like too little too late

The best part of that episode is when Bill is twisting his ankles in the holes he dug to trap that woman.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

muscles like this! posted:

It is also the one where it makes Hank look like an idiot.

That and it was already established that Hank knew how to barter for a vehicle in the on where he bought his new truck. Bobby says something like dad I love this truck, and Hank says me too, but act like you don't when we get back to the dealership.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

The best thing about King of the Hill is that you can always go back and catch great lines you somehow missed the first few times. Like how did I miss this one until today?

Bobby: Did you ever ride a block of ice?

Buck: Hell, I married Ms. Lizz didn't I?

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Does anyone buy into the theory that Dale knew all along Redcorn was Josephs father? If you watch the show that way it does kinda add a new darker edge to Dale.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

Dale is sweet and pure

Yeah. I think Dale's naive nature extends way too far into every aspect of his life to just be an act to stick it to John Redcorn.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Someone needs to start a Dale Gribble self defense course.

POCKET SAND!

SQUIRREL TACTIC!

TURBINE!

SHAA SHHAA!!

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

hawowanlawow posted:

the Bobby grilling episode is really, really fuckin bad

What makes it so bad? One of the main plot points of the entire series is that Hank and Bobby have nothing to bond over. I thought the show was one of the better send offs for a sitcom. I also like the way they pan back, and the viewer floats away into the sky the same way the viewer comes from the sky and pans down in the first episode.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

Bobby learning to like grilling in the hill house as a revelation is dumb.

The solution to the Bobby hank divide being bobby turns into hank is dumb. Ugh

Learn 1 lesson hank

The episode wasn't about bobby learning to grill, it was about Bobby discovering he had a natural talent for inspecting beef. Which made sense given the amount of steak the Hill's consume throughout the series. Also Bobby didn't turn into Hank, they just discovered a mutual interest they could finally bond over.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

I"M NOT YOUR DADDY!

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Welp, the KOH thread has now reached peek internet. KOH-TNG crossover thread energize. Funny thing is Hank would hate this...

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

They should've made Cottons arms longer so he looked like a gorilla. He was supposed to be about 6'4 before a Japan man blew his shins off with a machine gun.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

muscles like this! posted:

How does the Quebecois version deal with the Canadian episode?

Or the fact that Mexico is like half a days drive away in some episodes.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Buck's actions did have consequences. Its just that Buck is such a colossal piece of poo poo that shrugged of things that would destroy a man with a sense of morality.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

JfishPirate posted:

This made me wonder: Has anyone watched The Goode Family recently? If people don't remember what that is, it was King of the Hill, but with "liberal" characters. It was made by Mike Judge, but only has a single season, and I remember it being pretty bad. The whole series is on YouTube if someone actually wants to watch it, though I tried one episode and gave up about 5 minutes in.

I thought the Goode Family was OK, but it had nowhere to go story wise. The characters were too one denominational to stretch into a long running series. They would've worked better as the crazy neighbors next door rather than the stars of the their own series. To make the serise last longer they needed to get rid of any redeeming qualities Mr. Goode had, and made him a shallow disconnected ultra rich "Hollywood liberal" who was just going through the motions to get good media buzz. Basically he should have been a reflection of all the clueless celebrities who were "helping" us common people during this pandemic by singing Imagine with no sense of irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

An all Texas Super Bowl...his will be done.