Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here we ask questions about history, and answer those questions, and debate the answers, and even debate the questions.

Only two rules:

1. Do not debate the morality of dropping the atom bomb on Japan.
2. Do not get into the minutiae of your favorite alt-historical fantasy.

Let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My questions:

1. Can anyone give me a rundown of recent Canadian history? I know about Trudeau, the conscription thing in WWI, and all the back and forth with Quebec, but are there any other big things I'm missing?

2. Can anyone tell me about the history of the Indian subcontinent between Alexander and the Muslim invasions?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

1. Can anyone give me a rundown of recent Canadian history? I know about Trudeau, the conscription thing in WWI, and all the back and forth with Quebec, but are there any other big things I'm missing?

everything was great and fine and everyoen was happy and prosperous till some loving worst canadian cuckservatives decided they wanted to steal more from the taxpayers than they already were and get hella more kickbacks so they found a dupe named justin trudeao and installed him as president and now the cucks in the background are stripping the country dry and sending it to overseas accounts (this is actually totally happening) and in a few years time we will once again kick them out for being corrupt motherfuckers and install a new set of corrupt motherfuckers

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

My questions:

They totally ruined the First Nations to the point they're all killing themselves but a large and unsympathetic element of Canada still thinks they get too much "free" stuff

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Why are the people most oppressed by despotic governments the most likely to support the principles behind despotic governance?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Why are the people most oppressed by despotic governments the most likely to support the principles behind despotic governance?

Because nobody really thinks it's going to happen to them till it does.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Shbobdb posted:

The worse things get the more attractive strong leaders are. Canny demagogues obfuscate their own role in systems of oppression and tell the people they're on their side, all their problems are because of those other people.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

When should we say the industrial revolution started?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lawman 0 posted:

Which one, and for which country? Broadly speaking, in a Hist 101 sense, we usually say that the 1st Industrial Revolution kicked off in late 18th century Britain with precursor moves like enclosure and mercantilist economic developments preparing the way for the first forms of industrial manufacture of cloth, but if you want to break it down by country it gets a lot more complicated, and even in the more general sense there were subsequent waves, the most commonly-cited one coming in the mid-19th century with dawn-of-the-gilded-age type stuff.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lawman 0 posted:

the mid-1970s with the founding of Industrial Records by Genesis P-Orridge of Throbbing Gristle and Monte Cazazza; on Throbbing Gristle's debut album The Second Annual Report, they coined the slogan "industrial music for industrial people". In general, the style is harsh and challenging. AllMusic defines industrial as the "most abrasive and aggressive fusion of rock and electronic music"; "initially a blend of avant-garde electronics experiments (tape music, musique concrète, white noise, synthesizers, sequencers, etc.) and punk provocation"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Around when did society turn from the enjoyment of bloodsport like Gladiators to shunning it? I assume the rise of modern religions moved it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Around when did society turn from the enjoyment of bloodsport like Gladiators to shunning it?
UFC was very recently sold for over $4 billion and has a viewership in the millions

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKFIHRpe7I

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

OldTennisCourt posted:

Around when did society turn from the enjoyment of bloodsport like Gladiators to shunning it? I assume the rise of modern religions moved it.

These men felt terribly shunned, as they did this terrible act forbidden by Christ.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I was almost certain that was going to happen.

Okay, sports involving literally murdering people in front of spectators

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

These men felt terribly shunned, as they did this terrible act forbidden by Christ.

okay yeah that is gross

i guess i prefer wraslin!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

F1 was recently sold for $8.5bil and has a viewership in the millions

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Never mind.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

OldTennisCourt posted:

The rise of Christianity did place a great deal of moral opprobrium on the games, but more important were practical constraints. The games were publicly funded and as the western empire went into progressive decline there just wasn't nearly as much cash to be wasted on public spectacle as there had been in the glory days.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Terry Pratchett posted:

If it continues long enough, even a reign of terror may become a fondly remembered period. People believe they want justice and wise government but, in fact, what they really want is an assurance that tomorrow will be very much like today

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Christians started whining and protesting against gladiatorial combat, and then an incident occurred around 400 where a protesting monk fell into the ring at the Colosseum and was killed by the gladiators and after that it fell out of favor. The monk became a saint and the Romans focused all their energies on horse racing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Christians started whining and protesting against gladiatorial combat, and then an incident occurred around 400 where a protesting monk fell into the ring at the Colosseum and was killed by the gladiators and after that it fell out of favor. The monk became a saint and the Romans focused all their energies on horse racing.

nascar

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
How did Carter get so dunked by Reagan that one election? Also same but with McGovern vs Nixon

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Retarded Goatee posted:

How did Carter get so dunked by Reagan that one election? Also same but with McGovern vs Nixon

Carter got wrecked by the dual hits of the 70s crash and Iranian Hostage Crisis (which Reagan actively worked to prolong so as to prevent Carter getting any cred for the hostage release). McGovern suffered from an intensely, acrimoniously divided party and his VP choice being outed as having had mental health issues in the past, while Nixon added to by basically painting him as a pinko idiot who couldn't govern his way out of a wet paper bag.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
How did the USSR actually catch up to the US nuclear program so quickly? If espionage, are any details actually known from reliable source about what was stolen and how? Were the majority of scientists on both sides actually taken from occupied germany and Hitler's (not actually very long lived) nuclear program? Were both sides working off the same, reasonably well understood theoretical basis? (I.e. were the advances necessary in the development of the bomb primarily engineering problems, or was there a race on both sides to solve some outstanding theoretical problems first?)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr. Wynand posted:

How did the USSR actually catch up to the US nuclear program so quickly? If espionage, are any details actually known from reliable source about what was stolen and how? Were the majority of scientists on both sides actually taken from occupied germany and Hitler's (not actually very long lived) nuclear program? Were both sides working off the same, reasonably well understood theoretical basis? (I.e. were the advances necessary in the development of the bomb primarily engineering problems, or was there a race on both sides to solve some outstanding theoretical problems first?)

There's a number of angles here that need addressing to answer the question accurately. First, the Soviets had infiltrated the Manhattan Project, in particular via GRU agent George Korval who'd returned to the US in 1940 (he'd been born in the US but emigrated to the USSR during the Depression), joining the army via the draft and working his way into Oak Ridge by 1944 where he had wide access to pretty much everyone via his duties as a radiation control officer. Declassified Russian military records from the period credit him with obtaining the technical data necessary for their 1949 atomic detonation of a plutonium bomb on the Fat Man model.

He was not the only set of eyes Stalin had in Los Alamos and elsewhere. Klaus Fuchs, a German emigre, had been passing British nuclear secrets to the NKVD since 1941, and when he got transferred to the Manhattan Project in 1944 he continued to do so, most notably technical data on how the implosion detonator worked, which likely saved at least two years of design time for the Soviets.

Second, Stalin had his own bomb project under Igor Vasilevich Kurchatov working at full speed since 1942 (Kurchatov was already one of the USSR's leading minds in nuclear physics by that point). It was, shall we say, "overseen" by Lavrenty Beria, the murderous head of the NKVD, which no doubt both increased its resource allotments and contributed to motivating the science team.

There wasn't nearly as much take away for either America or the USSR from the Nazi bomb project to be honest, as it never was afforded all that high a priority by Hitler and, like so much in the Third Reich, various arms of the military/government had competing projects that spent most of their time squabbling over resources and prestige.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

most gladiator fights didn't end in them being killed

edit:whoops

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 31, 2017

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Man if Beria was holding gladiator fights in his science gulags, it truly is impressive the Russians caught up so quickly.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Retarded Goatee posted:

this was the high water mark of stagflation and the appeal of Reagan/Thatcherite libertarianism to the middle class. also carter had a terrible relationship with Congress and was seen as a smug, incompetent elitist liberal for that and for doing things like daring to tell middle class suburbanites they should use less oil. then the iran hostages and revolution sealed his fate

as for nixon, pure lower middle class white resentment politics

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

most gladiator fights didn't end in them being killed

Uhh, I think you miiiight be replying to the wrong question.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Carter lost because everything was poo poo in the 1979, and as president he took (mostly unfairly) the blame. Carter did have some major faults though. His stellar post-presidential career has made people kind of forget about them.

His backing of the Shah long after his sell-by date was really loving stupid and basically set the stage for the hostage crisis that hosed him over. Then he ordered the botched rescue attempt that just poo poo things up even more.

He was also spectacularly bad at working with his own party in Congress.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Retarded Goatee posted:

As mentioned McGovern made a few big mistakes and got stabbed by his own party, but the other side of the coin is that Nixon was probably the most effective campaigner of the last century and also had the fundamentals locked the gently caress down. Economy was good, foreign policy successes and so on and so forth all boosting his incumbent advantage. Basically the Democrats could have raised FDR from the dead and he would most likely still have lost to Nixon in 72.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is there a lot of evidence that suggest that gladiators killed each other constantly?

Because that seems inefficient.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a lot of evidence that suggest that gladiators killed each other constantly?

Because that seems inefficient.

While deaths in the arena were hardly unheard of, neither were they as common as what you see in the movies, at least among the professionals. Gladiators themselves, though usually (but not always!) slaves, were an expensive investment and not one to be thrown away on a whim.

Now, the various criminals and prisoners that got thrown in to serve as victims, on the other hand, those guys basically were there to die in as entertaining a fashion as possible.

Cerebral Bore posted:

As mentioned McGovern made a few big mistakes and got stabbed by his own party, but the other side of the coin is that Nixon was probably the most effective campaigner of the last century and also had the fundamentals locked the gently caress down. Economy was good, foreign policy successes and so on and so forth all boosting his incumbent advantage. Basically the Democrats could have raised FDR from the dead and he would most likely still have lost to Nixon in 72.

Which makes it all the more bizarre that he'd resort to the sort of underhanded poo poo he did. I mean sure, knowing what we know about his weird, paranoid personality it makes a bit of sense, but he wouldn't easily walked away with the election anyway, so why risk it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nixon had the 1960 election stolen from him and he was covering all his bases.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There's a number of angles here that need addressing to answer the question accurately. First, the Soviets had infiltrated the Manhattan Project, in particular via GRU agent George Korval who'd returned to the US in 1940 (he'd been born in the US but emigrated to the USSR during the Depression), joining the army via the draft and working his way into Oak Ridge by 1944 where he had wide access to pretty much everyone via his duties as a radiation control officer. Declassified Russian military records from the period credit him with obtaining the technical data necessary for their 1949 atomic detonation of a plutonium bomb on the Fat Man model.

He was not the only set of eyes Stalin had in Los Alamos and elsewhere. Klaus Fuchs, a German emigre, had been passing British nuclear secrets to the NKVD since 1941, and when he got transferred to the Manhattan Project in 1944 he continued to do so, most notably technical data on how the implosion detonator worked, which likely saved at least two years of design time for the Soviets.

Second, Stalin had his own bomb project under Igor Vasilevich Kurchatov working at full speed since 1942 (Kurchatov was already one of the USSR's leading minds in nuclear physics by that point). It was, shall we say, "overseen" by Lavrenty Beria, the murderous head of the NKVD, which no doubt both increased its resource allotments and contributed to motivating the science team.

There wasn't nearly as much take away for either America or the USSR from the Nazi bomb project to be honest, as it never was afforded all that high a priority by Hitler and, like so much in the Third Reich, various arms of the military/government had competing projects that spent most of their time squabbling over resources and prestige.

So was it boradly equal measures of self-funded work and espionage that got the bomb out the door on the Soviet side, or could one point to one source of progress as the main contirbutor?

That tiny window of time between the US having the bomb and literally nobody else is pretty crazy to think about - it seems the US was somewhat caught be surprise with the soviet test while still in the process of figuring out just how much peen they really want to throw around and where, using their fancy new city-eradication weapons. The actual bipolar nuclear standoff we got is often read as being extraordinarily dangerous and unstable, but one can't help but think about how close we were to an exclusivley US-lead nuclear world-hegemony.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What was a normal dinner for a peasant in the Middle Ages?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What was a normal dinner for a pheasant in the Middle Ages?

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Were the Irish Republicans correct to reject Michael Collins' Anglo-Irish Treaty, leading up to the Irish Civil War, or were the Nationalists correct in seeing the big picture and working towards a future Republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr. Wynand posted:

So was it boradly equal measures of self-funded work and espionage that got the bomb out the door on the Soviet side, or could one point to one source of progress as the main contirbutor?

That tiny window of time between the US having the bomb and literally nobody else is pretty crazy to think about - it seems the US was somewhat caught be surprise with the soviet test while still in the process of figuring out just how much peen they really want to throw around and where, using their fancy new city-eradication weapons. The actual bipolar nuclear standoff we got is often read as being extraordinarily dangerous and unstable, but one can't help but think about how close we were to an exclusivley US-lead nuclear world-hegemony.

I don't think the US could have prevented the USSR from getting the bomb, nor other major powers. It's not like the physics works differently in Russia, they could have figured it out eventually. Even if the US had a larger window in which they were the sole nuclear power I'm not sure what geopolitical effects it would have had. Maybe North Korea wouldn't exist because the threat of being nuked by China/USSR wouldn't exist. I don't think we would have used nukes in China to prevent Mao from winning there. Other than that I don't think things would have been too different

• Locked thread