Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Has anyone read anything good about French colonialims in sub-saharan Africa, or anything good about 19th century colonialism? I was trying to look up the French campaigns that put places like Mali and Niger under their control and there wasn't much on wikipedia, especially considering there seemed to have been several big battles and conquests over many thousands of miles in a relatively short time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I can't think of any French stuff offhand, but I've got one on Germany's misadventures in Africa you might want to check out. It's not exclusively focused on colonialism, but nevertheless I always recommend is Isabel Hull's Absolute Destruction: Military Culture and the Practices of War in Imperial Germany. While focusing on Germany militarism, it uses military and colonial policy during the Herero-Nama Revolt in German Southwest Africa as a major example.

Thanks, I was also considering reading King Leopold's Ghost although for some reason I'm especially interested in French history, maybe because it seems to be covered so poorly in American popular history. I'm just really curious how European colonial powers went into places that maybe before hadn't had any government at all and built a modern state, generally in very little time. Like the Belgian Congo though anything about the Herero-Nama revolt has got to be depressing, although otherwise it sounds much like what I'm looking for

• Locked thread