Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

no that's ball tracking

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I use a trackball at work so that I don't throw off my carefully calibrated muscle memory for when it's time to play FPS games.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The good thing about trackballs is that they are so bad at everything that you have no other option than to finally learn all the keyboard shortcuts

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
trackballs are the best at everything except 360 noscopes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a good trackball can be spun like an arcade table ball in 360 and stopped on a dime and it owns for quake style fast turns

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
cleaning out my rat's nest of a computer parts box, hoverwife came across my old trackball and was all WTF IS THIS THING

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Agile Vector posted:

a good trackball can be spun like an arcade table ball in 360 and stopped on a dime and it owns for quake style fast turns

i believe i stated this in the first post

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

cleaning out my rat's nest of a computer parts box, hoverwife came across my old trackball and was all WTF IS THIS THING

'why do you always have to zip up after using your mouse' i chuckled nervously

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

i use a logitech m570 at work, op.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

trackballs are garbage

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

trackballs are garbage

carpal tunnel syndrome is Cool and Good

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

OldAlias posted:

carpal tunnel syndrome is Cool and Good

it's a small price to pay

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

yellow borders posted:

i use a logitech m570 at work, op.

same, it's so that other people can't use my computer. I'd buy a left hand one if I could just to really screw with people.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

honestly the best way to discourage people from using your computer is to use a trackpad because olds and the tech illiterate cant process how they work

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
blank caps on the keyboard is less cumbersome than using a suckpad

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'can i use your computer?'

*gestures to trackpad*

'eventually!'

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

'can i use your computer?'

*gestures to trackpad*

'eventually!'

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i have scary memories that have scarred me.. i can't touch a trackball because that big yellow centipede trackball used to pinch my hand over and over and i bled and cried and cried

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSPzsV2YN6Q

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

so what the gently caress is it eh?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i have scary memories that have scarred me.. i can't touch a trackball because that big yellow centipede trackball used to pinch my hand over and over and i bled and cried and cried

get an Atari 2600 TrakBall and desensitize yourself

(my parents should still have one in their basement in very good condition, I've considered asking them to send it...)

eschaton fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 1, 2017

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

my wrist pain from work computing went away entirely a few days after switching to a trackball

same

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

By now you should be used to your wife saying that when you pull your thing out of the box

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A Pinball Wizard posted:

By now you should be used to your wife saying that when you pull your thing out of the box

tbf she didn't know it had even been in there in the first place

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
On a side note--WTF are these?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One of my students has one of those. It's weird

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Chill Callahan posted:

nokia n-gage mouse looking good

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Chill Callahan posted:

I think they're supposed to be better for your fingers/hand or something

don't look any weirder than anything else that's designed to fit into a human hand, to be honest

hmm, available left-handed apparently, nice

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

yup ergo mice for people with grindy wrists, we approve a lot of them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

nokia n-gage mouse looking good

side mousin'

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

The XKCD Larper posted:

Going to go steal my mother's wireless trackball mouse so I can weigh in.

Update: Been using my mother's Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball for about 5 days now. She doesnt use her computer (Which has Ubuntu Installed on it) very much so she hasn't noticed that I have it yet.

I'm hooked already. Past the initial learning curve, moving around with the trackball feels great and has greatly reduced my amount of wrist strain after long computing sessions. Still working on the full review, but here's a quick overview of what I've noticed so far:

Pros:
Good ergonomics
Light
Looks great
Great battery life
Forward/back buttons speed up browsing
Can be used virtually anywhere
Micro USB dongle looks great with my HHKB

Cons:
Takes a day or two to get used to
Slightly weird placement of right-click
Scrolling feels less natural than my MX518

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

thumb trackballs are the best

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Chill Callahan posted:

I got my grandmother the Anker version of that. She likes it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

eschaton posted:

side mousin'

ghostride the click

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i sometimes think about getting a trackball to try it out but i realized that the way i use my mouse doesn't even involve my wrist usually. i just hold it with my fingertips and slide it around in a 1" circle while keeping my wrist steady. have mouse DPI set at around 2000 so that it maps to the whole screen in that area. i dunno if that's good or what but i don't (yet) get wrist pain from computering.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I've found it impossible to find novelty trackballs since like 1998. you know, 8 balls, smiley faces, etc.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

blugu64 posted:

I've found it impossible to find novelty trackballs since like 1998. you know, 8 balls, smiley faces, etc.

poo poo i would buy all these trackballs for my work mouse :(

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

blugu64 posted:

what if a trackball made of pure thc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

what if a trackball made of pure thc

id be twice as high thats what

• Locked thread