Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

i sometimes think about getting a trackball to try it out but i realized that the way i use my mouse doesn't even involve my wrist usually. i just hold it with my fingertips and slide it around in a 1" circle while keeping my wrist steady. have mouse DPI set at around 2000 so that it maps to the whole screen in that area. i dunno if that's good or what but i don't (yet) get wrist pain from computering.

this supremacy. been touching computers since the mid 90s and never had even the slightest hint of wrist soreness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
i bought a trackball for work because my Varidesk doesn't leave enough room for a regular mouse IMO. It seems lovely and I don't like clicking small buttons with it. it's a logitech m570.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Chill Callahan posted:

On a side note--WTF are these?

It's a giant carpal tunnel syndrome machine, just like this thing

Maybe if people would stop using their whole arm to move a tiny little goddamn mouse it would stop hurting so much!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The XKCD Larper posted:

Update: Been using my mother's Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball for about 5 days now. She doesnt use her computer (Which has Ubuntu Installed on it) very much so she hasn't noticed that I have it yet.

I'm hooked already. Past the initial learning curve, moving around with the trackball feels great and has greatly reduced my amount of wrist strain after long computing sessions. Still working on the full review, but here's a quick overview of what I've noticed so far:

Pros:
Good ergonomics
Light
Looks great
Great battery life
Forward/back buttons speed up browsing
Can be used virtually anywhere
Micro USB dongle looks great with my HHKB

Cons:
Takes a day or two to get used to
Slightly weird placement of right-click
Scrolling feels less natural than my MX518

installing ubuntu on your mothers computer to make her stop using it so you can steal her hardware. that is cold man

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
back when I was unemployed and playing dota 13+ hours a day I would get some disturbing carpal tunnel pain. not permanent, but I can see how someone doing extreme mousing all day at work could develop a problem. however my current computer janitor job involves a lot of walking around and very little data entry so I'm nowhere near in need of specialized input hardware

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I can sort of accept that fingertip-controlled trackballs like the ones from Kensington are a viable alternative to a regular mouse, but the thumb-controlled ones like that M570 makes my hand hurt just looking at it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

I can sort of accept that fingertip-controlled trackballs like the ones from Kensington are a viable alternative to a regular mouse, but the thumb-controlled ones like that M570 makes my hand hurt just looking at it

the fingertip ones are supposed to be the worst of the trackballs, although any different input device is just going to shift the stress to a different part of your arm. i'm glad i have the perfect biomechanics for sitting in front of a computer for 16 hours a day

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

blugu64 posted:

I've found it impossible to find novelty trackballs since like 1998. you know, 8 balls, smiley faces, etc.

I touch the mouse maybe once every 20 minutes so I dont think Id mind one thats like a big pair of tits or a golf ball

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

hey guys its only page 3 so you probably havent thought of this yet, but did you notice "trackballs" has the word "balls" in it? you have to squint, but it's in there at the end. might get a chuckle out of it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not only does it have the word "balls" but also the word "rack" :eyepop:

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

installing ubuntu on your mothers computer to make her stop using it so you can steal her hardware. that is cold man

It wasnt me it was another family member with a severely misguided idea of what it should be like for her to Compute

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Linux Distro Dad

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Agile Vector posted:

Linux Distro Dad

mods

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

i sometimes think about getting a trackball to try it out but i realized that the way i use my mouse doesn't even involve my wrist usually. i just hold it with my fingertips and slide it around in a 1" circle while keeping my wrist steady. have mouse DPI set at around 2000 so that it maps to the whole screen in that area. i dunno if that's good or what but i don't (yet) get wrist pain from computering.

hmmm. same

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the point of a trackball being used with the thumb though is that moving fingers goes through the wrist as well, the thumb is way harder to mess up than the rest of the hand

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

r u ready to WALK posted:

It's a giant carpal tunnel syndrome machine, just like this thing

Maybe if people would stop using their whole arm to move a tiny little goddamn mouse it would stop hurting so much!

You put that up your rear end.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hard to use the awp with trackball

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

hifi posted:

the fingertip ones are supposed to be the worst of the trackballs, although any different input device is just going to shift the stress to a different part of your arm. i'm glad i have the perfect biomechanics for sitting in front of a computer for 16 hours a day

weird. i've heard the opposite, that the thumb trackballs were bad.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
this is mine and it is the best

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

this is mine and it is the best

scroll ring >>> scroll wheel

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I bet they're great for pretending to be a DJ and remixing someone's post.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Salt Fish posted:

I bet they're great for pretending to be a DJ and remixing someone's post.

i typically remix posts clockwise as is traditional in my hemisphere

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I suppose this also neatly sidesteps the question of whether scroll wheels should be reversed or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Finally, a nbsd yospinion we can all get behind.

• Locked thread