Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd start by checking the health of the HDD using Crystal Disk Info (get the ZIP version to avoid anime).

I'd also suggest making sure all your drivers are up to date, as a hang like that could be a device misbehaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Crystal is a pretty reliable and generalizable tool to check on drive health. For a Seagate drive Seatools is fine, but Crystal has the advantage of being brand-agnostic. I used Seatools to verify that a Seagate drive I had purchased was DOA, but if I remember correctly that was also a requirement to RMA the drive.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Are your Nvidia drivers up to date? 2016 was the worst year in my memory for the quality of Nvidia drivers, so that isn't a bad place to check.

When you updated last did you run DDU and remove all the old driver files before doing a fresh installation? If not, that might be worth a shot. I've personally avoided using GeForce Experience for so long that I continue to avoid it out of habit, so can't really speak to it as a possible culprit.

• Locked thread