Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

Zogo posted:

Seems like a very annoying/intermittent issue. If I was in your situation I'd do a fresh install of Windows 10.

If the problems still appeared then we could be sure it was a hardware issue.

if he thinks its a hardware issue with his on board networking card i could do the opposite. head on down to walmart and pick up a dirt cheap pci network card and see if it helps. fresh installs are way more of a pain in the rear end than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

Bluhman posted:

I'm probably going to do something like that after I get a second SSD to pair with my HDD. There's some software/games I run that don't seem to like Windows 10 for some reason, which is mainly the reason why I haven't stuck with the upgrade when I first went through with it.

I'd still try to figure out what the symptoms I'm seeing actually mean, since a full reformat is such an excessive solution to what I think anyone else would just live with. Last time I had an issue people told me to reformat to fix (games just randomly freezing), it turned out my solution was just not running EVGA precision at the same time I was playing games. I mean yeah reformatting would've fixed that problem since I wouldn't have that software anymore.

Regardless of what I think about reformatting, once I plug in an SSD and install a new windows on that, I can hopefully leave that issue behind me while still possibly(?) having access to my previous installation on the old HDD's files. Depends on how I'm supposed to install secondary drives, still not clear on all the details of setting up multi-drive computers.

As much as I agree about fresh installs, I'm pretty sure this isn't a hardware issue, otherwise I'd probably be having a lot more consistent problems with my internet, regardless of what crap my ISP's throwing up. Worse comes to worse, though, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I misread what you wrote. for some reason I thought you said you suspected it was a hardware issue. Bleeping computer has a handy network fixer that I have had some success with when fixing weird networking issues on friends and family's computers. I don't know how useful it will be in your situation.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/netadapter-repair-all-in-one/

This program has also come in handy more than once for me

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Also I'm not sure if you know about windows reliability monitor but it basically takes info from event manager and makes it easier to parse. Pretty sure it is built in to windows 8.

• Locked thread