Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
A lot. Probably more than anyone else for a while yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If current regulations continue for the next ~10 years: a whole loving lot.

If dorna decide five years from now that fart powered hybrid tricycles are the future and everyone's marquez-style skillset becomes instantly obsolete then not a lot.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
I think we'll be seeing turbos and superchargers before we see hybrids.

Electric-only bikes might be a thing soon, but the tech has to evolve a lot to see it as a viable motoGP alternative.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

500cc turbos are definitely a realistic prospect considering the way road-bikes are heading. I don't know what all the turbo plumbing and triplicate increase in torque would mean for chassis design and riding style but I suspect it would absolutely kill any prospects the corner speed riders like Lorenzo have, unless tyres and suspension also make some sort of quantum leap in the next couple of years.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

500cc turbos are definitely a realistic prospect considering the way road-bikes are heading. I don't know what all the turbo plumbing and triplicate increase in torque would mean for chassis design and riding style but I suspect it would absolutely kill any prospects the corner speed riders like Lorenzo have, unless tyres and suspension also make some sort of quantum leap in the next couple of years.

You aren't serious about turbo GP bikes right - and turbo bikes in general right? Where is the push for turbo motors?

Given how very close the bikes are getting, the biggest single factor is going to be tires. Will Michelin keep loving with the tires? I've always felt that since they have moved to the control tires, some of the changes have been attempts to give Valentino the tires he prefers.

I don't have much confidence in Marquez's development abilities - or at least how Honda works with him. At some point, he's going to going to get really hurt with all the crashing he does. In the next 5 years I'd bet that he will win 3 or 4 out of the 5 titles. He is still the fastest rider on the planet, it's very sad that Casey didn't stick around long enough for them to really fight it out.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
First test day in Valencia and Valentio Rossi tells the 2016 M1 exactly what he thinks of it after tossing the bike into turn 10:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

You aren't serious about turbo GP bikes right - and turbo bikes in general right? Where is the push for turbo motors?

Given how very close the bikes are getting, the biggest single factor is going to be tires. Will Michelin keep loving with the tires? I've always felt that since they have moved to the control tires, some of the changes have been attempts to give Valentino the tires he prefers.

I don't have much confidence in Marquez's development abilities - or at least how Honda works with him. At some point, he's going to going to get really hurt with all the crashing he does. In the next 5 years I'd bet that he will win 3 or 4 out of the 5 titles. He is still the fastest rider on the planet, it's very sad that Casey didn't stick around long enough for them to really fight it out.

All the Japanese brands are building, patenting or developing forced induction bikes. Electric is still really far off and something has to fill the hole as emissions regulations tighten; some models are already getting bigger engines with identical outputs as the old because of tightening emissions standards. Eventually GP will be running big aspirated engines while every sporty road bike has a small blown engine, and the writing will be on the wall as it was with two strokes.

Michelin will definitely keep loving with the tyres.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So the man replacing the legend that is Livio Suppo at Honda is.... Alberto Puig.

What... lmao

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/puig-set-to-become-honda-s-new-motogp-boss-979101/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Haha :wtc:

It'll be entertaining watching Hondas burst into flames for once though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Two strokes are making a comeback on dirtbikes.

FI bikes - I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

• Locked thread