Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Gorge is getting faster nearly every race and GiGi knows how to design bikes that Jorge likes. He'll get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

n8r posted:

Gorge is getting faster nearly every race and GiGi knows how to design bikes that Jorge likes. He'll get there.

Yeah honestly I've been pretty impressed with how Jorge has done this year. He's spent a lot more time in the lead than I expected, even if he hasn't turned it into wins. The progress is happening. And he can fight when he's got the bike for it. He'll get a win in '18 even if he's not a championship contender.

Buhbuhj posted:

Marc is also loving this poo poo. Every race where 1st has been contested he is glowing during the interviews.

I love when you see them really having fun. When Marc and Rossi were scrapping in Marc's first season or two in GP was some of the best.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 17, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yeah honestly I've been pretty impressed with how Jorge has done this year. He's spent a lot more time in the lead than I expected, even if he hasn't turned it into wins. The progress is happening. And he can fight when he's got the bike for it. He'll get a win in '18 even if he's not a championship contender.

I love when you see them really having fun. When Marc and Rossi were scrapping in Marc's first season or two in GP was some of the best.

Really separates the champions from the Setes of of the world.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yeah honestly I've been pretty impressed with how Jorge has done this year. He's spent a lot more time in the lead than I expected, even if he hasn't turned it into wins.
What explains this anyway? I feel like most races this year, he leads it for the first 2 or 3 laps, way out in front as if no one could touch him, and then falls back to finish 9th. Tires can't go off THAT fast can they? Why would he be so on and then off?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

It's not even worth acknowledging them anymore, just let the haters hate.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What explains this anyway? I feel like most races this year, he leads it for the first 2 or 3 laps, way out in front as if no one could touch him, and then falls back to finish 9th. Tires can't go off THAT fast can they? Why would he be so on and then off?

Jorge is a bit of a robot rider. Once things start getting out of parameter he can't completely over come whatever the issue may be. It's also one of the reasons he doesn't have great success in the pack. When he has to change his lines and braking points to get around other riders, unless it's clear track in front of him, he can't seem to gather it back up quickly and keep going. When everything is mostly perfect, the guy is a hell of a rider, metronome laps and all. Eventually they'll get it figured out and deliver a bike to Jorge that will suit him completely.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks to me like a bunch of different stuff. In a lot of cases he has the speed but hasn't yet learned to mitigate tyre wear or save fuel which seem to be a lot more critical on the ducati than they ever were on the Yamaha. So he's fast enough until the tyres expire, often this is exacerbated by him only being fast on the softest option. Sometimes he's known this to start with and just had no choice but to employ the Nicky Hayden strategy wherein he he goes as fast as he can at the start then attempts to control his plummet backwards so as to land somewhere in the top ten.In the wet races it's definitely partly psychological; he's able to be super quick in the wet provided it isn't actually raining. The lack of visibility is what hinders him more so than the water on the tyres I think.

This particular race he had the same problem as everyone on the grid: the bike and tyres have a narrow water quantity/temperature window and where that window falls depends largely on the bike and preferred setup and the water quantity was too much for his tyres to play ball with his bike. The Michelins in general, both wet and dry, seem to have better performance than the Bridgestones when they're working right (nobody was using carbon brakes and being elbow down on Bridgestone wets), but have a super narrow happy zone and a lot of the time, some bikes just fall between or outside of the choices they bring. Last year it was Marquez falling afoul of having no front tyre hard enough for his style, and the Yamahas all struggled to warm up their tyres on cold days. This year everyone has gotten better at predicting Michelin's BS and consistency has improved accordingly.

Regardless, all of this stuff are things he's mentioned before and will probably fix eventually. I'd argue he's learning faster than anyone else has before on their switch to red, the fact that he's got podiums at all is more than you'd expect with pretty much anyone else jumping on it for the first time (besides Marquez I suspect). It'll be interesting to compare how quickly Jack miller comes up to speed next year as I suspect coming from a Honda will give him a better skillset to start with.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

And it all makes sense now - George is Sebastian Vettel. Conditions have to be perfect, and he’s not the best elbows-out combat racer on the grid.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Yes, don’t form your own opinion.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
My opinion is that Jorge sux and is bad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

harperdc posted:

And it all makes sense now - George is Sebastian Vettel. Conditions have to be perfect, and he’s not the best elbows-out combat racer on the grid.

GTFO with this F1 bullshit. Even the worst most miserable rider on the gp grid (Karel Abraham in case you were wondering) has more sack and talent than anyone in F1.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
And is more entertaining to watch in interviews. Except Jorge.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Jorge is lame and I don't understand how people are acting like he's gonna challenge for the 2018 championship when he still falls apart half way into any given race on the Ducati.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

George has adapted faster to the ducati than any rider besides stoner (and his was so loving long ago it hardly bears comparison). Several times this year he's been faster than dovi despite dovi having a huge amount of experience on the bike and clearly being one of the strongest riders this season. He 'falls apart' because he still hasn't gotten a feel for an effective race strategy on that bike, as mentioned by myself a few posts up from yours. It's pretty hilarious to say he 'still' falls apart when every other successful rider they've had (again apart from stoner) has taken several years to even get into podium contention and he's managed to do it in half a season.

Fanboy bullshit is for other sites, the expectation here is that you aren't an idiot and try to actually understand what's happening instead of just drooling and waving your yellow/red/orange flag.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

And is more entertaining to watch in interviews. Except Jorge.

In a shocking turn of events even Pedrosa has developed a personality in the last few years. Maybe there's hope for George yet....

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
If you don’t enjoy the small pleasure that is Lorenzo telling journalists that Zarco rides like a video game then I can’t help you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

GTFO with this F1 bullshit. Even the worst most miserable rider on the gp grid (Karel Abraham in case you were wondering) has more sack and talent than anyone in F1.

Hi yeah that’s not my point of comparison whatsoever.

Jorge needs the bike a certain way, and wins races predominantly by leading from the front and strangling the life out of it. Vettel needs his bike car a certain way and wins races in a similar way. Guys like Marquez, Ricciardo, Rossi, Hamilton are more comfortable dicing and making passes. It’s about race craft and mechanical preferences, not trying to say who’s got more sack than the other guy. This isn’t a bike vs car thing, it’s seeing similarities between two champions across disciplines.

And FWIW either Vale or Marc would do well in top-class car racing because their race craft and read of grip is so drat good. Doing that with your rear end in the saddle is different than in a cockpit, but I think their skills would transfer well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All of that implies passing happens in F1 and I've yet to see evidence of that :smuggo:

Also, Lorenzo isn't bad in a battle. That's largely an internet myth and if you go back and actually watch some races you'll find many where he's had to fight for positions, especially in his earlier years on the Yamaha before he figured out how to be so fast from the start that he didn't need to battle. Indeed even several times this year he's rallied from quite far back when other riders tyres have dropped and gained several positions in the closing stages.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 18, 2017

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Slavvy posted:

George has adapted faster to the ducati than any rider besides stoner (and his was so loving long ago it hardly bears comparison). Several times this year he's been faster than dovi despite dovi having a huge amount of experience on the bike and clearly being one of the strongest riders this season. He 'falls apart' because he still hasn't gotten a feel for an effective race strategy on that bike, as mentioned by myself a few posts up from yours. It's pretty hilarious to say he 'still' falls apart when every other successful rider they've had (again apart from stoner) has taken several years to even get into podium contention and he's managed to do it in half a season.

Fanboy bullshit is for other sites, the expectation here is that you aren't an idiot and try to actually understand what's happening instead of just drooling and waving your yellow/red/orange flag.

I don't think its necessarily race strategy as much as it is tire management, he's lead close to if not more laps than Dovi this season but he's blowing his load like a 13 year old at a strip joint instead of saving it for when it matters, maybe they can fix that with the bike but I suspect that its more intrinsically linked to the engine's power delivery and that's not going to be something they want to change. I find it hard to follow the arguement that him getting into the podium is a huge success story when this year's bike is clearly the best one since the Stoner era and Yamaha has taken a huge step backwards this year, but then again I'm just a drooling idiot fanboy so what do I know?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This year's bike is almost identical to last year's bike, dovi has said so himself. The main difference is IMO ducati have figured out how to get the best out of the tyres on a consistent basis and yamaha haven't while honda sort of have and are leaning on a marquez shaped crutch. George is doing better than petrucci, a guy on the exact same bike with several years' ducati experience under his belt. George has also switched almost his entire crew (including, crucially, crew chief) and is having to learn the ropes of ducati's organisation and culture and way of working at the same time as getting to grips with a bike that he effectively has to test while racing.

Race strategy and tyre management are the exact same thing. To whit:

Slavvy posted:

Looks to me like a bunch of different stuff. In a lot of cases he has the speed but hasn't yet learned to mitigate tyre wear or save fuel which seem to be a lot more critical on the ducati than they ever were on the Yamaha. So he's fast enough until the tyres expire, often this is exacerbated by him only being fast on the softest option. Sometimes he's known this to start with and just had no choice but to employ the Nicky Hayden strategy wherein he he goes as fast as he can at the start then attempts to control his plummet backwards so as to land somewhere in the top ten.In the wet races it's definitely partly psychological; he's able to be super quick in the wet provided it isn't actually raining. The lack of visibility is what hinders him more so than the water on the tyres I think.

This particular race he had the same problem as everyone on the grid: the bike and tyres have a narrow water quantity/temperature window and where that window falls depends largely on the bike and preferred setup and the water quantity was too much for his tyres to play ball with his bike. The Michelins in general, both wet and dry, seem to have better performance than the Bridgestones when they're working right (nobody was using carbon brakes and being elbow down on Bridgestone wets), but have a super narrow happy zone and a lot of the time, some bikes just fall between or outside of the choices they bring. Last year it was Marquez falling afoul of having no front tyre hard enough for his style, and the Yamahas all struggled to warm up their tyres on cold days. This year everyone has gotten better at predicting Michelin's BS and consistency has improved accordingly.

I'll add that at Austria, he was noticeably faster than dovi at the start of the race but ended up going backwards because he failed to conserve his fuel load and ended up on the lowest-power setting after just a few laps, while dovi did it all with his wrist. Experience matters a lot and he's learning with every race.

I am the absolute last person who would defend lorenzo, I'm very much not a fan of him or his personality, but he's been objectively impressive this year and isn't crashing and burning anywhere near as much as I expected him to.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

On Lorenzo's good days he's impressive to watch. Exciting - not particularly - but impressive. I can't really recall any examples of hard fought battles that he's had, but I'm sure they have happened. I don't really have the memory of races like some people do. Lorenzo reminds me of a modern day Biaggi in riding style. Biaggi was a lot more hateable - but man what a pretty rider.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most of his hard fought battles were against pedrosa who IMO is faster and better on his day but his day is like one in six races instead of nearly all the time like George on the Yamaha.

Not counting the ones he lost to Rossi. Biaggi was a MUCH bigger oval office for sure.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Valencia 2014 (? Marquezs first gp championship year) was some good fighting with Lorenzo

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
2014 Silverstone in particular where he rides rights through Marquez's leg for the win. Really makes his bitching about people touching him transparently bullshit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It seems like a Spanish thing, gibernau was the same and vinales is shaping up the same. Marquez is the exception.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Ducati seems to be trying to make things harder on themselves. Top Ducati is Dovi, but he's way back in 11th place. Though Jorge is going to have his issues this weekend, crashing out in one of the free practice runs and spraining his ankle.

First row is Marquez, Vinales, and Zarco.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
WSBK doesn't matter much now as Rea already won the title, but the WSBK circus is in Jerez this weekend. Race one, Melandri lead for most of the race only to have the Ducati give up and die with four laps to go.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Skreemer posted:

Ducati seems to be trying to make things harder on themselves. Top Ducati is Dovi, but he's way back in 11th place. Though Jorge is going to have his issues this weekend, crashing out in one of the free practice runs and spraining his ankle.

First row is Marquez, Vinales, and Zarco.

Man I want Zarco to get a win.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If Rossi somehow takes out MM the conspiracies will be ridiculous.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
What an epic race... Maybe the best of the season.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
That was brilliant. Love Rossi and Marquez's interviews, always so happy to have had a close race, that's what makes them so much fun.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Redvenom posted:

That was brilliant. Love Rossi and Marquez's interviews, always so happy to have had a close race, that's what makes them so much fun.

"The guys up front are really aggressive, you just have the be more stupid."

drat good race. I feel bad for Zarco that Vinales positioned himself perfectly for the double slipstream and stole away 3rd.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Redvenom posted:

Oh yeah, for sure. Not like that complainer, Lorenzo. I remember 2 years ago when Rossi and Marquez were having all kinds of fun and smiles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So long, dovi. Was a fun dream while it lasted but sweaty Spaniards will always prevail in the end.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Zarco was robbed, but man what a race.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Malaysia GP this weekend:
Marquez makes an amazing save in FP4, then drops the bike during qualifying.
Rossi set the top time of the weekend so far in FP3 with a 1'59.947, but then that's been beat during qualifying.

Pedrosa, Zarco, Dovi, Rossi, Vinales, Lorenzo, Marquez, Rins, Ianone, Crutchlow, Miller, Espargaro is the first 12, there were about 5 pole position changes in the last minute of qualifying.

The faintest glimmer of hope for Dovi.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is as weak as Marquez is likely to get, and as strong as dovi can expect. Crazy poo poo can and does happen.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone following Moto2, Luthi took a nasty highside during QP, I'd be surprised if he didn't have a concussion.
Baldassari came off too and looked like he got knocked out.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Rossi torpedos MM, Dovi takes the W, going to Valencia with an 8 point gap to MM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
If MM is not at the front by turn 15 on the first lap, he'll push too hard into turn 15 and either screw it up or wreck.

• Locked thread