Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh hey hello MotoGP thread, this is where you are.

Lorenzo struggling to adapt the Ducati and Iannone throwing it off the island WHY I NEVER.

It was great action though, and you have to back Vinales in with a good chance. The Yamaha is probably the best all-around bike on the grid, Marquez may toss the Honda up himself but the speed of the Tech 3 guys is proof enough. Looks like the satellite Duke might be solid too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Man I'm getting old I still have trouble thinking of Zarco as anyone other than captain meltdown who couldn't win a 125 race to save his life despite all he's accomplished.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Man I'm getting old I still have trouble thinking of Zarco as anyone other than captain meltdown who couldn't win a 125 race to save his life despite all he's accomplished.

Zarco just needed to go 4 stroke. (and 600cc plus)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Johnny Rea takes race one in Motorland Aragon for WSBK. It was a decent battle between Rea and Davies until Davies lost grip on the second to last lap. The crash looked bad as the bike trapped him and they slid together. They reported he was OK, I hope that's completely true.

Xavi Fores had an exciting time, he crashed early on and rejoined the race. Later on his bike caught fire and he rode it into the kitty litter before jumping off. http://www.worldsbk.com/en/videos/2017/MotorLand%20Aragon%20Race%201%20Fores%20Technical%20problem

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, since when do the Superbikes have race one on Saturday?

Am I really that old and out of touch?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

algebra testes posted:

Wait, since when do the Superbikes have race one on Saturday?

Am I really that old and out of touch?

Started recently. Race 1 on Saturday and race 2 on Sunday. Go read about the flipped grid structure for race 2 as well.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Race 2 today, Chaz Davies made a drat good showing. Rea gave Chaz a fight of it, but the Ducati was a bit much in the long straights.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Loved the Qatar race. Great way to start the season.

I live in Austin so the CotA race is just in my (figurative) back yard.
Been to every GP race at CotA, first year got turn 1 seats which were awesome. Got turn 15 two years ago which was awesome too. You get to see the bikes come screaming down the back straight at 213mph then dump over to a hard left, then you get to watch the rides navigate through ~5 turns. Lots of action there.
Turn 19 surprisingly sees a lot of crashes, not sure why.

This year I'm super pumped. A buddy of mine has been volunteering as a marshal the last few F1/GP races and hit me up.
This year I'll be working media assistance after the race, which gives me access to the paddock and pits during the race.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Skreemer posted:

Race 2 today, Chaz Davies made a drat good showing. Rea gave Chaz a fight of it, but the Ducati was a bit much in the long straights.

That was a great race by Welshie and a nail-biter toward the end. A little clash in the last few corners.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I thought this was cool.
https://twitter.com/MotoGP/status/850418854434033664

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wtf is happening with these practice sessions, why are all the poo poo tier teams in the top ten.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

Wtf is happening with these practice sessions, why are all the poo poo tier teams in the top ten.

Michelin is mandating that 5 race flying laps be made on the hard option tires or suffer a 6 place grid penalty. They are trying to get tire data so a fiasco of a mandatory pit stop doesn't happen like last year.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Huh. Does nobody use V-twins anymore?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Has there ever been a V Twin in MotoGP?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Back in the day, yes. But I am unsure about the modern 4-stroke era.

Honda made their cheep and cheerful NSR500V v twin privateer/factory bike until around 2001 or so.

E this post is super unhelpful I know, but the smallest cylinder engine I can think of is the Aprillia Cube which was a tripple of some sort. I belive it spent most of its time highsiding its riders.

For a while it was thought that v4 was the best configuration and I think it is in terms of power. Also they alternate between screamer and big bang every few years I believe which is hilarious.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 7, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo

:siren: :supaburn: KTM not slowest in fp only second and third slowest.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Back in the day, yes. But I am unsure about the modern 4-stroke era.

Honda made their cheep and cheerful NSR500V v twin privateer/factory bike until around 2001 or so.

E this post is super unhelpful I know, but the smallest cylinder engine I can think of is the Aprillia Cube which was a tripple of some sort. I belive it spent most of its time highsiding its riders.

For a while it was thought that v4 was the best configuration and I think it is in terms of power. Also they alternate between screamer and big bang every few years I believe which is hilarious.

The Aprilia rotax was definitely a triple, was also the first one to have pneumatic valves. Also the 211v was a v5 back when they let you have more cylinders in exchange for more weight.

I don't see how the mandatory five hard laps make any difference at all, everyone was shooting for a time at the end of fp2 on soft tyres and both 25 and 93 performed as normal.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I seem to recall Colin Edwards having some harsh things to say about the 3 cylinder Aprilia. Something about it having extreme vibration issues? Might have read that in Spalding's book on MotoGP Technology (which is starting to get outdated -- wonder if there are plans for a 3rd edition).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think it was a complaint about it overheating and getting quite hot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nsaP posted:

Has there ever been a V Twin in MotoGP?

In the 500cc era, yes. In the four-stroke MotoGP era? Nope. Mostly four cylinders, with Aprilia and Honda as outliers as mentioned.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Rather bizarre question but does anybody have any info on old aprilia rotax 125cc two stroke engines? I've always heard that they were the basis for Rotax's modern kart engines.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The question thread would probably get you a lot more replies.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Vinales had a moment in FP1 on the turn 13/14 combo. In turn 13 the bike compressed and when he went to move on to the other side to set up for the next corner, the bike snapped up and he had a head shake so violent, that even though he didn't crash, the airbag in his suit went off.
turn your speakers down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvdqnGZHxlU

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 8, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao I didn't realise the Texas Tornado was doing Moto3 practice commentary for BT.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 8, 2017

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

The Aprilia rotax was definitely a triple, was also the first one to have pneumatic valves. Also the 211v was a v5 back when they let you have more cylinders in exchange for more weight.

I don't see how the mandatory five hard laps make any difference at all, everyone was shooting for a time at the end of fp2 on soft tyres and both 25 and 93 performed as normal.

I can't find the chart browsing on the phone but I'm 90% sure the weight categories in 2002 were for 2,3,4, and 6 cylinders and honda was able to go with the max 4 cylinder weight because no one accounted for anyone making a wacky v5 engine.

Here we go 4 and 5 cylinder weight allowance was the same at 320 pounds because why even try to figure it out no one will do it.

BitcoinRockefeller fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 8, 2017

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Pedrosa, Rossi, and Lorenzo had to go through Q1. Lorenzo was 6th in Q1 meaning he didn't make it to Q2. In Q2 Pedrosa got 5th and Rossi got 7th. Marquez got pole.

In everyone's defense, it is raining out and no one likes the surface when it's dry.

Look at the first few rows:

1 93 Marc MARQUEZ
2 17 Karel ABRAHAM
3 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW
4 9 Danilo PETRUCCI
5 26 Dani PEDROSA
6 25 Maverick VIŅALES
7 46 Valentino ROSSI
8 41 Aleix ESPARGARO
9 76 Loris BAZ
10 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA
11 94 Jonas FOLGER
12 29 Andrea IANNONE

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 8, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I can't find the chart browsing on the phone but I'm 90% sure the weight categories in 2002 were for 2,3,4, and 6 cylinders and honda was able to go with the max 4 cylinder weight because no one accounted for anyone making a wacky v5 engine.

Here we go 4 and 5 cylinder weight allowance was the same at 320 pounds because why even try to figure it out no one will do it.

:psyduck:

Skreemer posted:

Pedrosa, Rossi, and Lorenzo had to go through Q1. Lorenzo was 6th in Q1 meaning he didn't make it to Q2. In Q2 Pedrosa got 5th and Rossi got 7th. Marquez got pole.

In everyone's defense, it is raining out and no one likes the surface when it's dry.

Look at the first few rows:

1 93 Marc MARQUEZ
2 17 Karel ABRAHAM
3 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW
4 9 Danilo PETRUCCI
5 26 Dani PEDROSA
6 25 Maverick VIŅALES
7 46 Valentino ROSSI
8 41 Aleix ESPARGARO
9 76 Loris BAZ
10 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA
11 94 Jonas FOLGER
12 29 Andrea IANNONE

Ye olde ducke must be absolutely exceptional on a drying rack is what I'm getting from qualifying.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Moto3 top3 are the same in the same order as Qatar. Good riding and dicing though.
Lorenzo attempted to spear Ianone in the first lap partly around corner one, and only took himself out.
The Marquez family is having a rough day. Ianone gets a jump start penalty.

The battle for 4th in the GP class is pretty good.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 9, 2017

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Any race where marquez eats poo poo is a good race in my book.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
toot toot, just another stop on the vinales bandwagon. slavvy, you wanna get onboard? Plenty of room.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No thanks, I'm still convinced it's gonna be a Marquez championship.

Also: lolrenzo.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

No thanks, I'm still convinced it's gonna be a Marquez championship.

Also: lolrenzo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

builds character posted:

toot toot, just another stop on the vinales bandwagon. slavvy, you wanna get onboard? Plenty of room.

All four Yamahas in the top six :psyduck:

I'm shocked Zarco has any rear tire left though.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Big wrecks in all three races. My inner American race fan was enjoying it all a bit too much :unsmigghh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Good to see Zarco and Crutchlow finish, that battle for 2nd was nice

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

harperdc posted:

All four Yamahas in the top six :psyduck:

I'm shocked Zarco has any rear tire left though.

Yeah, but the top two from honda and ducati all crashed out and suzuki's best italian (TM) got a ride through penalty doing god's work cutting off lorenzo so that's five bikes that really should be in the top six that were out. It'll be interesting to see how fast Zarco is over the course of the year because he's pretty ridiculous so far. I do think eventually Lorenzo will figure it out and get fast again too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Iannone got penalised for a jump start, Lorenzo crashing was his own dumb fault.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

Iannone got penalised for a jump start, Lorenzo crashing was his own dumb fault.

Lorenzo saw an opportunity to "pay back" Iannone for last year's spearing. Only Lorenzo doesn't have nearly the skill or precision that Iannone does and just did a really piss poor job of the whole thing.

Yes, yes I know, Lorenzo's front wasn't gripping and he was standing up the bike/widening his line and ran into the back of Iannone.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still kinda sad that they added the age limit to Moto3.

It used to be fun seeing old dudes get cut up by young 'uns in 125s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
So, who's going to the GP in Austin? I had some stuff come up and couldn't swing the tickets.

• Locked thread