Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skreemer posted:

So, who's going to the GP in Austin? I had some stuff come up and couldn't swing the tickets.

Probably Marquez, but if Vinales wins then slavvy has to get a tastefully done #25 tattoo on his bicep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Skreemer posted:

So, who's going to the GP in Austin? I had some stuff come up and couldn't swing the tickets.

I will be there. My first time at a MotoGP race even though I've been watching for like 9 years now. I'm pretty excited.

So if anyone has suggestions on Austin/COTA I'm interested in hearing them. We're sitting at turn 15.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Probably Marquez, but if Vinales wins then slavvy has to get a tastefully done #25 tattoo on his bicep.

Don't paint me wrong, i like cutie vinales as much as the next teenage girl, but i know over-hype when i see it so I'm still hoping to look shrewdly cunning by the end of the season by predicting a Marquez title this early.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I will be there. My first time at a MotoGP race even though I've been watching for like 9 years now. I'm pretty excited.

So if anyone has suggestions on Austin/COTA I'm interested in hearing them. We're sitting at turn 15.

If you're there for the weekend the seating is essentially a free for all Friday/Saturday. I'd suggest sitting in turn one for one of those days and grandstand on the other. I'd also check out turn 19.

Bring sunglasses, sunscreen and a big brim hat. You might look like a dork but the sun is brutal out there and three days of it leaves me a mess.

There's no size restrictions of water bottles as long as they're sealed. I usually bring two super tall 2L bottles.

Snacks/booze are another story. It's a gamble to get them into the venue. Last year my snacks got confiscated, but I got my flask in. All previous years, they could care less and only glanced in the main compartment of my bag.
Try to eat big before/after the event. Austin has some amazing food so if you're visiting you should def try to get as much as it in as possible.

Finally, do all your shopping Friday/Saturday. The lines get stupid on race day, although they've been getting better lately. Last year several manufacturers did bike test rides.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

DevCore posted:

If you're there for the weekend the seating is essentially a free for all Friday/Saturday. I'd suggest sitting in turn one for one of those days and grandstand on the other. I'd also check out turn 19.

Bring sunglasses, sunscreen and a big brim hat. You might look like a dork but the sun is brutal out there and three days of it leaves me a mess.

There's no size restrictions of water bottles as long as they're sealed. I usually bring two super tall 2L bottles.

Snacks/booze are another story. It's a gamble to get them into the venue. Last year my snacks got confiscated, but I got my flask in. All previous years, they could care less and only glanced in the main compartment of my bag.
Try to eat big before/after the event. Austin has some amazing food so if you're visiting you should def try to get as much as it in as possible.

Finally, do all your shopping Friday/Saturday. The lines get stupid on race day, although they've been getting better lately. Last year several manufacturers did bike test rides.

Thanks! I was planning on spending Fri/Sat cruising around the track and getting my stupid merch purchases out of the way.

The site says 20oz factory-sealed water bottles - is the size restriction new this year? It also mentions Camelbaks are allowed if they're empty, but that's only useful if there's a place to fill them inside. Are there water fountains/fill stations around the circuit?

Mostly I think we'll be spending a short enough time at the track Fri/Sat that our main meals will be in the city but race day I expect to pretty much plant my rear end at the circuit, so we'll probably just eat inside on Sunday.

e: and sun protection was already in the plans. We are pale Seattleites.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Thanks! I was planning on spending Fri/Sat cruising around the track and getting my stupid merch purchases out of the way.

The site says 20oz factory-sealed water bottles - is the size restriction new this year? It also mentions Camelbaks are allowed if they're empty, but that's only useful if there's a place to fill them inside. Are there water fountains/fill stations around the circuit?

Mostly I think we'll be spending a short enough time at the track Fri/Sat that our main meals will be in the city but race day I expect to pretty much plant my rear end at the circuit, so we'll probably just eat inside on Sunday.

e: and sun protection was already in the plans. We are pale Seattleites.

You're better off bringing a 6-pack or more of 20oz waters than relying on anything inside the park. There are stations but it's nasty water out of a giant tank and it will be busy there all of the time.

Sunscreen
Hat
Water
EarPlugs

If you want to see the riders/bikes try to sit as high as you can, otherwise you're staring through the catchfence and it's a pain in the rear end to get pictures through it.
On raceday if you want food, eat early during the Moto2 race, not everyone will have shown up yet and the lines at the concession stands won't be too long. If you try in between races, the lines will be forever.
As stated buy all the crap you want Friday/Saturday and try to bring as much water as you can on Sunday.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I miss Indy :(

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

nsaP posted:

Yeah. That was a fun race. Maybe someday, when the sheiks take over the midwest, they'll bring back F1 or MotoGP.

Although I'd love to see a WSBK race within driving distance.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

No time for race, Dr. Jones

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Also I'm watching the 2006 season and I also miss Americans in global motorcycle racing. We got PJ and I think that's it.

These races will have 3 mericans in the top for or Edwards and Hayden leading Assen

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Remind me again, everyone was injured right? Thats why it was just those two and the tragic comedy of errors that eventuated?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Rossi was hurt and Capirossi got merked in Catalunya the race before. But Pedrosa was nowhere and saying it's cause people were injured isn't fair to Hayden or Edwards. They were both front runners for a lot of the season, Edwards led in more than one race and Hayden was usually with the lead group.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

tragic comedy of errors that eventuated?

Surprisingly, not the worst thing I've heard Nicky's championship year called.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nsaP posted:

Also I'm watching the 2006 season and I also miss Americans in global motorcycle racing. We got PJ and I think that's it.

Same. I'm not usually rah-rah U-S-A in motorsports, but wouldn't it be awesome if...

Hope somebody new comes in soon.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nsaP posted:

Rossi was hurt and Capirossi got merked in Catalunya the race before. But Pedrosa was nowhere and saying it's cause people were injured isn't fair to Hayden or Edwards. They were both front runners for a lot of the season, Edwards led in more than one race and Hayden was usually with the lead group.

This post is amazing because it completely forgot about Marco Melandri.

Just liken I did until I googled the season results.

Slavvy posted:

Surprisingly, not the worst thing I've heard Nicky's championship year called.

When Pedrosa torpedoed Hayden I went out and howled at the moon. God that was hilarious.

But seriously I was/am the biggest Texas Tornado fan so that race makes me sad till this day.

Also Bayliss winning the finale was so dope.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

algebra testes posted:

This post is amazing because it completely forgot about Marco Melandri.

Speaking of Marco Melandri, he's back in the WSBK after not riding in a major racing series for an entire year:
pre:
Current WSBK championship standings

POS  Rider             Points  Manu
1   JONATHAN REA         145 KAWASAKI
2   CHAZ DAVIES          95 DUCATI
3   TOM SYKES            91 KAWASAKI
4   MARCO MELANDRI       81 DUCATI
5   ALEX LOWES           65 YAMAHA
6   MICHAEL VAN DER MARK 49 YAMAHA
7   JORDI TORRES         48 BMW
8   XAVI FORÉS           44 DUCATI
9   LEON CAMIER          38 MV AGUSTA
10  EUGENE LAVERTY       30 APRILIA
11  NICKY HAYDEN         27 HONDA
12  STEFAN BRADL         19 HONDA
13  MARKUS REITERBERGER  19 BMW
14  ROMÁN RAMOS          18 KAWASAKI
15  LEANDRO MERCADO      17 APRILIA
16  RANDY KRUMMENACHER   14 KAWASAKI
17  ALEX DE ANGELIS      13 KAWASAKI
18  LORENZO SAVADORI     10 APRILIA
19  RICCARDO RUSSO        4 YAMAHA
20  JOSHUA BROOKES        4 YAMAHA
21  JULIAN SIMON          4 APRILIA
22  ONDREJ JEZEK          3 KAWASAKI
23  AYRTON BADOVINI       2 KAWASAKI

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait isnt FORMER BSB SUPERBIKE CHAMPION Josh Brookes back in the BSB?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

harperdc posted:

Same. I'm not usually rah-rah U-S-A in motorsports, but wouldn't it be awesome if...

Hope somebody new comes in soon.

I was lucky enough to meet/talk to Kevin Schwantz a few years ago at a bar that was hosting the GP watch events here in Austin.
He mentioned he had been working with youth/amateur race leagues to try and groom potential GP candidates. So maybe in the next few years we'll see a couple younger American riders filter into the Moto3 scene.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

algebra testes posted:

Wait isnt FORMER BSB SUPERBIKE CHAMPION Josh Brookes back in the BSB?
Not only is he racing BSB too, he has more points in that series.
pre:
Pos 	No 	Rider 	Team 	Pts
1 	91 	Leon Haslam 	JG Speedfit Kawasaki 	86
2 	12 	Luke Mossey 	JG Speedfit Kawasaki 	81
3 	24 	Christian Iddon 	Tyco BMW 	65
4 	25 	Josh Brookes 	Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha 	48
5 	60 	Peter Hickman 	Smiths Racing BMW 	37
6 	2 	Glenn Irwin 	Be Wiser Ducati 	36
7 	22 	Jason O'Halloran 	Honda Racing 	32
8 	4 	Dan Linfoot 	Honda Racing 	30
9 	77 	James Ellison 	McAMS Yamaha 	21
10 	7 	Michael Laverty 	McAMS Yamaha 	21

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DevCore posted:

I was lucky enough to meet/talk to Kevin Schwantz a few years ago at a bar that was hosting the GP watch events here in Austin.
He mentioned he had been working with youth/amateur race leagues to try and groom potential GP candidates. So maybe in the next few years we'll see a couple younger American riders filter into the Moto3 scene.

The hard part of that appears to be that the European kids start so early. Wonder what the average age of Moto3 is now, there's a lot of 16-, 17- and 18-year-olds. And it seems a stretch to think many Americans would want to send their motorbike child genius to Europe that young. I think that's the key behind MotoAmerica, give them a start here that merges into the ladder.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Edwards mentioned that one of the problems he faced was that most Americans came through Superbikes, and once you get to motogp you are at tracks that these guys had been racing on for 10 years in junior classes.

If you then consider Edwards did well at either new tracks like Qatar or tracks on the WSBK calander like Assen and Donnington that makes sense.

That double wammy of starting young and just racing on these circuits is really tough.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Skreemer posted:

I'm here for it, 3rd year in a row. It's always a good time and Austin is an amazing city.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Double postin don't care, I'm pretty pumped for the Marquez, Vinales, Rossi start. Hopefully this race doesn't turn into a huge Honda lead again.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

AncientTV posted:

Double postin don't care, I'm pretty pumped for the Marquez, Vinales, Rossi start. Hopefully this race doesn't turn into a huge Honda lead again.

Did you see the practice start after qualifying? Marquez and Folger took off at the same time with Folger behind and he took the lead. I wouldn't be surprised if marquez ended until 3rd or 4th by the first turn and at least has to work for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good to see george getting back in the mix too, his race pace is poo poo but at least his great starts combined with his drag-racer bike should hopefully lead to some interesting poo poo.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/MotoGP/status/856089091837837312

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
From the viewpoint i had all three races were pretty tame. A few dust-ups here and there but mostly boring. I just got home from the track as Kuffs and his brother so graciously had extra tickets and thought to bring me along. We even sat by turn two for a while.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
COTA is a garbage track with way too many bottom gear hairpins. Even the smaller classes get all broken up and the big bikes turn into the occasional 1 on 1 dual as someone catches up but there is never any pack of riders.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
<3 Zarco, I finally have a frenchman who can race for poo poo.

Seriously though, you have to be dead inside to not find his riding style awesome. He wrings the poo poo out of that bike!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Skreemer posted:

From the viewpoint i had all three races were pretty tame. A few dust-ups here and there but mostly boring. I just got home from the track as Kuffs and his brother so graciously had extra tickets and thought to bring me along. We even sat by turn two for a while.

I was at the same turn, and agreed on the tameness.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Barnsy posted:

<3 Zarco, I finally have a frenchman who can race for poo poo.

Seriously though, you have to be dead inside to not find his riding style awesome. He wrings the poo poo out of that bike!

Agreed. I wonder which factory ride he's getting next year. I can't imagine him staying on a satellite team but if you're yamaha don't you want to keep him as long as you can because Rossi's getting old? Maybe even set up some sort of arrangement like Crutchlow has?

What'd everyone think about Rossi's penalty? I don't really get what else he's supposed to do there. Not a big deal because it didn't end up mattering, I just don't get it.

RIP Vinales perfect season. Slavvy, now's the time to buy while the bandwagon stock is low!

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I was at 19 and I got to see a couple of great scenes.

That said, I am critical of the track's design. I wish is had more sweeping high-speed turns rather than non-stop technical turns. (Think Laguna Seca)
I think they designed it with the spectator as the main focus, racing being the secondary focus.

People always flock to turn 15, but I find that section to be really boring.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

DevCore posted:

That said, I am critical of the track's design. I wish is had more sweeping high-speed turns rather than non-stop technical turns. (Think Laguna Seca)
I think they designed it with the spectator as the main focus, racing being the secondary focus.

For those screaming about the design, blame Kevin Schwantz, he's basically the reason the thing was ever even built. If you watched how bumpy it was in the turn 18/19 complex, one of the Honda F1 drivers during a meet and greet in the Honda tent apologized to Marquez and Pedrosa for the cars more or less ruining the surface.

Who Cares, Rossi is 38 and back at the top of the championship. Yes, I know it doesn't mean much as it's only the 3rd race of the season, but both of the other front runners have fallen and Rossi has proven to be a "Sunday Rider" pulling rabbits out of hats when he needs to. (look at the COTA qualifying, pulling himself to the front row on the last lap)

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 24, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skreemer posted:

For those screaming about the design, blame Kevin Schwantz, he's basically the reason the thing was ever even built. If you watched how bumpy it was in the turn 18/19 complex, one of the Honda F1 drivers during a meet and greet in the Honda tent apologized to Marquez and Pedrosa for the cars more or less ruining the surface.

Who Cares, Rossi is 38 and back at the top of the championship. Yes, I know it doesn't mean much as it's only the 3rd race of the season, but both of the other front runners have fallen and Rossi has proven to be a "Sunday Rider" pulling rabbits out of hats when he needs to. (look at the COTA qualifying, pulling himself to the front row on the last lap)

Seriously though, PEDs?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zarco :swoon:

builds character posted:

Agreed. I wonder which factory ride he's getting next year. I can't imagine him staying on a satellite team but if you're yamaha don't you want to keep him as long as you can because Rossi's getting old? Maybe even set up some sort of arrangement like Crutchlow has?

What'd everyone think about Rossi's penalty? I don't really get what else he's supposed to do there. Not a big deal because it didn't end up mattering, I just don't get it.

RIP Vinales perfect season. Slavvy, now's the time to buy while the bandwagon stock is low!

Zarco isn't going anywhere next year because he's on a two-year contract like most people. I hope and dream that when rossi throws in the towel zarco can take his seat but replacing one of the dumbledores at suzuki is a more realistic prospect.

COTA sucks balls because it's a multi-line car track and has nothing to offer bikes, it's also got way too many corners and is generally too texas in every measure.

Also if rossi is on PED's the mcguiness is a literal cyborg deliberately engineered to look like a pasty unfit englishman.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Petition to start MotoPED, you have to be at least 50 years old and any drug use is legal across the board

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DevCore posted:

Sector 1 is a ton of long corners and Sector 3 has a damned triple-apex right, they're just built more for cars than bikes as mentioned. Wide circuit plus wide runoff means the risks will be lowered (see Zarco v Rossi).

That penalty on Rossi was bullshit too, it may be to the letter of the law but ignoring that if Rossi has "kept his line" he would've been turfed by Zarco.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

builds character posted:

Seriously though, PEDs?

Nah the bike is really good and he is slower that his team mate he just hasn't fallen off.

Also a lot of great riders retire due to injuries or being sick of being injured. Foggy, Doohan, Rainey etc so for that reason the strangest thing about him is the tracks are somewhat more safer than even a few years ago so there is less risk of a horrific injury or a series of determination sapping injuries.

Its hasn't been uncommon for race drivers to doninate as late as late 30s assuming they have a good car. I think we haven't seen it due to the sheer attrition of bike racing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Rossi's penalty was because he gained .3 going off so they deducted .3 from his finished time. It was not a penalty, it was a time correction. Had nothing to do with the reason why he went off, I dunno why people don't get this. Most riders, when they leave the track, try to rejoin in the same place relative to other riders as they were in before they went off. Rossi did not because he's Rossi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

nsaP posted:

Rossi's penalty was because he gained .3 going off so they deducted .3 from his finished time. It was not a penalty, it was a time correction. Had nothing to do with the reason why he went off, I dunno why people don't get this. Most riders, when they leave the track, try to rejoin in the same place relative to other riders as they were in before they went off. Rossi did not because he's Rossi.

Seriously. I thought it was a pretty simple explanation. He got bumped off the line and had to straightline the turn, giving him a huge time advantage.

Maybe because we had the Americans announcing for this round and they explained it bad?

• Locked thread