Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006
The Moto3 race was amazing.

Also, lol at Jack Miller, he got a 1,000 Euro fine for shoving Bautista after their accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
There were a lot of elbows being thrown in Moto3.

At least Miller and Baustista kissed and made up according to the quick interview after both made it to the pits.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

drat, I missed the Moto3 race. Sounded like "A REAL CRAC-KAH!"

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
straddling the vinales-zarco bandwagons like

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'm really liking that Zarco is doing so well, I hope he gets the factory Yamaha seat when Rossi finally leaves.

Vinales is really really good, but I'm still "eh" on him since he ragequit in Moto3. That and the fact in the recent round of interviews he didn't take responsibility for being slow like Rossi did.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress vinales, when rossi finally dies of a heart attack just stick zarco on the bike and get another string of championships and/or fatality.

e: rossi took the blame for being slow but he also said he experienced a massive rear wheel vibration in the last few laps, and the way he dropped like a rock supports this. I think both of them got hosed by their teams/michelin/bike architecture because the track temp was like 20 degrees hotter in the race than the morning warm-up and the michelins seem super sensitive to minor temperature changes

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Yeah the Yamahas had a really tough time that race. I'm also on board the Zarco train, dudes fuckin nuts.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I just wanna hear a good national anthem like once (Italy or France)

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I just wanna hear a good national anthem like once (Italy or France)

Anything but the Spanish anthem!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Zarco owns.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I just want to see more backflips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V73PcaxQgUQ

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Twitter reports coming that John Mc🍺 broke his leg at the NW200. That opens up a few TT podium spots but not good for his goal to tie Joey's wins

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guy Martin dusts off his old bridesmaid's dress.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hello thread, I haven't followed MotoGP in a number of years (probably since the Honda / Stoner domination), and I'm curious what has happened that is making the bikes and teams having more parity. I vaguely recall there are some spec parts (ECU?), but I've watched the races this season and they've been exciting and the competition is way closer than I remember from years back.

Also, completely random thought, I laughed at the Jerez race when they were talking about Pedrosa's riding coach (Sete Gibernau - A name I remember from watching many years ago). He is a BAD DUDE and he has a rider coach. Like, what the hell are they going to tell you? "God drat you're fast, dude" or "Yep, you lapped way faster than I would have, otherwise I'd still be racing". Clearly I'm exaggerating a bit, I just thought it was funny.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They have to use a spec ECU with an emphasis on rider aids as a safety measure instead of a tyre conservation tool which has really dented the factory teams' advantage. That's part of it, the other part is the massively inconsistent tyres giving advantage to some bikes/riding styles over others at any given track.

All the big names, Rossi included, have rider coaches because it's useful having another rider's input on what they're seeing you do on track vs everyone else. That helps them spot stuff that the engineers miss/aren't aware of.

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Hello thread, I haven't followed MotoGP in a number of years (probably since the Honda / Stoner domination), and I'm curious what has happened that is making the bikes and teams having more parity. I vaguely recall there are some spec parts (ECU?), but I've watched the races this season and they've been exciting and the competition is way closer than I remember from years back.

Also, completely random thought, I laughed at the Jerez race when they were talking about Pedrosa's riding coach (Sete Gibernau - A name I remember from watching many years ago). He is a BAD DUDE and he has a rider coach. Like, what the hell are they going to tell you? "God drat you're fast, dude" or "Yep, you lapped way faster than I would have, otherwise I'd still be racing". Clearly I'm exaggerating a bit, I just thought it was funny.

I agree with you about Sete Gibernau. The dude spent more time shaking his head at his tyres when he ran wide than actually trying to win races. Rossi cursed him and it worked lol!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can't hate Sete because that year with him and Rossi was one of the best in memory.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
In addition to the spec ECU, this is also the second year of a new tire supplier. Adaptation to both of those things levels the playing field a lot. Last year there were nine different race winners. This year, we've already had three, but I don't think we'll see nine again.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Onboard zarco with 360 vision. Requires having an account but not paying.
http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2017/05/07/360-onboard-motogp-race-start-with-zarco/227451

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hayden's in hospital in Italy after he got hit by a car while cycling/training, shittttt no word on his exact condition yet.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2017/05/17/hayden-in-hospital-following-cycling-incident-in-italy/228157

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Wirth1000 posted:

Hayden's in hospital in Italy after he got hit by a car while cycling/training, shittttt no word on his exact condition yet.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2017/05/17/hayden-in-hospital-following-cycling-incident-in-italy/228157

That's too bad. Hopefully he's ok.

Unrelated, motojournal + zarco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcIQ1hfVrCs

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Wirth1000 posted:

uh oh ive bicycled 16 miles in 2 days, i better watch my back

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Severe head and chest trauma. Honda WSBK team saying "the medical teams are working hard". Sounds like he wasn't wearing a helmet or that car was going at some significant speed. There's a picture of the car with the windshield just completely smashed to poo poo along with the roof of the car bent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Car was hauling rear end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The worst thing about this is that he lost a wheel balance weight and dropped like a rock in what may be the final race of his career. So Nicky Hayden it hurts.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
http://www.riminitoday.it/cronaca/incidente-stradale/tremendo-schianto-nicky-hayden-bici-pilota-di-superbike-coinvolto-nell-incidente.html

The photos are worrying :ohdear:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

EX250 Type R posted:

uh oh ive bicycled 16 miles in 2 days, i better watch my back
Pushbikes: Satan's death machines

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Induced coma for Hayden I read somewhere, never good.

Hopefully he comes out of it ok, although who knows what lasting damage he'll have even if he does get out.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wirth1000 posted:

Severe head and chest trauma. Honda WSBK team saying "the medical teams are working hard". Sounds like he wasn't wearing a helmet or that car was going at some significant speed. There's a picture of the car with the windshield just completely smashed to poo poo along with the roof of the car bent.

These guys don't go out casually, surely he was wearing a helmet. Helmets don't stop TBI, ask Schumacher.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Shimrod posted:

Induced coma for Hayden I read somewhere, never good.

Hopefully he comes out of it ok, although who knows what lasting damage he'll have even if he does get out.

Standard procedure for brain trauma. But, yeah, hopefully he's not Schumacher'ed.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Yeah, induced coma usually just means, "trauma is really bad, so we don't want the patient trying to regain consciousness until we get everything tied back together." It's bad, but not necessarily Schumacher bad.

That said, I'm gutted as gently caress right now. Nicky's been one of my favorites since watching Mark Neale's documentaries, which is what got me into MotoGP in the first place.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

It's bad, but not necessarily Schumacher bad.

Unfortunately, it sounds really bad like maybe even worse than Schumacher bad. The hospital released a statement this morning saying he's suffered severe brain damage and he's still in the ICU with an unknown prognosis. He has a cerebral edema which they can't even operate on because his vitals are so unstable/lovely that a surgery might just end up killing him outright. Severe fracture throughout his body and they're referring to it as a polytrauma case. It's really, really bad and really, really lovely. I never watched him race in WSBK but in MotoGP you could just tell how nice of a guy he was and everyone seemed to like him (unless your name was Pedrosa).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hooooly gently caress :(

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wirth1000 posted:

He has a cerebral edema which they can't even operate on

gently caress.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I'm aware of why they use induced comas, work in healthcare.

This isn't looking like it's going to end well :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

News coming from Italy is that he's brain dead.

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006
I really hope he has some sort of a miraculous recovery. He is such a good bloke.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Shimrod posted:

News coming from Italy is that he's brain dead.

source?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Boris Mihailovic, not sure if it's been confirmed yet or not he is baseing it on news coming from the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Lace Up Your Shoes, Boys
Originally published 2013
Dean Adams
Thursday, May 18, 2017
When the Hayden boys, Tom, Nicky and Roger Lee, talk to one another, it’s almost like they speak in a special Hayden clan code. And unless you’re a close friend of the family you’re never going to know any of the code phrases or what they mean. It’s not a secret society or anything. Those three have been racing and riding together for over twenty years now and after a while I suppose they just stopped finishing each other’s sentences because they could convey their thoughts with just a few words and a look.

I only know two of the phrases, or think I do anyway. The first one is when discussing another rider, one of the boys will look at his brother and say, “Yeah, I don’t think his dad beat him very much.”

The first few times you hear one of them say that, you sort of stumble away thinking, pretty good kids those Haydens, on top of being fast, they’re also advocates for stopping harmful child abuse. They, you think, must have compiled a short mental list of riders whose dads physically abused their sons and which fathers used modern strategies–—reasoning with teenagers—–successfully.

It’s not until much later—–if ever–—that you hear the rest of that phrase. I think the full phrase is, and it’s usually said on the dirt track grid, “Yeah, I don’t think his dad beat him very much. But I think he’s gonna get beat right now.”

Not many remember it today, but in 2002–—the same season that he won the AMA Superbike title on an RC51–—Nick Hayden also raced almost the entire season of dirt track. At that time it was pretty clear that Nick’s opportunities to race dirt track in the future would be limited–—he’d be in MotoGP or WSBK soon so logistically it was just not going to work to, say, come back from Motegi and race the Peoria TT, no matter how badly he wanted to. So, Nick raced dirt track all over the US that season and won a great number of races for a guy whose real goal that year was to win the Daytona 200 and the Superbike title.

Roadracer Nick was transitioning to being a “former dirt tracker.” It was not easy for him. Hayden won the Peoria TT, beating Chris Carr—–who was then known as the Prince of Peoria—–and also won numerous Grand National events at Springfield.

However, the race that might be the most relevant after the last lap at Indy, and the one attached to the other Hayden-only phrase I’ve heard, happened in a grungy little bowl in Tunica, Mississippi the weekend after Hayden signed his deal to race for the factory MotoGP team in 2002.

edit this was an obnoxiously long text dump, so I edited but I think it's worth a read about young Nicky.

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/lace-shoes-boys/

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 19, 2017

• Locked thread