Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think the realistic prediction is that MM will head into the race with the attitude that he just needs to finish as close to Dovi as possible, even behind.

That will all fly out the window as soon as the lights go out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
The MM save in FP4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0zJrk5ZnQ

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Yeah that wasn't abiding to newtonian physics.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
saying he defies physics is dusty af

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

His knee slider got twisted around and somehow he still has a functioning leg, that's more physics defying than his save.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Cmon Jorge, let me drink those Rossi Fanboi tears

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love how a tight championship makes mediocre races feel super suspenseful.

Rossi needs to retire and start a satellite team so Zarco can get a factory bike.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Zarco's had a hell of a year, nice to see him on the podium again.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I know no one follows Moto2, but KTM got the second double podium in a row. Olivera is riding like he's on fire, and Binder has to fight to keep up, but he's at the sharp end now that he's healthy.
Thomas Luthi broke his ankle and couldn't race, "gifting" the championship to Franco Morbidelli.
With the resurgence of KTM, Olivera pushed Alex Marquez out of third place for the championship. Oliver and Alex were separated by only one point. With Olivera winning, and Alex crashing twice in the race, that cements the top 4 places for the series.

10 riders in Moto2 went down and 4 of them didn't even finish the first lap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KTM's rapid ownage of moto2 is substantially more impressive than their charge into the top ten in GP. They are literally running a rookie outfit with an untested bike and two class rookies aboard, one of whom effectively lost half a season to recurring horrible injury, and they're somehow locking out the podium.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

KTM's rapid ownage of moto2 is substantially more impressive than their charge into the top ten in GP. They are literally running a rookie outfit with an untested bike and two class rookies aboard, one of whom effectively lost half a season to recurring horrible injury, and they're somehow locking out the podium.

No it's not.

Moto2 requires essentially no motor tech aside from some very minor tuning you're allowed to do. They are a full factory racing against what are essentially boutique moto2 specific chassis makers that are in it to make money instead of advertise their brand.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So what? Those boutique chassis makers have had many years to carefully extract every tiny advantage they can and as a result the kalex bikes at least have reached sufficient refinement that the fastest M2 riders are nipping at the times the slowest gp bikes can set at tracks where horsepower isn't too important. The nature of single-engine series like that is that minute gains in aerodynamics, weight etc are very impactful. Just throwing money at the problem works eventually but leapfrogging years of carefully hoarded knowledge is really bloody hard regardless of how rich you are.

They're doing exactly the same thing in GP but they've yet to consistently outperform the better satellite outfits despite having the huge advantages a factory effort confers. Still impressive, but not dry podiums in the first year impressive.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Final round of WSBK, Rea does the double and beat the 2002 record held by Colin Edwards for most points in one season. Davies pulls second and with Sykes out of race 2, Davies takes second overall in the championship. Sykes 3rd, Melandri 4th, Loewes 5th, VanderMark 6th

Huge save from Davies in race 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-6bQTqNxI

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 4, 2017

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Last race of the year for MotoGP. Any bets on who'll win? (Go Dovi.)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
We'll all know by the end of first practice. If that Ducati is not hooked up for Valencia then congrats Marquez.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's Marquez' to lose but it has happened before in Valencia.

RIP

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Are there any prop bets on Dovi winning because Marquez pushes too hard and crashes out?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll optimistically bet my pride and say that if dovi finds himself in the lead and Marquez gets tangled up with Zarco or something it could happen.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Odds are less now than with the briggstones (sorry this reference is now very very out of date). When you backed off with those tires you could lose the heat in the front tire and crash - it definitely happened.

The only way Marquez does't bring this home is if someone hits him and takes him out - or another mechanical DNF.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That still happens with michelin, it's just the rain tyres :v:

Or he chokes with the title in the bag like how rossi, a far less prolific crasher, did that one time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Or he chokes with the title in the bag like how rossi, a far less prolific crasher, did that one time.

Man that was an amazing / strange season. Dovi taking out Hayden the race before, and then Rossi crashing out on a low speed turn.
Also, Troy :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's pedrosa that took hayden out.

Also bayliss is the loving man and not moving to GP earlier in his career is a bloody tragedy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yeah, derp, you knew what I meant.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Wirth1000 posted:

We'll all know by the end of first practice. If that Ducati is not hooked up for Valencia then congrats Marquez.

FP2 has it this way:
1 99 Jorge LORENZO
2 26 Dani PEDROSA
3 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO
4 5 Johann ZARCO
5 93 Marc MARQUEZ
6 43 Jack MILLER
7 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW
8 51 Michele PIRRO
9 46 Valentino ROSSI
10 44 Pol ESPARGARO
11 25 Maverick VIÑALES

We'll see how things go in FP3 and Qualifying.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Congratulations 2017 MotoGP World Champin Andrea Dovizioso.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Champion of my heart if nothing else :swoon:

Mancrush on maverick vinales is over, dovi is my crush now.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
In sad news, Julian Ryder is quitting his role as commentator for BTsport. When I first started watching MotoGP it was with Eurosport's coverage with Ryder, Moody, and Mamola, so Ryder's voice has been part of my summers since 2008. It finally seemed like Ryder and Huewen had really started to sync, too, though I haven't watched as attentively this year. I like the rest of BTsports coverage team so hopefully they can just move an existing person up to the box.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well, nothing like making it really tough on yourself, here's the starting grid:

1 93 Marc MARQUEZ
2 5 Johann ZARCO
3 29 Andrea IANNONE
4 99 Jorge LORENZO
5 26 Dani PEDROSA
6 51 Michele PIRRO
7 46 Valentino ROSSI
8 41 Aleix ESPARGARO
9 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO
10 42 Alex RINS
11 44 Pol ESPARGARO
12 43 Jack MILLER

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Congratulations to 2017 MotoGP World Champion Marc Marquez

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Two of his wins have come from the third row so it isn't the end of the world, the lack of race pace is what will really gently caress him though so

Wirth1000 posted:

Congratulations to 2017 MotoGP World Champion Marc Marquez

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

In sad news, Julian Ryder is quitting his role as commentator for BTsport. When I first started watching MotoGP it was with Eurosport's coverage with Ryder, Moody, and Mamola, so Ryder's voice has been part of my summers since 2008. It finally seemed like Ryder and Huewen had really started to sync, too, though I haven't watched as attentively this year. I like the rest of BTsports coverage team so hopefully they can just move an existing person up to the box.

This is the worst news since BT Sport dropped Moody, and there's been some pretty lovely things happen since then.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Toby and Julien was basically the best commentary team that transcended all sport they were perfect

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
how lucky??

how skilled??

edit: rip

also lol Jorge lmao

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Holy gently caress.
Everyone pushing like crazy, go Zarco and drat Jorge is going to get a bit of a talking to.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
If KTM can keep it together over the winter, they'll be a favorite for next year. Olivera wins, Binder in third. Moto2, look out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I was spoiled on the championship result which, yeah, no real surprise. But that race :stare: holy gently caress how dramatic was that. And that’s before Marquez tested the laws of physics.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
In his own words, "Marquez style to the end". What a season.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gently caress, what a race. Amazed when both Ducatis went down after another. Way to go Zarco!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was a bizarre race. The grip limit on the front tyre was so low it seemed that everyone who got to grips with the tyres ended up having identical lap times and everyone who tried to exceed that crashed (marquez' incident effectively being a crash he brought back). They also went substantially slower than last year. Maybe the track got really bleached during the off-season or something? Weird stuff anyway.

Rins is gonna be a force next year I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
So, how many more titles is Marquez going to win?

• Locked thread