Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Absolutely, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

gently caress. I haven't followed bike racing since right around the time Nicky won MotoGP, but a buddy just broke the news. Poor dude didn't deserve to go out like that. RIP Nicky.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Wirth1000 posted:

MotoGP put up a tribute to Nicky. It's really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPF9vQKQ9F4

This is good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Julian Ryder's column

quote:

The abiding image I have of Nicky Hayden is set in the press room of the Valencia circuit. It’s a big room and it was packed as Nicky came in and sat down after becoming world champion. You remember the pictures; the flag, the tears. He looked up, just about in control of his emotions and was greeted with the longest sustained round of applause I have heard. No whooping or hollering, just a profound expression of admiration from the people who’d watched him struggle against the odds to a championship that will look better and better as history and time put it in perspective. To win on what was a development bike, different from every other Honda, with rookie crew chief Pete Benson against Valentino Rossi was a great, great achievement. I know this because Valentino Rossi said so, I know this because Kenny Roberts said so.

Nicky was unfailingly polite and professional no matter what, he was to us Europeans a fine example of what we took to be the best expression of true American values, and believe me we need reminding of them right now. I only saw him angry twice. One was obviously in the gravel trap at Estoril, the other was outside the press office at Assen. An over-officious security guard had tried to stop his mum going in to the press conference and had pushed her. I strolled up to find a red-faced Nicky wagging a finger in the face of a man about a foot taller and wider than him, yelling “Where I come from, you don’t put your hands on a woman.” Only the early and calming intervention of the circuit’s well-respected press officer stopped things escalating. As for Portugal, Nicky let it be known afterwards that Dani could make things right by helping him at Valencia. Dani did his duty, Nicky said “I am a man of my word” and to my knowledge let the whole thing go. That is a measure of the man, not just a great racer but the only universally respected, and loved, man to have lit up the Grand Prix paddock.

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/ryder-notes-images-nick/

:qq:

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Having just lost my father a few years back to a collision with a car while he was on a motorcycle, I can very easily imagine the hospital room they Hayden's have just spent the last few agonizing days in. Even though I've never met the guy, I feel like I've known Nicky Hayden since I started watching him race in '06. A terrible, terrible loss all around. Rossi put it well when he described Hayden as a great racer, but an even better human being.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My work computer needed a re-image last week, and I've been waiting a few days to figure out what to put as my desktop background. Just restored my images folder, and this was near the top:

That'll work. Wish I had it in higher res, but I can't even find the original on Motomatters anymore. Maybe I'll bug Scott Jones for one after things have calmed down.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Honda changed the motorcycle top page as well:
http://powersports.honda.com/

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Not sure if you guys saw but Vale in hospital with mild trauma to his chest and abdominal area from a motocross crash while training. Mugello in question now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That would seriously put a damper on that crowd

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No doubt, a few years back when Bautista took him out the place emptied mid race.

There was a time, after he broke his leg, where he talked about less offroad riding cause of the effect it could have on his racing. I guess the ranch ended that, it wasn't even 'off season training' anymore.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

This wasn't at the ranch, that's dirt track, he was at a motocross facility a bit from his place.

From what they said he'll be back for Mugello but might still be a bit sore. I don't think there were any serious injuries, they just want to keep him in for observation just incase they missed something/something develops. Fairly common for traumas, keep overnight for obs then send them home in the morning. Better safe than sorry.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Yamaha MotoGP rider Valentino Rossi could be discharged from hospital on Friday, after “making positive progress” from injuries sustained in a motocross accident.

Rossi suffered "mild" chest and abdominal trauma in an incident while training at the Cross Club Cavallara in Italy on Thursday.

He spent the evening at the local Ospedale Infermi in Rimini and an update issued by Yamaha on Friday morning said the 38-year-old had suffered no further complications and “experienced a positive healing process” overnight.

“Valentino told [doctors] that he is experiencing less pain both in the chest and in the abdomen, compared to last night,” the statement read.

“The pain is the result of slight liver and kidney lesions that have not evolved into further complications.

“Valentino will continue to receive pain relief over the next 12 hours and, over the course of the day, he will undergo routine diagnostic tests.

“If the results are positive, he may be discharged from the hospital within the day.”

Rossi is third in the MotoGP championship after five rounds, with a call on his fitness for next weekend’s Italian Grand Prix at Mugello yet to be made.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/rossi-making-positive-progress-after-motocross-crash-910577/

Well, that's good but 'kidney and liver lesions' doesn't sound very enticing, blegh.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Anyone know a good place to get Hayden stickers? They listed a couple official merch sites but I didn't see stickers on either.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

nsaP posted:

Anyone know a good place to get Hayden stickers? They listed a couple official merch sites but I didn't see stickers on either.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=hayden+69+sticker&_sacat=0 ???

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was hoping there was some official place but thanks for the link. Ebay eh? Never heard of it.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

nsaP posted:

You can at least sign up to be notified if they come back in stock.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nsaP posted:

https://www.gpracingapparels.com/en/motogp/nicky-hayden/ Has them. That's linked from https://nickyhayden.com/sponsors

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Cool didn't see that. I checked this site and their official one earlier and all the stuff there was out of stock.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
WorldSBK Race weekend
Race 1
Sykes
Haslam
Lowes

Chaz Davies fell and rejoined getting 8th. Rea had a high speed crash when the rear of the bike came around and flicked him off. He uncharacteristically shagged out the rear tire pushing hard most of the race to stay out front, first chasing Chaz, then to keep ahead of Sykes.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
WSBK race2

Rea
Sykes
Davies
Lowes

Rea streaked away and never looked back, Sykes had to fight through the field but didn't really get close. Davies got into another incident, this time not his fault but ended up dropping through the field and have to ride out of his skin to get up to third.

WSSP

SOFUOGLU
MAHIAS
CLUZEL
STAPLEFORD
KENNEDY

There was a good battle between Mahias/Cluzel and Stapleford/Kennedy. No one was even close to Sofuoglu through, when he's on the bike, no one seems to be able to catch him.

SSP300
The top 3 had a really good race. Lots of place swapping and were a step above. The rest unfortunately didn't do so well, there were a lot of retirements to mechanical failure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Race 2 was loving carnage a dude even pitted and restarted for points.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's Isle of Man time, boys

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

BlackMK4 posted:

It's Isle of Man time, boys

:woop:

Is there anyway to watch these races?
IoM is probably my favorite race in terms of sheer insanity but I've never actually watched a race, only best-of clips from the post season.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
ITV does nightly recap coverage if you can find it in whichever way you like to find things.

https://www.itv.com/hub/isle-of-man-tt/36468

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
It's also available on the radio at http://ttlive.iomtt.com/

The ITV coverage is rebroadcast around various countries, just none of them all that soon.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Vinales - Zarco supremacy.

Seriously. What a loving race.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Starting Grid for Mugello:

Vinales
Rossi
Dovisioso

Pirro (WTF?)
Pedrosa
Marquez

Lorenzo
Bautista
Petrucci

Rabat
Zarco
Espargaro A.

Crutchlow
Barberra
Folger

Iannone
Baz
Espargaro P.

Miller
Redding
Abraham

Lowes
Smith
Guintoli

Poor Lorenzo has Michele Pirro AND Dovizioso ahead of him on the starting grid. I know Lorenzo went top for at least a minute or two of FP3. He seems to be able to get to a point on the Ducati, but just cannot breakout and get the few extra tenths needed to get near the front of the grid.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 3, 2017

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Skreemer posted:

Starting Grid for Mugello:

Vinales
Rossi
Dovisioso

Pirro (WTF?)
Pedrosa
Marquez

Lorenzo
Bautista
Petrucci

Rabat
Zarco
Espargaro A.

Crutchlow
Barberra
Folger

Iannone
Baz
Espargaro P.

Miller
Redding
Abraham

Lowes
Smith
Guintoli

Poor Lorenzo has Michele Pirro AND Dovizioso ahead of him on the starting grid. I know Lorenzo went top for at least a minute or two of FP3. He seems to be able to get to a point on the Ducati, but just cannot breakout and get the few extra tenths needed to get near the front of the grid.

Pirros the Ducati test rider they keep on to have a guy that can do motogp pace and he gets to ride a couple races a year on a factory bike instead of being on a crap privateer team. Ducati tests at mugello all the time so he's got all kinds of laps in there, he should be able to put in a time.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The man is carrying injuries that any one else would still be bed ridden by, is almost 40 and still manages 2nd?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's massively playing up his injuries.

Disappointed from zarco, his q1 was great so don't know wtf happened.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Zarco had no spare tyres for q2

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Triumph announced as the engine supplier for Moto2 in 2019. Out is the Honda 600 CBR RR motor breathed upon by Moriwaki then doled out to the teams. The new motor is going to be the 765 triple from Triumph.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2017/06/03/triumph-announced-as-moto2-engine-supplier-from-2019/230116

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
MotoGP rules, this just in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

MotoGP rules, this just in.

it's not news, but it remains very true.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
If you want to watch one Moto3 race all year, watch this one.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Skreemer posted:

If you want to watch one Moto3 race all year, watch this one all of them.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

While I agree with your sentiment, some folks really eschew watching the lower classes when it comes to racing. Which is weird to me, because generally if you want close and unpredictable races, the up and comers is where it's at.

Holy poo poo did Mattia Pasini ride like a madman. Where he was making moves on both Marquez and Luthi was just amazing, the set up on the last lap to go from 3rd to 1st was just drat amazing.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 4, 2017

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hard earned win for Dovi there, hell of a race at the front.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

If you want to watch one Moto3 race all year, watch this one.

:stare: First one of the season I've seen, and you wanna talk about entertainment? That was it, start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Not zarco-Vinales, but still

• Locked thread