Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Heartening to see Dani caught up so close to the top. Here's hoping that stays, I'd love to see him reliably in the top 5 again. And Lorenzo seems off to a pretty fast start on the Ducati.

I'll be at COTA this year for my first-ever MotoGP race. I'll be at turn 15. I have almost no idea what to expect with regards to seeing this sort of thing in person.

e: also I'm really glad to see Jonas Folger in MotoGP. I know he's never been a reliably top performer, but not long after I got into motorcycle racing - so '08 or '09 or so - I remember him starting the race at or near dead last and fighting up to top 3 or 5 before crashing out. It was impressive. I have no idea what race that was, or indeed whether or not it was him or somebody else, but whether on false premises or not it made me a Folger fan. I hope he has some good showings.

Has anyone ever moved into GP having not been a top performer in the lower classes and been a race winner? Or a more-than-a-fluke podium finisher?

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Nice to see the two rookies on Tech3 already in the top 10ish.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

I can't decide whether aprilia or KTM will be the first ones to pack their poo poo up and go home when they keep spending squillions only to barely make the top ten for the next few years. They'll be the new growth trying to reach the sun through the branches of the hundred year oaks already in the class.

Suzuki were smart/lucky and got in early enough (in terms of the new 'fairer' rules) that they had no real low-level competition so now they have the chance to attract decent riders and justify a bigger budget to their parent company.

Gut tells me aprilia's half-assery will get them out quickest.

Long term IMO there'll be another team exodus and drastic fall in grid numbers because with the top ten populated mostly by factory teams, the satellites will get no recognition unless they adopt some sort of best-of-the-rest trophy or something.

I'd put my money on Aprilia bailing first. KTM's been good in Moto3 and (from what I know, I don't follow it) very successful in off-road disciplines. Hell, they even race cars now. But, mostly, they have RedBull money. RedBull seems okay with both spending money on frivolous but exciting ventures (ice skate cross racing?) but also gets the ups-and-downs of racing (F1).

I know Aprilia has had good results in WSBK in the last few years but I just don't get the sense that Piaggio has much taste for racing. Or spending money. I mean, this is historic, but Piaggio bailed out of the US scooter market pretty much as soon as the Japanese started selling scooters in the '80s rather than develop and sell something other than the '70s-era, '40s-derived scooters they were selling at the time. These days, I bet Piaggio sees the vast majority of their money from high-volume/low-margin scooters, whereas motorcycles - mostly prestige motorcycles - are the bread-and-butter for KTM's brand.

So KTM has a bigger, better, and more successful racing program, a brand-wide sponsor from the same country with deep pockets and a willingness to spend, and more marketing reliance on having winning motorcycles. I expect KTM to be around for a while, even if they're not successful for a few seasons.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
On a timely note, apparently Stefan Pierer of KTM is both not a fan of Honda and willing to throw some shade.

MotoMatters, as ever: https://motomatters.com/analysis/2017/02/22/our_most_hated_rival_ktm_s_long_feud.html

quote:

He boasted of KTM passing BMW in terms of sales, adding that beating them in racing would be hard, "because they don't race any more". He spoke of competing against the Japanese manufacturers. "We love racing, and we love beating the Japanese manufacturers."

But Pierer reserved his sharpest ire for Honda. Speaking of the surprise decision to compete in Moto2, he joked that the spec Moto2 engine was supplied by "our most hated rival Honda".

Good little history lessen there, too. In addition to some fierce on-track competition between KTM and Honda in the smaller classes, apparently there's some backroom drama, too.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Skreemer posted:

So, who's going to the GP in Austin? I had some stuff come up and couldn't swing the tickets.

I will be there. My first time at a MotoGP race even though I've been watching for like 9 years now. I'm pretty excited.

So if anyone has suggestions on Austin/COTA I'm interested in hearing them. We're sitting at turn 15.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

DevCore posted:

If you're there for the weekend the seating is essentially a free for all Friday/Saturday. I'd suggest sitting in turn one for one of those days and grandstand on the other. I'd also check out turn 19.

Bring sunglasses, sunscreen and a big brim hat. You might look like a dork but the sun is brutal out there and three days of it leaves me a mess.

There's no size restrictions of water bottles as long as they're sealed. I usually bring two super tall 2L bottles.

Snacks/booze are another story. It's a gamble to get them into the venue. Last year my snacks got confiscated, but I got my flask in. All previous years, they could care less and only glanced in the main compartment of my bag.
Try to eat big before/after the event. Austin has some amazing food so if you're visiting you should def try to get as much as it in as possible.

Finally, do all your shopping Friday/Saturday. The lines get stupid on race day, although they've been getting better lately. Last year several manufacturers did bike test rides.

Thanks! I was planning on spending Fri/Sat cruising around the track and getting my stupid merch purchases out of the way.

The site says 20oz factory-sealed water bottles - is the size restriction new this year? It also mentions Camelbaks are allowed if they're empty, but that's only useful if there's a place to fill them inside. Are there water fountains/fill stations around the circuit?

Mostly I think we'll be spending a short enough time at the track Fri/Sat that our main meals will be in the city but race day I expect to pretty much plant my rear end at the circuit, so we'll probably just eat inside on Sunday.

e: and sun protection was already in the plans. We are pale Seattleites.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

n8r posted:

Gorge is getting faster nearly every race and GiGi knows how to design bikes that Jorge likes. He'll get there.

Yeah honestly I've been pretty impressed with how Jorge has done this year. He's spent a lot more time in the lead than I expected, even if he hasn't turned it into wins. The progress is happening. And he can fight when he's got the bike for it. He'll get a win in '18 even if he's not a championship contender.

Buhbuhj posted:

Marc is also loving this poo poo. Every race where 1st has been contested he is glowing during the interviews.

I love when you see them really having fun. When Marc and Rossi were scrapping in Marc's first season or two in GP was some of the best.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
In sad news, Julian Ryder is quitting his role as commentator for BTsport. When I first started watching MotoGP it was with Eurosport's coverage with Ryder, Moody, and Mamola, so Ryder's voice has been part of my summers since 2008. It finally seemed like Ryder and Huewen had really started to sync, too, though I haven't watched as attentively this year. I like the rest of BTsports coverage team so hopefully they can just move an existing person up to the box.

• Locked thread