Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't know why I hadn't noticed this thread!

Skreemer posted:

Congrats on the seats, bring a hat, sunscreen, and ear plugs.

In the "Modern Era" there hasn't been anyone that's not been a consistent top 5 that has done really well in the MotoGP class. Plenty of others the have gone the other direction to age, or injury (I still lament the career that Ben Spies could have had.) Heck even being a top performer at the Moto3 level doesn't guarantee performance at Moto2, case in point Alex Marquez, a Moto3 Champion.

Ben Spies had like the perfect vortex of everything going wrong. George for a teammate, check. Testing parts on what seemed to be the least reliable yamaha ever, check. Horrible injuries, check. Being american in the post-rossi era, check.

Also Danny Kent going to moto2 was...pretty underwhelming.

I think part of the problem (which dorna are taking steps to remedy) is the electronics on moto2 bikes are extremely crude. This plus the totally different handling dynamics to GP mean that most of the rookies aren't adequately prepared for the bigger bikes and it's a crapshoot as to who will turn out to mesh with the GP bikes and who won't. It also helps to land on something other than a honda, see: Rabat. Hopefully the triumph bikes bring them closer into line with GP. But then they'll complain that moto3's tiptoing corner speed style is too far divorced from the power and crazyness of the two bigger classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Day 2 of testing in Australia:

pre:
Pos Rider              Team                        Fastest lap Lead.  Laps
1   VIŅALES, Maverick  Movistar Yamaha MotoGP      1:28.847           21 / 80 	
2   MARQUEZ, Marc      Repsol Honda Team           1:29.309    0.462  20 / 107 	
3   CRUTCHLOW, Cal     LCR Honda                   1:29.325    0.478  28 / 80 	
4   BAUTISTA, Alvaro   Pull&Bear Aspar Team        1:29.411    0.564  42 / 86 	
5   DOVIZIOSO, Andrea  Ducati Team                 1:29.483    0.636  32 / 55 	
6   ESPARGARO, Aleix   Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1:29.501    0.654  18 / 69 	
7   FOLGER, Jonas      Monster Yamaha Tech 3       1:29.664    0.817  29 / 65 	
8   ROSSI, Valentino   Movistar Yamaha MotoGP      1:29.674    0.827  18 / 70 	
9   RINS, Alex         Team SUZUKI ECSTAR          1:29.802    0.955  68 / 80 	
10  MILLER, Jack       Team EG 0,0 Marc VDS        1:29.838    0.991  36 / 83 	
11  ZARCO, Johann      Monster Yamaha Tech 3       1:29.880    1.033  84 / 88 	
12  IANNONE, Andrea    Team SUZUKI ECSTAR          1:29.947    1.100  19 / 72 	
13  ABRAHAM, Karel     Pull&Bear Aspar Team        1:30.142    1.295  20 / 73 	
14  PETRUCCI, Danilo   Octo Pramac Racing          1:30.150    1.303  64 / 65 	
15  LORENZO, Jorge     Ducati Team                 1:30.197    1.350  32 / 64 	
16  PEDROSA, Dani      Repsol Honda Team           1:30.245    1.398  38 / 40 	
17  BARBERA, Hector    Reale Esponsorama Racing    1:30.352    1.505  18 / 62 	
18  REDDING, Scott     Octo Pramac Racing          1:30.435    1.588  83 / 90 	
19  ESPARGARO, Pol     Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 1:30.645    1.798  24 / 59 	
20  BAZ, Loris         Reale Esponsorama Racing    1:30.852    2.005  34 / 53 	
21  LOWES, Sam         Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1:30.895    2.048  34 / 64 	
22  SMITH, Bradley     Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 1:31.704    2.857  35 / 81 	

Not pictured: Marquez' untouchable race pace. He's gonna win again, George and maverick will fizzle and Rossi will continue his slide to retirement.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

93 is the new 46

25 is the new 99

But 46 and 99 are still here and it feels weird. IRL eras don't just switch over from one to another like they do in the history books it turns out. This is like the time people started wearing girl pants and painting their hair purple but goths were still there on the scene looking awkward.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't decide whether aprilia or KTM will be the first ones to pack their poo poo up and go home when they keep spending squillions only to barely make the top ten for the next few years. They'll be the new growth trying to reach the sun through the branches of the hundred year oaks already in the class.

Suzuki were smart/lucky and got in early enough (in terms of the new 'fairer' rules) that they had no real low-level competition so now they have the chance to attract decent riders and justify a bigger budget to their parent company.

Gut tells me aprilia's half-assery will get them out quickest.

Long term IMO there'll be another team exodus and drastic fall in grid numbers because with the top ten populated mostly by factory teams, the satellites will get no recognition unless they adopt some sort of best-of-the-rest trophy or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I agree with pretty much everything. Priller like to brag about how racing is in their DNA etc but they only really seem to like going racing when it's either cheap or they have an uncontested advantage which lets them win easily without spending a shitload of money. Every time in the past that they've encountered difficulty they've just packed it in; I don't see why this time will be any different. They pulled out of sbk to 'focus exclusively on motogp' (actually in a whinge about the rule changes taking away their bike's genetic advantages), rallied piaggio's enormous resources to get together six dudes (maybe nine? I can't remember but it's literally single digits) to do it with and are now wholly dedicated to the factory effort (actually gresini doing all the gruntwork and some guy from aprilia just screaming at them over the phone).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So how the gently caress does the new grid setup work if you dnf? Previously melandri would've started from the front row again and have a chance to make amends. Now what? Does he start from last?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Right. So rae wins the race and his reward is starting in ninth. Melandri DNF's and his reward is starting immediately behind rae.

I understand what they're trying to do, this is just a loving retarded way of doing it that nobody really thought through. I thought dorna were spanish, not italian.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:agreed: but chaz can chaz all over the Kawasaki without having bullshit grid structure to help him.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Davies never goes well at phillip island and sentul is a paperclip track where lots of straights are joined by slow corners and this plays very much to the strengths of the kawasaki, namely straight line power and braking stability. I'm still picking the chazzmaster for the championship.

Davies was also struggling with a sticky throttle after that crash despite their attempts to fix it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fenati strikes me as that guy with a shitload of adrenaline-fuelled speed but not the brains to turn that into a championship. It'll only get worse as he moves up through the classes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Is Vinales going to win it all?

No, he's not. Hope this helps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think I missed the part where 10hp minibikes have any relevance to motogp.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait you watch F1 on purpose?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

loving Iannone I wanted to see your penis in the sweaty faces of the spaniards, oval office.

Awesome reace though. Zarco's a beast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

How about Zarco though. I was looking forward to watching a backflip and he got robbed. See: this quote from page 1

I <3 Rossi 5eva but I cannot wait to start hearing the French anthem on the reg

God yes. He's loving marvellous and his five laps of fury exceeded my wildest expectations. Calling it now: Sam Lowes is taking Rabat's wooden spoon this year.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wtf is happening with these practice sessions, why are all the poo poo tier teams in the top ten.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Back in the day, yes. But I am unsure about the modern 4-stroke era.

Honda made their cheep and cheerful NSR500V v twin privateer/factory bike until around 2001 or so.

E this post is super unhelpful I know, but the smallest cylinder engine I can think of is the Aprillia Cube which was a tripple of some sort. I belive it spent most of its time highsiding its riders.

For a while it was thought that v4 was the best configuration and I think it is in terms of power. Also they alternate between screamer and big bang every few years I believe which is hilarious.

The Aprilia rotax was definitely a triple, was also the first one to have pneumatic valves. Also the 211v was a v5 back when they let you have more cylinders in exchange for more weight.

I don't see how the mandatory five hard laps make any difference at all, everyone was shooting for a time at the end of fp2 on soft tyres and both 25 and 93 performed as normal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The question thread would probably get you a lot more replies.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I can't find the chart browsing on the phone but I'm 90% sure the weight categories in 2002 were for 2,3,4, and 6 cylinders and honda was able to go with the max 4 cylinder weight because no one accounted for anyone making a wacky v5 engine.

Here we go 4 and 5 cylinder weight allowance was the same at 320 pounds because why even try to figure it out no one will do it.

:psyduck:

Skreemer posted:

Pedrosa, Rossi, and Lorenzo had to go through Q1. Lorenzo was 6th in Q1 meaning he didn't make it to Q2. In Q2 Pedrosa got 5th and Rossi got 7th. Marquez got pole.

In everyone's defense, it is raining out and no one likes the surface when it's dry.

Look at the first few rows:

1 93 Marc MARQUEZ
2 17 Karel ABRAHAM
3 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW
4 9 Danilo PETRUCCI
5 26 Dani PEDROSA
6 25 Maverick VIŅALES
7 46 Valentino ROSSI
8 41 Aleix ESPARGARO
9 76 Loris BAZ
10 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA
11 94 Jonas FOLGER
12 29 Andrea IANNONE

Ye olde ducke must be absolutely exceptional on a drying rack is what I'm getting from qualifying.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No thanks, I'm still convinced it's gonna be a Marquez championship.

Also: lolrenzo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Iannone got penalised for a jump start, Lorenzo crashing was his own dumb fault.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Probably Marquez, but if Vinales wins then slavvy has to get a tastefully done #25 tattoo on his bicep.

Don't paint me wrong, i like cutie vinales as much as the next teenage girl, but i know over-hype when i see it so I'm still hoping to look shrewdly cunning by the end of the season by predicting a Marquez title this early.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

tragic comedy of errors that eventuated?

Surprisingly, not the worst thing I've heard Nicky's championship year called.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good to see george getting back in the mix too, his race pace is poo poo but at least his great starts combined with his drag-racer bike should hopefully lead to some interesting poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zarco :swoon:

builds character posted:

Agreed. I wonder which factory ride he's getting next year. I can't imagine him staying on a satellite team but if you're yamaha don't you want to keep him as long as you can because Rossi's getting old? Maybe even set up some sort of arrangement like Crutchlow has?

What'd everyone think about Rossi's penalty? I don't really get what else he's supposed to do there. Not a big deal because it didn't end up mattering, I just don't get it.

RIP Vinales perfect season. Slavvy, now's the time to buy while the bandwagon stock is low!

Zarco isn't going anywhere next year because he's on a two-year contract like most people. I hope and dream that when rossi throws in the towel zarco can take his seat but replacing one of the dumbledores at suzuki is a more realistic prospect.

COTA sucks balls because it's a multi-line car track and has nothing to offer bikes, it's also got way too many corners and is generally too texas in every measure.

Also if rossi is on PED's the mcguiness is a literal cyborg deliberately engineered to look like a pasty unfit englishman.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I suspect most people who disagree with the penalty aren't diehard 46ers but rather are afraid of the racing getting too rulesy and f1-like and micro penalties for micro infractions are the start of that slippery slope.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Been thinking about penalty chat w.r.t. exceeding track limits ala Rossi. We have transponders on all the bikes and standardised electronics. Why can't they set up a GPS nerf-zone of some kind? Stray further than a meter beyond the track limit and your pit limiter kicks in.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well if the run-off isn't grippy tarmac, you don't need to cut their power because they're already in the gravel/grass and have bigger poo poo to deal with. Seems like limiting throttle opening or revs would be pretty straightforward from a hardware standpoint and would still let them cruise along without abruptly losing everything, yet still making track shortcuts non-profitable.

What you're describing is what I initially thought of which is what sent me down this track, you don't need anything physically boggy if you just slow the bike down. You'd prevent racing incidents by allowing a metre-wide safety margin with a yellow line showing the limit. If we can have self-driving cars that don't immediately kill people, I would think the engineering involved in implementing something like this in a controlled environment where every parameter is known and easy to define would be trivial. Take away seamless trans and make the teams all contribute one season's rental of those things and it'd pay for itself.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 2, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The sector thing is based on transponders, I'm talking about GPS which is a lot more accurate and therefore banned for engine mapping. And I'm not talking auto braking, I'm just suggesting you lose the last quarter throttle or something. It's entirely feasible to do this in a smooth way that doesn't abruptly chop the power but ok.

This type of thinking is why we'll end up with bullshit micro penalties everywhere instead of looking for more effective solutions to a pretty simple problem.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's enough of a problem that one of the tracks (misano?) has special red plating outside of the normal rumble strip on the exit of one corner because they keep breaking the track limit and penalties are handed out tennis-style for going past the line. Moto3 had a really bad run last year where a good half-dozen riders were penalised for exceeding limits.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

GPS isn't accurate to the meter. More like 3 or 4 in the best conditions.

Genuinely wasn't aware of this, if that's the case why is it banned for engine mapping purposes corner-by-corner?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trying to accomplish? I guess I want to prevent the vortex of bullshit opened up with retroactive penalties that are always going to be unfair in some way or another.

Your 23 people idea wouldn't work in real time I wouldn't have thought.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not entirely certain what this is but I'm very certain it's fantastic.

E: autocorrect :argh:

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 5, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah a tyre bingo race on a track he likes fits well with the idea he'll be strong some places and poo poo everywhere else.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress vinales, when rossi finally dies of a heart attack just stick zarco on the bike and get another string of championships and/or fatality.

e: rossi took the blame for being slow but he also said he experienced a massive rear wheel vibration in the last few laps, and the way he dropped like a rock supports this. I think both of them got hosed by their teams/michelin/bike architecture because the track temp was like 20 degrees hotter in the race than the morning warm-up and the michelins seem super sensitive to minor temperature changes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guy Martin dusts off his old bridesmaid's dress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They have to use a spec ECU with an emphasis on rider aids as a safety measure instead of a tyre conservation tool which has really dented the factory teams' advantage. That's part of it, the other part is the massively inconsistent tyres giving advantage to some bikes/riding styles over others at any given track.

All the big names, Rossi included, have rider coaches because it's useful having another rider's input on what they're seeing you do on track vs everyone else. That helps them spot stuff that the engineers miss/aren't aware of.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The worst thing about this is that he lost a wheel balance weight and dropped like a rock in what may be the final race of his career. So Nicky Hayden it hurts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Race 2 was loving carnage a dude even pitted and restarted for points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's massively playing up his injuries.

Disappointed from zarco, his q1 was great so don't know wtf happened.

• Locked thread