Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never really understood why people rag on losail, it's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aaaaand the lovely chicane is gone. Wonder how much the track spent on an ill-thought-out impulse modification that's now never going to be used?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Another day, another tyre roulette.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I miss proper tyre roulette, when some b grade rider just smokes the field on a dunlop/bridgestone bike.

That happened last year with jack miller, he chose the correct wets and everyone else faffed around on the wrong ones and that's why we don't have two different rain tyres anymore.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The working class hero of gp.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jerez and catalunya both have surfaces the riders refuse to ride on again. Dorna will make the appropriate choice, knowing they have valencia in the pocket, and make room for somewhere else.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ducati got their hilarious clown action out of the way in FP1 when george fell off on dovi's oil slick.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dovi :allears:

Lol @ zarco getting suckered by assen rain and :laffo: at george for panicking the moment some drops hit his visor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I don't know how that guy doesn't win every race everywhere.

I'm 100% convinced the only reason he doesn't is because ninja reflexes and godlike talent can't make a slow bike accelerate faster.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

The 2017 Duc is no longer a second tier bike. That's it's legit competitiveness. The new yam chassis is no good and the repsol honda is trash. It's starting to look like MM can't Lead development on the bike cause it's gotten steadily worse since Casey gave him a fantastic bike

The fantastic bike Casey spent his entire season complaining about chatter on? Or the fantastic bike designed to take advantage of bridgestone front tyres?

He's not a development rider though I'll agree with that. Problem with hiring cunts straight out of m2 more than anything.

Buhbuhj posted:

The new Aprilia chassis seems decent and Aleix even managed to finish a race without a mechanical issue, top 10 even.

They got their mechanical out of the way during Sam Lowes' qualifying.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

harperdc posted:

Sounds like this, specifically. the new Yamaha seems to be working for Vinales, the old one is the most neutral and straightforward chassis on the grid, and the Ducati seems to be capable. Not sure why the Suzuki has taken a step back though - have we just not focused on Iannone throwing it off the island because he's not on a Ducati?

IMO it's ducati curse in reverse, you need a Lorenzo-like style to take advantage of the Suzuki and iannone cut his teeth on a loving gp13.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He wasn't doing that on purpose...

Also all the bikes are sliding both wheels basically the entire time they aren't on the brakes or going in a straight line and it has been this way for over a decade.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3MbBiGGI-k

:perfect:

The music makes it. Only time I'll be positive about disturbed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vinales is really turning into a little bitch since he got on a good bike. Seems like every weekend he has some kind of kerfuffle with someone and gets upset about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What I don't understand is if they have two rossi frames and two vinales frames why not give rossi the two he prefers and vice versa.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Petrucci is ducati's crutchlow and it wouldn't surprise me if yamaha don't follow suit and give zarco a contemporary bike next season.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

That was a hell of a pass, worth watching the whole race just to see that.

Came here to post about that pass. Was a tiny little nugget of absolute magic of the sort usually reserved for 46/93 races.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup it turns out when you have a consistently massive race pace difference between manufacturers, shuffling the grid does sweet gently caress all. It was a band aid for a problem dorna have been too preoccupied/scared to start fixing because the manufacturers will whine and threaten to leave if any kind of parity inducing measure is introduced.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The other riders literally cannot do poo poo because they're on a second class bike compared to the Duc and Ninja as those brands are the only ones committing a true 'factory' level effort and pushing the state of the art forward, while everyone else is effectively on a privately run bike, some of which have varying degrees of factory backing.

There's also the fact that the bikes are mechanically handicapped in ways that make no sense in the name of cost reduction yet electronic aids are effectively open so the performance disparity remains huge at the same time that winning races is perceived as too expensive for most mfgs to bother trying to do as electronic aid development is the only way to make your bike faster. Kawasaki have no gp effort competing for money and Ducati have brand reasons for participation in a big way; everyone else just doesn't want to spend the money on a series hovering awkwardly between prototypes (gp) and true proddie racing (bsb, motoamerica, stock1k).

The whole setup is really broken and massively out of date both in relation to the product mfgs are selling and the state of racing as a whole. Since the rule change in 2015, intended to curb the 'unfair' advantage race-ready road bikes like the rsv4 had, the performance disparity between the green and red bikes and everyone else has grown massively, in part because the rule changes were arbitrary and senseless and handicapped some bikes more than others. It's all very similar to gp's 12 bike grid days.

Don't know what Davies' excuse is though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was surprised how much Rossi recovered after he stayed out so long on wets. Few other guys did that too, don't know if it would've possible on Bridgestones.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hayden. posted:

I don't understand what happened with Lorenzo. He was leading the race, and yeah he delayed on going in, but not as much as Rossi. I guess he had the right pace on the wet tires, but wasn't able to replicate it on the slicks? Just seemed weird to do so well and then so bad.

What happened is his team send him a text to pull into the pits thinking he had about a lap to go. But they misjudged his position on the track so he got the message a few corners before pit entry. As he pulled into the pits they were still swapping out suspension stuff so he ended up waiting 15 seconds while they hosed around and then going out on a bike with a half wet/half dry setup.

His team hosed him over at the race he had the best chance of winning at thus far. Classic ducati.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was a fantastic race.

Yamaha fumble again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Nakagami has his moments and is usually pretty good at the start of the race, but once the tires start to go off, his pace drops off a lot. He also doesn't seem to be nearly as aggressive as most of the other riders. He's a solid 5th through 8th place finisher though, that can steal a few podiums here and there when conditions and luck are just right.

Zarco and Folger have led me to give up attempting to guess which m2 riders might turn out to be good in the premier class, he might turn out to be absolutely brilliant.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Folger wasn't 'really good' he was the one who picked up the scraps when rins, Lowes, luthi and zarco were doing something else. Tito Rabat has the highest scoring season in m2 ever and routinely trounced zarco before leaving to finish last in every race in gp.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Zarco then went on to beat the poo poo out of rabat the next year in moto2 . I'd say rabat is a disappointment rather than you can't tell if someone will be good from moto2.

What about lowes and rins?

Do you think tom luthi would be any good in gp if he moved up?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Should still be at Donnington imo.

Even though, I believe that's Donnington's choice not MotoGP's.

It's the FIM's choice; donington facilities aren't at motogp level. However they just changed owners so hopefully fingers crossed in a couple of years they'll stop going to lovely old silverstone and go to arguably the best british track (I say arguably because cadwell park exists).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

There's one of the DNFs we needed to spice things up

Hell yeah.

Also the first hrc engine failure in donkeys years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PolishHero posted:

Mat Oxley had a bit about this, and his suggestion was basically that to be who they are and to have the mentality they have as racers just doesn't leave much room for that kinda thinking. The same attitude that says "gently caress yeah lets go thrash mx bikes because I want to" is probably the same attitude that says "gently caress yeah I can make that pass".

Yup. I never get tired of reading comment sections with people bleating about how unsafe dirt riding is and how these dudes, whose entire life revolves around being blindingly fast and ruthlessly agressive, should wrap themselves in cotton wool or plug into a stasis pod or some poo poo when they aren't racing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Isn't it a thing for, like, F1 drivers to have contracts with clauses about not engaging in other dangerous sports though?

F1 drivers are also giant pusscakes in like the safest Motorsport there is so i don't see the relevance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good job guys saving that extra 200ml really helped in the end!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah there is zero possibility of a british GP anywhere other than silverstone. Donington's paddock facilities are a literal paddock with some gravel scattered here and there.

nsaP posted:

Donington isn't in the condition to host a GP without a lot of money dumped into it and Silverstone is trash. They should just drop it until a good track is at MotoGP standards. Especially since there are so many good circuits so close.

Yup. SIlverstone sucks balls and they should really be racing at donington or brand's instead but everything I've learned about the UK leads me to believe they're even more laughably incompetent than italians so it'll be silverstone. In dorna's perception there can't not be a british GP so buckle up for at least a couple of more years of nick harris screaming MAGGOTS!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah Jrea has a lot of stuff going for him: he's super duper smooth, is probably the best in the field at managing the pirellis and his race craft and level-headedness are excellent. MotoGP is a completely different thing altogether, the bikes are now so chalk-and-cheese that even relatively talented GP riders have a hard time adjusting to the SBK riding style and bike behaviour. He's a very good rider but doesn't have that extra little bit to make a GP switch even worthwhile, and he knows it as he's consistently batted away suggestions to that effect.

I think chaz davies would do a lot better in GP and even then would probably only have crutchlow-style speed wherein he can be as fast as the geniuses or he can finish a race but rarely both at the same time.

The only genuinely good SBK>GP switch was bayliss, that guy was a loving freak.

While I'm here I might add that the media love to play up the supposed similarity between the two classes but that extra second worth of laptime that looks so insignificant on paper takes millions of dollars of engineering cleverness and genius-level talent to achieve.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 18, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Spies, Hayden, and Edwards are all WSBK graduates that fared pretty darn well.

I would think that any of the big SBK guys have the opportunity to take a moto2 ride and see if they can cut it in GP. They are choosing to be big fish in a smaller less talented pond (probably with bigger paychecks). I am under the impression that it is easier to get a competitive moto2 now than say 10 years ago when the 250CC 2Ts were around. Back then there were a few Aprilias and a few Hondas that were really capable of winning races. If you weren't one of the chosen ones, there was no reason to go into the intermediate class.

Hayden did reasonably well, spies and Edwards did really bloody badly compared to their illustrious records in SBK. Edwards didn't win a single race AFAIK and spies only got one.

Nobody with even a shred of talent would move from a competitive bike in SBK to moto2.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Max biaggi won the loving championship twice. The first time he was older than Rossi is now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

James toseland won a race on the old suzuki (arguably one of the worst big-name GP bikes ever) and got a few podiums as well IIRC so IMO he did better than spies.

The lightweight thing was true back in those days but now the bikes have become so actively physical to ride it doesn't matter as much. Outliers like redding and baz certainly do struggle with being 'uge but even the traditionally girly riders like rossi and lorenzo have bulked up considerably. Marquez and vinales are built like brick shithouses compared riders from the old days; dovi has some sexy sexy biceps and quads on him. Pedrosa is the lightest and smallest and he's massively handicapped by insufficient tyre temperatures (presumably a consequence of the michelins being really temperature-sensitive but whatever) so I'd argue being little is more of an impediment than being big. AFAIK jray, davies and VDM (IMO the only SBK riders remotely capable of doing a good job in GP) are all fairly average sized.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

When did James Toseland win a race? Or ride a suzuki? You thinking Chris Vermulean?

:doh: yup.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rossi is conserving his pain reservoir because he knows by about lap twelve he'll be feeling it big time. My prediction for him is he'll attempt to get to the front ASAP then use his canny ways to airbrake his plummet through the field in the second half of the race and get a solid top ten. Bonus points if he holds back MM to give vinales a fighting chance. We might actually get to see those two fight for the first time maybe?

Lorenzo just needed to get his poo poo dialled in; I didn't watch FP4 but if he had a bad time there he probably won't do well in the race as tyre conservation hasn't been his strong suit this year.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marquez crashed because he was at 110% riding a bike with a not-ideal setup. Part of his magic is being able to trade crash risk for speed to compensate for a crap setup like it's a video game.

Dovi's style is super stop-go so he only benefits from it on the really twisty tracks and reaps the rewards of less drag on the straights; george needs it more because he relies on having a good front tyre feel a lot more, and he's used to riding a bike with a few km/h less than the others so the top speed penalty doesn't mean poo poo to him.

Most of the tyre consumption this season has been the rear, not the front, and dovi is just really patient during the race and has worked to develop a really good connection with the throttle. In austria george said he'd switched to the most economical fuel map like a third of the way through the race whereas dovi stayed on full power the entire time and just managed it with his wrist. Lorenzo will get there, he just needs more miles to familiarise himself and learn to not get carried away when he creates a big gap in the first couple of laps. You can tell that when he sees +1 on his board he goes into yamaha hammer time mode and just annihilates his tyre.

If you look at the 'ideal lap' sector times they're all over the place compared to usual; loving mika kallio was fastest in sector four and gammy-leg grampa rossi had two reds which tells you that nobody really got their bike dialled in perfectly so it'll be another warmup scramble followed by a tyre crapshoot in the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's interesting seeing how the honda is the least setup-sensitive bike out there. Yamaha may as well write their season off as their bike just won't play ball with the michelins. Ducati seem to have the best package atm (never thought I'd say that) if they have the time to dial in their tyres correctly. On the weekends like the one just gone where there's limited setup time and wet weather carnage, honda always do well while ducati inevitably choose the wrong tyre and their bike jekyll/hydes itself back into an understeering piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread