Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:siren::siren:NICK HARRIS IS RETIRING!!:siren::siren:

Praise the gods and heavens and all that is holy and pray for Dylan Grey to take over. I need more Dylan. You need more Dylan. The world needs Dylan. When they had technical difficulties a few races ago and Dylan had to commentate the action himself from the pitlane it was thirty seconds of absolute heart-warming loving magic cause that oval office is motogp superfan number one and he gets to talk poo poo about it for his job and he knows it and loves it. Praise Dylan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHGiABZ6ITI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sofuoglu is down? Mein gott I might have to start watching WSS again. He's more dominant than jray.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yamaha look to have paddled their way pretty far up poo poo creek. Based on what rossi says it isn't even practical for them to switch back to the 'old' bike T3 are running because too many other things besides the frame are different.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's gonna be blazing sunshine and the tyres will do unpredictable poo poo and some random person will win in an unsatisfying non-battle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marquez is just visibly a cut above everyone else; circumstance and inadequate machinery are the only things making this season look like a contest now that Yamaha's feet of clay have come home to roost in an extended metaphor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Dovi earned the poo poo out of that win.

He sure did. He's also gotten a pretty big psychological victory both for himself and for everyone else on the grid thinking marquez is untouchable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lorenzo he is not.

Speaking of, had to laugh about his whining over Zarco overtaking him. Never change, George.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What explains this anyway? I feel like most races this year, he leads it for the first 2 or 3 laps, way out in front as if no one could touch him, and then falls back to finish 9th. Tires can't go off THAT fast can they? Why would he be so on and then off?

Looks to me like a bunch of different stuff. In a lot of cases he has the speed but hasn't yet learned to mitigate tyre wear or save fuel which seem to be a lot more critical on the ducati than they ever were on the Yamaha. So he's fast enough until the tyres expire, often this is exacerbated by him only being fast on the softest option. Sometimes he's known this to start with and just had no choice but to employ the Nicky Hayden strategy wherein he he goes as fast as he can at the start then attempts to control his plummet backwards so as to land somewhere in the top ten.In the wet races it's definitely partly psychological; he's able to be super quick in the wet provided it isn't actually raining. The lack of visibility is what hinders him more so than the water on the tyres I think.

This particular race he had the same problem as everyone on the grid: the bike and tyres have a narrow water quantity/temperature window and where that window falls depends largely on the bike and preferred setup and the water quantity was too much for his tyres to play ball with his bike. The Michelins in general, both wet and dry, seem to have better performance than the Bridgestones when they're working right (nobody was using carbon brakes and being elbow down on Bridgestone wets), but have a super narrow happy zone and a lot of the time, some bikes just fall between or outside of the choices they bring. Last year it was Marquez falling afoul of having no front tyre hard enough for his style, and the Yamahas all struggled to warm up their tyres on cold days. This year everyone has gotten better at predicting Michelin's BS and consistency has improved accordingly.

Regardless, all of this stuff are things he's mentioned before and will probably fix eventually. I'd argue he's learning faster than anyone else has before on their switch to red, the fact that he's got podiums at all is more than you'd expect with pretty much anyone else jumping on it for the first time (besides Marquez I suspect). It'll be interesting to compare how quickly Jack miller comes up to speed next year as I suspect coming from a Honda will give him a better skillset to start with.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

harperdc posted:

And it all makes sense now - George is Sebastian Vettel. Conditions have to be perfect, and he’s not the best elbows-out combat racer on the grid.

GTFO with this F1 bullshit. Even the worst most miserable rider on the gp grid (Karel Abraham in case you were wondering) has more sack and talent than anyone in F1.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

George has adapted faster to the ducati than any rider besides stoner (and his was so loving long ago it hardly bears comparison). Several times this year he's been faster than dovi despite dovi having a huge amount of experience on the bike and clearly being one of the strongest riders this season. He 'falls apart' because he still hasn't gotten a feel for an effective race strategy on that bike, as mentioned by myself a few posts up from yours. It's pretty hilarious to say he 'still' falls apart when every other successful rider they've had (again apart from stoner) has taken several years to even get into podium contention and he's managed to do it in half a season.

Fanboy bullshit is for other sites, the expectation here is that you aren't an idiot and try to actually understand what's happening instead of just drooling and waving your yellow/red/orange flag.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All of that implies passing happens in F1 and I've yet to see evidence of that :smuggo:

Also, Lorenzo isn't bad in a battle. That's largely an internet myth and if you go back and actually watch some races you'll find many where he's had to fight for positions, especially in his earlier years on the Yamaha before he figured out how to be so fast from the start that he didn't need to battle. Indeed even several times this year he's rallied from quite far back when other riders tyres have dropped and gained several positions in the closing stages.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 18, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This year's bike is almost identical to last year's bike, dovi has said so himself. The main difference is IMO ducati have figured out how to get the best out of the tyres on a consistent basis and yamaha haven't while honda sort of have and are leaning on a marquez shaped crutch. George is doing better than petrucci, a guy on the exact same bike with several years' ducati experience under his belt. George has also switched almost his entire crew (including, crucially, crew chief) and is having to learn the ropes of ducati's organisation and culture and way of working at the same time as getting to grips with a bike that he effectively has to test while racing.

Race strategy and tyre management are the exact same thing. To whit:

Slavvy posted:

Looks to me like a bunch of different stuff. In a lot of cases he has the speed but hasn't yet learned to mitigate tyre wear or save fuel which seem to be a lot more critical on the ducati than they ever were on the Yamaha. So he's fast enough until the tyres expire, often this is exacerbated by him only being fast on the softest option. Sometimes he's known this to start with and just had no choice but to employ the Nicky Hayden strategy wherein he he goes as fast as he can at the start then attempts to control his plummet backwards so as to land somewhere in the top ten.In the wet races it's definitely partly psychological; he's able to be super quick in the wet provided it isn't actually raining. The lack of visibility is what hinders him more so than the water on the tyres I think.

This particular race he had the same problem as everyone on the grid: the bike and tyres have a narrow water quantity/temperature window and where that window falls depends largely on the bike and preferred setup and the water quantity was too much for his tyres to play ball with his bike. The Michelins in general, both wet and dry, seem to have better performance than the Bridgestones when they're working right (nobody was using carbon brakes and being elbow down on Bridgestone wets), but have a super narrow happy zone and a lot of the time, some bikes just fall between or outside of the choices they bring. Last year it was Marquez falling afoul of having no front tyre hard enough for his style, and the Yamahas all struggled to warm up their tyres on cold days. This year everyone has gotten better at predicting Michelin's BS and consistency has improved accordingly.

I'll add that at Austria, he was noticeably faster than dovi at the start of the race but ended up going backwards because he failed to conserve his fuel load and ended up on the lowest-power setting after just a few laps, while dovi did it all with his wrist. Experience matters a lot and he's learning with every race.

I am the absolute last person who would defend lorenzo, I'm very much not a fan of him or his personality, but he's been objectively impressive this year and isn't crashing and burning anywhere near as much as I expected him to.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most of his hard fought battles were against pedrosa who IMO is faster and better on his day but his day is like one in six races instead of nearly all the time like George on the Yamaha.

Not counting the ones he lost to Rossi. Biaggi was a MUCH bigger oval office for sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It seems like a Spanish thing, gibernau was the same and vinales is shaping up the same. Marquez is the exception.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So long, dovi. Was a fun dream while it lasted but sweaty Spaniards will always prevail in the end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is as weak as Marquez is likely to get, and as strong as dovi can expect. Crazy poo poo can and does happen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

His knee slider got twisted around and somehow he still has a functioning leg, that's more physics defying than his save.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love how a tight championship makes mediocre races feel super suspenseful.

Rossi needs to retire and start a satellite team so Zarco can get a factory bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KTM's rapid ownage of moto2 is substantially more impressive than their charge into the top ten in GP. They are literally running a rookie outfit with an untested bike and two class rookies aboard, one of whom effectively lost half a season to recurring horrible injury, and they're somehow locking out the podium.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So what? Those boutique chassis makers have had many years to carefully extract every tiny advantage they can and as a result the kalex bikes at least have reached sufficient refinement that the fastest M2 riders are nipping at the times the slowest gp bikes can set at tracks where horsepower isn't too important. The nature of single-engine series like that is that minute gains in aerodynamics, weight etc are very impactful. Just throwing money at the problem works eventually but leapfrogging years of carefully hoarded knowledge is really bloody hard regardless of how rich you are.

They're doing exactly the same thing in GP but they've yet to consistently outperform the better satellite outfits despite having the huge advantages a factory effort confers. Still impressive, but not dry podiums in the first year impressive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll optimistically bet my pride and say that if dovi finds himself in the lead and Marquez gets tangled up with Zarco or something it could happen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That still happens with michelin, it's just the rain tyres :v:

Or he chokes with the title in the bag like how rossi, a far less prolific crasher, did that one time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's pedrosa that took hayden out.

Also bayliss is the loving man and not moving to GP earlier in his career is a bloody tragedy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Champion of my heart if nothing else :swoon:

Mancrush on maverick vinales is over, dovi is my crush now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Two of his wins have come from the third row so it isn't the end of the world, the lack of race pace is what will really gently caress him though so

Wirth1000 posted:

Congratulations to 2017 MotoGP World Champion Marc Marquez

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was a bizarre race. The grip limit on the front tyre was so low it seemed that everyone who got to grips with the tyres ended up having identical lap times and everyone who tried to exceed that crashed (marquez' incident effectively being a crash he brought back). They also went substantially slower than last year. Maybe the track got really bleached during the off-season or something? Weird stuff anyway.

Rins is gonna be a force next year I reckon.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If current regulations continue for the next ~10 years: a whole loving lot.

If dorna decide five years from now that fart powered hybrid tricycles are the future and everyone's marquez-style skillset becomes instantly obsolete then not a lot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

500cc turbos are definitely a realistic prospect considering the way road-bikes are heading. I don't know what all the turbo plumbing and triplicate increase in torque would mean for chassis design and riding style but I suspect it would absolutely kill any prospects the corner speed riders like Lorenzo have, unless tyres and suspension also make some sort of quantum leap in the next couple of years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

You aren't serious about turbo GP bikes right - and turbo bikes in general right? Where is the push for turbo motors?

Given how very close the bikes are getting, the biggest single factor is going to be tires. Will Michelin keep loving with the tires? I've always felt that since they have moved to the control tires, some of the changes have been attempts to give Valentino the tires he prefers.

I don't have much confidence in Marquez's development abilities - or at least how Honda works with him. At some point, he's going to going to get really hurt with all the crashing he does. In the next 5 years I'd bet that he will win 3 or 4 out of the 5 titles. He is still the fastest rider on the planet, it's very sad that Casey didn't stick around long enough for them to really fight it out.

All the Japanese brands are building, patenting or developing forced induction bikes. Electric is still really far off and something has to fill the hole as emissions regulations tighten; some models are already getting bigger engines with identical outputs as the old because of tightening emissions standards. Eventually GP will be running big aspirated engines while every sporty road bike has a small blown engine, and the writing will be on the wall as it was with two strokes.

Michelin will definitely keep loving with the tyres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Haha :wtc:

It'll be entertaining watching Hondas burst into flames for once though.

• Locked thread