Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Despite being 45 years old and retired from racing for a few years, I bet Biaggi trains / rides like a total rear end in a top hat maniac. He's got a serious case of little man-itis, so I'm sure he can't just go out and have fun without trying to win everything. Great rider, and amazing style on the bike, but a real little douchebag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

algebra testes posted:

edit: ahaha rumours are circulating that Valentino is riding a tech 3 chassis.

Yamaha got things so wrong in 2006 they went back to the previous years' frame. This was part of the reason why Nicky won that year.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Skreemer posted:

Because newer is better. The other guy does great on the new chassis, and he likes it a bunch, plus the math says it's a lot better, so you better use it until we switch you back because you complain too much and start fighting for the lower places.

BTW Go Tech3 Yamaha. 2 podium finishers for the year.

I think it's pretty common for riders to be on different frames. A lot of the arguing that goes on is who is getting the development time/money. It's also common that the second rider is used as a very highly paid test rider. This was a big topic back in 2006 when Nicky was on some sort of a development/testing RC211V.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ducati fairings are whack. Ban 'em.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Promoting riders from moto2 makes the most sense especially compared to WSBK or moto3. Making that leap is still super tough and some riders take to it better than others. A rider getting the nod because of his passport happens all the time, so who knows how it will go.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Brands Hatch is the best UK track.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Brands Hatch is still better, a stupid jump doesn't mean a track is great. Back when WSBK raced at Brands there were some pretty great battles there. BSB has always been trash, but unfortunately WSBK is trash now as well so who cares about any of it. I'd contend that Silverstone is a better bike track than Donnington aside from that really cool downhill left/right that Donnington has. The whole second half of the lap at Donnington is garbage.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Motogp can't even get their riders to pit when they tell them to during flag to flag races.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Spies, Hayden, and Edwards are all WSBK graduates that fared pretty darn well.

I would think that any of the big SBK guys have the opportunity to take a moto2 ride and see if they can cut it in GP. They are choosing to be big fish in a smaller less talented pond (probably with bigger paychecks). I am under the impression that it is easier to get a competitive moto2 now than say 10 years ago when the 250CC 2Ts were around. Back then there were a few Aprilias and a few Hondas that were really capable of winning races. If you weren't one of the chosen ones, there was no reason to go into the intermediate class.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think that winning a championship and being the 2nd or 3rd best rider in GP for a span of time a bit better than 'reasonably well'. Superbikes are just not a great platform to move to GP from. Prototype bikes are more complex to setup, and I think that the moto3/2/GP system is just more competitive.

To say that Spies did badly is just stupid. He is one of 5 or 6 guys that won a race during the 800CC era. Spies was a pretty big dude, especially for that era of bikes. Look at how loving skinny Rossi and the other riders got during the 800s, they were not a formula that favored larger guys. I think if Spies had a bit more of a killer instinct and had stuck around, he could have done very well with the current formula. He got really hosed up in a few wrecks, had already made enough $$ to retire comfortably and just said gently caress it. Good on him. It's too bad he did not get into commentating, he sat in on a few races when he was injured and he was really good.

This is purely speculation, but I doubt that Colin ever got much attention from Yamaha during his time there in motoGP. Colin has a reputation as a great development rider, and I think he was used as a highly paid test rider for Rossi during that time. Regardless the dude finished 4th and 5th in the championships during his tenure.

James Toseland is a better example of someone who came from WSBK and did jack poo poo.

Sam Lowes is an example of a rider that was on the fast track to a WSBK ride that decided to go to moto2 instead of continue with production bikes.

The big name guys in WSBK just have a sweet deal, like winning, and are probably getting decent paychecks to do so. You can probably eat a few more hamburgers and drink a few more beers riding a superbike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

James toseland won a race on the old suzuki (arguably one of the worst big-name GP bikes ever) and got a few podiums as well IIRC so IMO he did better than spies.

The lightweight thing was true back in those days but now the bikes have become so actively physical to ride it doesn't matter as much. Outliers like redding and baz certainly do struggle with being 'uge but even the traditionally girly riders like rossi and lorenzo have bulked up considerably. Marquez and vinales are built like brick shithouses compared riders from the old days; dovi has some sexy sexy biceps and quads on him. Pedrosa is the lightest and smallest and he's massively handicapped by insufficient tyre temperatures (presumably a consequence of the michelins being really temperature-sensitive but whatever) so I'd argue being little is more of an impediment than being big. AFAIK jray, davies and VDM (IMO the only SBK riders remotely capable of doing a good job in GP) are all fairly average sized.

Jesus Slavvy are you really this stupid?

Here is Spies' GP record:

Here is Toseland's GP record:

It will take another young rider that comes into WSBK and really dominates for them to get much of a chance in MotoGP. The 800CC era in motogp really was a terrible time. The bikes favored very high speed cornering one line racing. The power favored light riders, and the disparity between the factory bikes and everything else was very large. I would contend that both Nicky and Spies were victims of the 800CC formula and they would have had a much better time if the 990 bikes had just continued. I believe that Dorna finally getting to the point we have now with the rules will make the racing really good. I'd like to see a bit more consistency with the tires. It seems like there is enough ongoing fuckery with the tires that the riders and teams are having to do a lot of work to stay up with the changes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Toseland never really had the chops for GP and was there because of his passport.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Gorge is getting faster nearly every race and GiGi knows how to design bikes that Jorge likes. He'll get there.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Yes, don’t form your own opinion.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

On Lorenzo's good days he's impressive to watch. Exciting - not particularly - but impressive. I can't really recall any examples of hard fought battles that he's had, but I'm sure they have happened. I don't really have the memory of races like some people do. Lorenzo reminds me of a modern day Biaggi in riding style. Biaggi was a lot more hateable - but man what a pretty rider.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

KTM's rapid ownage of moto2 is substantially more impressive than their charge into the top ten in GP. They are literally running a rookie outfit with an untested bike and two class rookies aboard, one of whom effectively lost half a season to recurring horrible injury, and they're somehow locking out the podium.

No it's not.

Moto2 requires essentially no motor tech aside from some very minor tuning you're allowed to do. They are a full factory racing against what are essentially boutique moto2 specific chassis makers that are in it to make money instead of advertise their brand.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Odds are less now than with the briggstones (sorry this reference is now very very out of date). When you backed off with those tires you could lose the heat in the front tire and crash - it definitely happened.

The only way Marquez does't bring this home is if someone hits him and takes him out - or another mechanical DNF.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

500cc turbos are definitely a realistic prospect considering the way road-bikes are heading. I don't know what all the turbo plumbing and triplicate increase in torque would mean for chassis design and riding style but I suspect it would absolutely kill any prospects the corner speed riders like Lorenzo have, unless tyres and suspension also make some sort of quantum leap in the next couple of years.

You aren't serious about turbo GP bikes right - and turbo bikes in general right? Where is the push for turbo motors?

Given how very close the bikes are getting, the biggest single factor is going to be tires. Will Michelin keep loving with the tires? I've always felt that since they have moved to the control tires, some of the changes have been attempts to give Valentino the tires he prefers.

I don't have much confidence in Marquez's development abilities - or at least how Honda works with him. At some point, he's going to going to get really hurt with all the crashing he does. In the next 5 years I'd bet that he will win 3 or 4 out of the 5 titles. He is still the fastest rider on the planet, it's very sad that Casey didn't stick around long enough for them to really fight it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Two strokes are making a comeback on dirtbikes.

FI bikes - I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

• Locked thread