Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Loved the Qatar race. Great way to start the season.

I live in Austin so the CotA race is just in my (figurative) back yard.
Been to every GP race at CotA, first year got turn 1 seats which were awesome. Got turn 15 two years ago which was awesome too. You get to see the bikes come screaming down the back straight at 213mph then dump over to a hard left, then you get to watch the rides navigate through ~5 turns. Lots of action there.
Turn 19 surprisingly sees a lot of crashes, not sure why.

This year I'm super pumped. A buddy of mine has been volunteering as a marshal the last few F1/GP races and hit me up.
This year I'll be working media assistance after the race, which gives me access to the paddock and pits during the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I will be there. My first time at a MotoGP race even though I've been watching for like 9 years now. I'm pretty excited.

So if anyone has suggestions on Austin/COTA I'm interested in hearing them. We're sitting at turn 15.

If you're there for the weekend the seating is essentially a free for all Friday/Saturday. I'd suggest sitting in turn one for one of those days and grandstand on the other. I'd also check out turn 19.

Bring sunglasses, sunscreen and a big brim hat. You might look like a dork but the sun is brutal out there and three days of it leaves me a mess.

There's no size restrictions of water bottles as long as they're sealed. I usually bring two super tall 2L bottles.

Snacks/booze are another story. It's a gamble to get them into the venue. Last year my snacks got confiscated, but I got my flask in. All previous years, they could care less and only glanced in the main compartment of my bag.
Try to eat big before/after the event. Austin has some amazing food so if you're visiting you should def try to get as much as it in as possible.

Finally, do all your shopping Friday/Saturday. The lines get stupid on race day, although they've been getting better lately. Last year several manufacturers did bike test rides.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

harperdc posted:

Same. I'm not usually rah-rah U-S-A in motorsports, but wouldn't it be awesome if...

Hope somebody new comes in soon.

I was lucky enough to meet/talk to Kevin Schwantz a few years ago at a bar that was hosting the GP watch events here in Austin.
He mentioned he had been working with youth/amateur race leagues to try and groom potential GP candidates. So maybe in the next few years we'll see a couple younger American riders filter into the Moto3 scene.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I was at 19 and I got to see a couple of great scenes.

That said, I am critical of the track's design. I wish is had more sweeping high-speed turns rather than non-stop technical turns. (Think Laguna Seca)
I think they designed it with the spectator as the main focus, racing being the secondary focus.

People always flock to turn 15, but I find that section to be really boring.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

drat, I missed the Moto3 race. Sounded like "A REAL CRAC-KAH!"

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I'm kicking myself for not watching the races this week at the local bar that shows them all.
That was some insane racing the entire weekend.

EX250 Type R posted:

RIP Nicky Hayden, gently caress

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

BlackMK4 posted:

It's Isle of Man time, boys

:woop:

Is there anyway to watch these races?
IoM is probably my favorite race in terms of sheer insanity but I've never actually watched a race, only best-of clips from the post season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Yeah that was a really good one. The bar I go to watch this stuff at had ~60+ bikers screaming and cheering at the screens.

• Locked thread