Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Like, what was the reason for making England a police state? They weren't using all that downtrodden labor for anything special, and the party elite were basically living like normal lower middle class dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
What's the point of anything, really.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
The point of 1984 is to remind us that we all love big brother.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
power for the sake of power

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It was rooted in a disagreement over the size of trains.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

namesake posted:

Forget it Jake, it's Tiny Train World.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
the point of 1984 was that it's good to snitch on commies, queers, and jews. for queen & country

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

What's the point of anything, really.

:smith:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

shove me like you do posted:

The point of 1984 is to remind us that we all love big brother.

some of us don't anymore :smith:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
To fund Orwell's morphine addiction by playing to brits' fears of government overreach

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
One thing to remember, it wasn't England, it was Airstrip One. It was part of Oceania, and it's implied that nation comprises the former UK, and also the Western Hemisphere, including the US. It's never implicitly stated, IIRC, but it's likely that the US is the one pulling the actual strings.

Therefor, Airstrip One is a police state because it's basically a large military base. Orwell only gives the history that impacts the characters in the story.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

VikingSkull posted:

One thing to remember, it wasn't England, it was Airstrip One. It was part of Oceania, and it's implied that nation comprises the former UK, and also the Western Hemisphere, including the US. It's never implicitly stated, IIRC, but it's likely that the US is the one pulling the actual strings.

Therefor, Airstrip One is a police state because it's basically a large military base. Orwell only gives the history that impacts the characters in the story.

orwell doesn't actually give us any reliable history at all. one thing that foreign correspondents in nazi germany used to report is that even though they read foreign news every day, they would be so overwhelmed by the constant domestic propaganda that they'd have trouble keeping track of what was real and what was entirely fiction. so, too, is it the case in the world of 1984 - much of our knowledge comes from goldstein, who himself is likely a complete fiction invented by the state. outside of the actual events we witness in 1984, we have no idea what the world looks like.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

namesake posted:

guardian op-ed writers are the philosopher kings we need

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently he went and hosed that lady in the woods and she turned out to be a spy, or something.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
What color was the sash that let everybody know you were not into having sex and you could not be found in the club? Anyway, I always wondered what Orwell was trying to say with the fanatical celibates.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

orwell wanted to cash in on the dystopia craze started by brave new world

it worked out pretty well, I guess

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

four legs good, two legs bad op

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

3rd leg best

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rand alPaul posted:

Apparently he went and hosed that lady in the woods and she turned out to be a spy, or something.

what a playa

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

You're supposed to get over yourself and love Big Brother.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Big Brother kills a lot of kulaks I am okay with it.

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
bang until you're free

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

There was a third world war, nukes, something, don't remember.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
Big brother always wins because he has set the board, and he owns all the chess pieces, and he gives not one drat about your comfort or what you hold dear.

It's a basic synopsis on the current state of politics, and is a chilling foretelling of Reagan's, and now, Trump's America!

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 09:12 on Jan 29, 2017

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A sturdy pair of boots is a good long-term investment

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

farenheit 1984 is how hot you have to get a book before it burns

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
BNW seemed like a utopia to me. 1984 is a better read though imho

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Concerned Citizen posted:

orwell doesn't actually give us any reliable history at all. one thing that foreign correspondents in nazi germany used to report is that even though they read foreign news every day, they would be so overwhelmed by the constant domestic propaganda that they'd have trouble keeping track of what was real and what was entirely fiction. so, too, is it the case in the world of 1984 - much of our knowledge comes from goldstein, who himself is likely a complete fiction invented by the state. outside of the actual events we witness in 1984, we have no idea what the world looks like.

Yeah for all we know outside of Britain the entire world is just trucking on like normal.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Uh, the dude explains the whole point in the big climax. It's the best part!

quote:

"Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives.

They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know what no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the black husserl posted:

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS loving GOLDSTEINIST!!!!!

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Never do a sex

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

Never do a sex

thot police

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The point is that totalitarianism sucks, op.

VikingSkull posted:

The people pulling the actual strings is a multiethnic party of people who just want power, it's explicitly stated that Amerindians from South America are a party of the Inner Party and so on; the former US is never blamed or really implied to be the head, because as just another part of Oceania alongside the former British Commonwealth it presumably has its own national rationale for Party leadership (Ingsoc is crucial in Britain there is no reason why it would exist as the Party's founding myth in the US - see the numerous regional forms of Communism that sprang up after Eastern Europe went under the USSR's umbrella).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F43DqnMoWi0

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

The book is utter shite mate

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

the black husserl posted:

will you stop quoting steve bannon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
soma from brave new world sounds awesome and i want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
there's a bit where he buys a drink for a really old prole guy to see if the guy remembers anything about the old world or how everything got al hosed up and the guys just like "I miss pints, why don't they serve beer in pints anymore litres are bullshit".

:britain:

• Locked thread