Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Who needs good plotting or characters when you have great ideas and genre-shattering style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It's pretty common in European (definitely French) writing, combined with guillemet dialogue tags. It can be very confusing if you're not used to it.

example posted:

The boy walked up and shook her hand.

«Good morning, said the boy. My name is Alphonse.

―My name is Géraldine, she said, and smiled. He was quite a good-looking boy.

―Do you come here often, Géraldine?

―Only for boring prose examples.»

Then he walked away.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 7, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Would you say I have a plethora of words?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

A dearth of paucity?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Chernabog posted:

I should of agreed with this but I know better.

"Should'f"

:eng101:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Question about dialogue and tense. Obviously, keeping tense consistent in a passage is important to ensure it's easily understood. But I'm in the process of writing a scene with a quick flashback to a relatively recent timeframe, and some conversation that happens in that timeframe, and I'm wondering what people think of using simple past dialogue tags as opposed to past perfect.

In other words, the scene is unfolding on a naval vessel, with two characters waiting to leave. While they are waiting, the POV character thinks about a meeting that happened an hour or so previous to the narrative. The bolded part is the flashback and the underlined verbs are some examples of inconsistent tenses.

quote:

“What about Otto’s people?” Virgil asked.

“They’re being debriefed now,” Buck said.

Once Virgil and Buck had been cleared by medical after landing on the Ponce, the ship’s commanding officer, Captain Walter McGowan, had brought them into his wardroom for coffee and a relatively gentle round of questioning. Within twenty minutes, though, a Blackhawk helicopter had arrived from Camp Lemonnier, this one carrying two men in khaki naval officer uniforms. They introduced themselves to Captain McGowan as Commanders Fanning and Giles, naval intelligence, and although the Captain outranked them both, they demanded to speak with Virgil and Buck alone. After voicing the requisite displeasure at being told what to do on his own ship, McGowan had relented and given his wardroom over.

The debrief had lasted approximately an hour, and by the end of it Virgil was exhausted. The two men in khaki uniforms weren’t naval intelligence at all, of course. They were CIA officers who identified themselves to Virgil as attached to the mission in Yemen, and they’d been hot to know what the gently caress had happened to their man in Crater.

“When did you get in country?” the one whose nameplate read "Giles" had asked Virgil.

“Today, actually.”

“We weren’t informed about any meeting with Intelligence today,” said Fanning.

“I only learned about it recently myself.”

“What did you and Metzger talk about?”

“I’m not at liberty to discuss that,” Virgil had demurred. Then they’d tried with Buck, who’d given the same response.

“Anything Metzger told you,” sniffed Giles, “you can tell us.”

“Sorry,” Virgil lied.

“Look,” said Fanning, "whatever clearance you think we need, we have."

“Not according to DD/CIA.”

At the mention of O’Brien, the two officers had exchanged a look that Virgil still couldn’t figure out.

“We’re trying to piece together what happened,” Fanning had gone on. “We’re reviewing intercepts, monitoring their social media. But nothing about the bombing anywhere. Yemeni government is investigating. Looks like nineteen civilians dead, including five al-Islah elders; forty-plus wounded. You guys are lucky you weren’t still in the building when the bomb went off.”

Now, down below inside the Ponce, Virgil thought back to that conversation and the fundamental wrongness he’d felt on hearing those words. At the time, it had just gone on top of the jumbled pile of information rattling in his head—one more factoid on top of a pile of puzzle pieces that didn’t seem to fit together. But now, standing in the belly of the Ponce, a picture was starting to coalesce.

This is a first draft and so this is how it came out. I know the simple solution is just to put all of the verbs in past perfect and I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm just wondering how this reads and generally what people think about tense in this context, especially where there are some actions that are actually taking place in the "present," but described in the flashback, e.g. "At the mention of O’Brien, the two officers had exchanged a look that Virgil still couldn’t figure out."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

No abbreviations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah that opening is pretty perfect for the point of the book. You should read it, it's good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If I remember correctly the next paragraph talks about him envisioning her brain writhing around like a bunch or worms or something. It's a pretty great setup to the whole premise of the novel.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Do you have any metroid fanfic

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

See the child.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Agent355 posted:

What do people think about character descriptions?

I hardly ever give real descriptions of the characters but many books I read seem to devote a paragraph to a complete description half the time somebody of importance is introduced.

Are they important? Are they best handled as a paragraph dump or just one or two interesting features mentioned to cement 'dirk diggler' as 'the guy with the pegleg' in the readers mind?

Is the description important for any reason other than describing a character's physical appearance? Is the appearance important to develop a character (any character) or the plot? Will the description be jarring to the reader if you wait until 200 pages in before revealing that your main character is in a wheelchair?

Spending a paragraph listing physical attributes when a character is introduced isn't worthwhile unless there is some other purpose. You don't need to paint a detailed picture of every character---if you give a good framework, your readers will do it for you and enjoy the process (and your story) more. That's my thought anyway.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

And I am done with my first ever novel. First draft is done at 88,324 words in 4 weeks.

Now to take a step back and see how poo poo it is. Wee

Congratulations! That's some serious churning.

Now put it away and do something else for a week or three before coming back to it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

PIG WHIP

WHIG PIP

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Balls so big my rear end shittin on em

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Naerasa posted:

The prompt is kind of weird because they're asking for a story but it's written like they want an essay instead. Also, they say they want a nuanced critique, but the whole project seems very pro-UBI in general. Is it a critique they want, or an affirmation of the theory? An exploratory essay or a fictional narrative?

I'll give it a try because I think it's an interesting prompt, but I won't be surprised if the winners turn out to be glowing non-stories about the greatness of UBI.

Seems like they are looking for people to come up with creative and unforeseen ways UBI can cause discord or problems in society, like a huge brainstorming session for them to springboard off of in their own research. Though their point of view seems clear:

quote:

Does my story have to be set in a basic income utopia?

No! In fact, much of our favorite sci fi is dystopic, and we understand that the conflict that creates can be attractive. However, we have a feeling that even if a basic income leads to a kind of utopia, humans will find a way to create drama and bring tension to a story. We think both utopias and dystopias have things to teach us.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I know when I am reading a book and come across an unrealistic description of fox-loving, it totally jolts me out of my suspended disbelief and I just can't keep reading.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Then the boy fox looked at Bobby and it was all matted fur and it said in a totally creepy voice, "Chaos...reigns"

HIJK posted:

Is this a scene from that Dafoe movie where the fox snaps its jaws at him in slow motion

Lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

DAMMIT what's the best way to say this in this order:

Is that grammatically correct?

I'm setting up the pacing - the confiding body language, then the word, and then the payoff that it's said in disgust.

How about this:

He leaned in close. "Actors," he whispered, in the same tone one might say "cancer" or "creditor."

E.

"From a time way before I came along."

I don't like the repetition of "long" and "along" but that's just me. Also depends on the voice of the character obviously.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

edit again: one last thing: WHAT do you call people who attend a funeral to pay their respects? Well-wishers? Mourners? Sympathizers?

Attendees?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Please don't use legal writing as inspiration. I'm sure there is some fine stuff out there, but the vast majority is clunky, passive-voice garbage.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

After 3 rejections (all some variation of "this is good but not for me") I finally got a request for a partial. Now onto writing some other bullshit while I wait for the inevitable, delicious rejection.

Cool man, good luck.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

edit: somebody explain me how the hell to do this without commas:

quote:

A dream like her, a lady who could easily win second or third at a beauty contest, stealing a kiss from the likes of me, an old dried-up sardine.

Or this:

quote:

Each went on insisting the other was a spirit, and neither looked entirely of this realm if you catch my pitch; her with her filthy nails and green teeth, him with his eye sockets as empty as a bone-dry bird bath.

I think number one is fine. If you want to avoid commas you could do this.

quote:

A dream like her—a lady who could easily win second or third at a beauty contest—stealing a kiss from an old dried-up sardine like me.

The second one I would do as crabrock says and rewrite it into two or more sentences.

quote:

Each went on insisting the other was a spirit. Neither looked entirely of this realm if you catch my pitch—her with her filthy nails and green teeth; him with his eye sockets as empty as a bone-dry bird bath.

If you must have only one sentence, then I think I would go with a full colon.

quote:

Each went on insisting the other was a spirit, and neither looked entirely of this realm if you catch my pitch: her with her filthy nails and green teeth, him with his eye sockets as empty as a bone-dry bird bath.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

quote:

"You are a spirit," she insisted, her nails filthy like a kid who just played in the dirt, her teeth green like when you don't brush your teeth for three or four days. "I insist."

"No," he rebuked, his eye sockets empty; empty as a bone-dry bird bath. "You--with your green teeth and dirty nails--are the one that is a spirit."

Both looked like something riding the vapors of a wet fart, if you catch my drift.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I don’t know that a single word will work there.

You have several phrases that can turn well in that sentence if it’s rewritten to accommodate them.

Despite the rigors of courtesy?
Despite the obligations of nobility?
Despite the rigid conventions of her status?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Are there any podcasts like the Writing Excuses one, with writers discussing the nuts and bolts of writing, off the cuff as opposed to reading scripts and not trying to sell poo poo?

I like those nerds and their discussions.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

The two big podcasts I listen to are Creative Penn and Print Run. CP does have some salesy stuff from the host Joanna since the podcast is apparently her primary job at this point, but she gets good guests and talks a lot about various subjects both as a writer and publisher.

Print Run is done by Laura Zats and Erik Hane of Red Sofa Literary (they are legit, very well-versed agents). They discuss some of the bolts of writing, but also have some good insights from the industry perspective, too, in terms of what they like to look for, where the industry is at, and interesting ideas floating around among writers.

revolther posted:

Not quite the same as Writing Excuses, but I like A Way with Words podcast/radio show, people call in asking about the origins of words/phrases/colloquialisms, it's great for word lovers and gives you a ton of oddball expressions to keep in your back pocket.

Thanks to you both!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

quote:

“An Islander?,” a Tribal exclaimed, “What would bring one so far south to our Northern lands?”

What

quote:

Whatever it was, it revealed in its victim’s pain.

Ah yes

quote:

Burying the dead men, he knelt and made a quick prayer to the One Above. He did not believe in the One Above, not anymore, but he wished it true and that men did not end at death.

One Above! I’ve never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it.

quote:

With speed that would put the fiercest wind to shame,

Wind that break from he own rear end; a shameful wind

quote:

Instead of the flat teeth of a dear, the mouth was lined with the fangs of a wolf.

Fangs of a wolf that make the bite marks of a deer.

quote:

Sebastian stood like a statute in defense of the child.

Glad to see these wild lands have been tamed by the rule of law.

quote:

The White Demon had took from them their happiness and family

Fool of a took

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Looking at his reflection in a grimy Jeep windshield is the only way Sergeant Flint Hardmeat can stitch up his own facial wounds.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/anna_mazz/status/978749557180977152?s=21

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sean-penn-bob-honey-who-just-do-stuff-review_us_5ab9a1bee4b008c9e5fa89a2

quote:

“Bob’s boyhood essence set him up for a separation from time, synergy, and social mores, leading him to acts of indelicacy, wounding words, and woeful whimsy that he himself would come to dread.” ― page 12

“Silly questions of cherries saved served to sever any last impression Bob might have had of Spurley as a serious citizen.” ― page 94

“There is pride to be had where the prejudicial is practiced with precision in the trenchant triage of tactile terminations.” ― page 125

“His dream’s desert daylight diffusion dictated disturbances in the void of visual detail.” ― page 142

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

On a whim, I started reading the Fifth Season by NK Jemisin. It's a good premise, and interesting, but...it's all in present tense. And one of the viewpoint characters is written in loving second person.

It's a struggle to get through. I mean I assume maybe there is a point to her writing this in second person present tense, but I don't see it. Even if I was a psychokenetic black woman lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sitting Here posted:

There's a point and it's really good, IMO.

I think present tense is fine, and having read a lot of short scifi, i see no reason to adhere to that guy's list religiously. Some of it is good to keep in mind, though.

Is the point something that is revealed later in the book, or is it just “you are part of the action, this is so immersive“

I’m going to stick with it, because like I said I like the premise and the writing otherwise. So far just seems gimmicky and distracting.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Thoughts on chapter length variability? I've got a slightly larger than average number of chapters, as my book is two parallel stories that hand off every-other-chapter, so on first draft I was trying to keep each chapter to ~2500 words just to limit myself and keep anything from getting too saggy. On second draft I'm giving myself a lot more room to breathe and just write the chapter at whatever length it should be, but I'm finding that some chapters are sticking around the ~2500 mark while others require more like ~4000 words. Is that an acceptable range, or are the longer/shorter chapters going to provide too bumpy a reading experience?

I think that's an acceptable range, but whether the read is bumpy depends on what is written in those chapters. Personally, since it sounds like you are jumping regularly between two totally different plotlines, I would aim for longer chapters. I think short chapters are less jarring when you are not changing POV or storylines between them, though if the two "parallel stories" are something like two POVs of the same events, then shorter chapters are less bothersome.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Before somebody (Butthead?) came up with fartknocker, it wasn’t a word. Makes you think.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Any male POV is going to notice boobs on a woman within 5 seconds of meeting her so not all that unrealistic for it to be the first thing described in that POV honestly

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Stuporstar posted:

Boobs everywhere. Everytime I went out in public, all these boob-havers were constantly in my face. I was a nervous wreck having to nagivate through this endless sea of boobs, especially when I knew, theoretically, they were attached to human beings with faces and thoughts inside those faces. Faces that turned angry when you stared into their much-more-important boobies too long. But mostly I couldn't see their faces, which was a relief, because when I did they were mostly angry. Like, how dare I notice they have boobs when I do not. Don't they know how lucky they are to have boobs? I mean, if I had boobs I would play with them all the time, be able to die happy in one endless self-tittyfuck. With boobs you can get all the sex you want. All you have to do is flaunt your boobs. I mean, they don't even have to work at it, because even through a thick sweater, I could still see the boobs. When a woman walked by, every part of her turned transparent, except for her boobs. Even if she had really tiny boobs, boobs is all I could see, they were just smaller and easier to miss in a crowd of bigger boobs. But if they were the only boobs around, my eyes could settle on them ok. Sometimes, but only sometimes, a woman would walk by with a butt that outdid her boobs. I like to thing I'm a man of equal opportunity, but mostly it was boobs boobs boobs. My penis was constantly rock hard and it was torture.

—Diary of an Incel

Lol

Sorry if the joke wasn’t obvious enough

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Terrorforge posted:

2 and 3 are pretty closely related. Unless it's explicitly (and I mean explicitly) stated otherwise, a lot of people will assume every character is a white heterosexual man. e: myself included. i try not to, but that poo poo's rooted deep

It's particularly hilarious impressive in regards to the "heterosexual" part, because short of actual on-screen gay sex there is absolutely no level of same-sex intimacy that people will not hand-wave away as "just friends" or "haha funny joke", up to and including explicit declarations of love.

I think most white heterosexual guys do this. Maybe most people in general, because it’s easy. A while back I posted about reading the Fifth Season/Broken Earth books, by NK Jemisin, and they are probably the best books I’ve personally read as far as having interesting, diverse characters both racially and sexually, and there is never any specific description of someone as “black” or “gay” or whatever. They’re really well written and I recommend them to anyone looking to see an example of it. Also they’re just good books in general if you like SF/fantasy.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ugh, I said to myself in a relatively high-pitched voice with a high rising terminal. I can’t seem to find a shirt that fits loosely on my bust.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Wait, if you post about boobs in there, does that require you either have them or have touched one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’m glad for the titty description, and also the anus