Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

quote:

Jonson passed bad-tempered guardian cleptoraptors on his way to the camp. Crossing a seemingly endless stretch of Middleclass ex-territory on his bicycle, he spotted them crouching among the abandoned villas and houses. Jonson wears a carefully designed scent for them to pick up, and he could see the cleptoraptors raising their antennas, sniffing to deduce if Jonson was a threat or just a mere distraction as they searched for Middleclass loot in the ex-suburb, or for representants from The Arm to harass.

Real quick because I'm leaving for work. You have some tense disagreement here 'Jonson wears... he could see...' and that second sentence is hella long. Some people hate that. I don't really mind it but it's definitely something to watch out for. Also 'representants' isn't a word as far as I know, you'd say 'representatives', if that's even quite the right word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

No, the fiction police will find out and stop you!

The fiction police is Doc Klock.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sounds a bit like The Littlest Hobo and for that reason I dig it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

kaom posted:

The kind of thing I’m trying to do:
Or, on its own line:
I think the second option has more impact, but if the asides are very short it starts to look weird to have them all split out. I’ve been struggling with this for a while.

Honestly so long as every person's dialogue is on a new line, I think you should do whatever lends the most clarity. Clarity is the thing. The only way to know if whatever you're doing is distracting will probably be to ask other people to read it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

One time in Thunderdome I got the assignment 'base your story on Tomb of Horrors' - it was lucky, I got the special one - and I had to read the whole thing, never had before. It was fun to write fiction about but I would have imploded trying to run it for a group.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

I have a ton of what I believe to be legitimately interesting ideas and I have absolutely no idea how to translate them into the written word, let alone a narrative. This is something I used to be good at and I don’t know exactly how or when, I got in my own way, creatively. It’s incredibly frustrating and makes me feel like a fraud.

The answer is drugs, right? I’m willing to skip over journaling and writing exercises and get right into drugs.

Just start doing it however badly. Write your ideas down even as bullet points. Write the lovely version as a stepping stone to the good version.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

The OP post comes across as incredibly combative and, honestly, unappealing. I’m sure everyone involved is more adult, nonetheless.

Edit: that sounded harsher than I meant it to. I find most of life unappealing.

It’s a sort of thread injoke to make it feel less harsh when someone says ‘I’m sorry mate but your story really is terrible’.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sorta tickled by 'oh you think creative endeavour is worthwhile? Guess you're rich'. I'm poor as hell and I learned to paint anyway

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah, it's a snarky expression of concern, not intended to be a pisstake. At least I didn't read it that way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

That’s either low reading comprehension skills or a lack of depth and breadth of literary exposure.

Yeah you got em all right, that'll be what it is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You could start by seeing what sources are cited in the Wikipedia article about whatever it is, and try tracking those down. Or head to a community that knows about Thing and ask them. Depends what sort of thing you're after.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Quite a lot of readers genuinely don't really care about prose, or can't tell good from bad. There's no real way to talk about it without sounding like a terrible snob, though. But look how many people read and enjoy Dan Brown. I'm fussy as hell when it comes to prose.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

nah gently caress commas I love his stuff.

Though I got told off in thunderdome more than once for my run-on sentences

e: talking about Cormac McCarthy

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I don't think you should use a real language to suggest alienness.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Honestly reading that paragraph I just looked at the text I couldn't read long enough to know I couldn't read it and skipped to the next word I *could* read. It could have been anything.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nae posted:

Every time you need some dreamlike, unintelligible speech, just find a video of the Sims talking and transcribe their surreal gibberish as best you can. It’s the most perfect ‘not-quite’ language I’ve ever heard.

commonts nala?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

samcarsten posted:

I feel like an imposter writer because all I write is fan fiction.

I mean if you want to write other things then do, but don't stress it imo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/clarkesworld/status/1625982159856041985

As if getting noticed in the slush pile wasn't difficult enough already.

It's a worry but the author of that article doesn't seem to think it's a critical problem just yet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Welp I guess I'm never getting onboard. :smith:

No reason to assume that. Your stuff is definitely better than the trash the chatbots are spewing. They'll find ways.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

If half the people don't mind it and *you* like it then I say keep it, at least for now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I remember during one very dull MST3K movie Tom Servo announced darkly "The plot thinnens!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Is it like a brand new medicine that's only available in a couple of places? If it's already being widely used then there wouldn't be one place you could go to and get all of it. Is your story set in modern day? Can you bullshit a reason it's only in one location, like it's super experimental?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

In his book on writing, JMS had a fun cheat for this. If you are having trouble with a voice or keeping it consistent, he says to just imagine a favourite actor playing the role/character.

This is what I always do. Casting the story is so fun. And nobody can stop you putting Jeffrey Combs in everything.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I mean that's what Jean Auel does for Stone Age civilisation and for some reason I find those almost addictively readable.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Leng posted:

Brb gotta go rewrite the end of my current WIP so EVERYONE can fly.

Now what do I do the antagonists can also fly

well how many health potions does the protagonist have left?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ither posted:

I've been trying to write a book since high school.

I'm in my 30s, and my life is stable now, so it's time to give it another shot. Especially if the AI revolution is coming.

I started chapter one today. I usually write in Courier New, but for this attempt, I'm using Comic Sans.

Yay, write that poo poo imo, write the hell out of it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

gently caress yeah. My favourite book is Always Coming Home which is at least two-thirds 'whale facts'.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah, that sounds like something a proofreader or copy editor can sort out for you. More important to get the writing done.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I found getting medicated helped me to do creative things. I spend less time in executive function paralysis these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mirage posted:

If y'all don't mind, I have a blurb I've been messing with for so long that I feel like I've lost objectivity. I think I need a few more eyes on it before I begin sending it to agents.

The name of the book is Celebrity Isekai! With Your Host, Wulfgar Bloodraven.

Are you intending that people should think of Jamie Oliver? Because people are going to think of Jamie Oliver.