Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

beep-beep car is go posted:

Note: Mac has a good keyboard now. If you’re shopping used, the “butterfly” keyboards from around 2015 to 2019 were very very bad. Apple.

Seconding this, an M1 Macbook Air or whatever will be $500-$600 and has an amazing keyboard and battery life. I'm a Mac skeptic but dang they're nice writing machines. I have a gaming desktop but use my work-issued MBP when I'm out and about at cafes etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Djeser posted:

I think it's the Thinkpad T/P/X models that are Lenovo's business offerings, and there's Dell...Latitudes?

A new basic Dell XPS 13 (2023 model) will run you like $600 bucks, they're cleaning them out in a fire sale to make way for the updated versions with the stupid cramped keyboard layout. They're pretty good for basic productivity and writing but 13" is too small for my tastes nowadays

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

sebmojo posted:

still stalled halfway through exordia because of all the pov shifts tbh

I'm kind of having this problem with Chain-Gang All-Stars, I want to get through it but every time I put it down and come back to it I have to back up a bit because of how often the narrative jumps around.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cephas posted:

I have a short story that probably needs one more draft of meaningful revisions before I'll feel comfortable sending it out for submission. Do yall normally just let it sit for a while so you can gain some distance from it, and move on to work on your next project? Or do you hold off on starting something new until you're totally done with what you've been working on?

Put it aside for a month and just read in your genre. A fresh set of eyes and some time to think about structure and what’s shown or skipped over will give you some perspective on what to adjust

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Waffle! posted:

I think I'm a bit of both plotter and pantser. I have a skeleton of a plot, but it's muddy in the middle and I'm not sure about the ending yet. I have cool scene ideas for later in the story, it's just figuring out how to get my characters there.

Rose and company find a secret travel network used by criminals that cuts through monster territory. Black Fox's cursed hand sparks and triggers the security gates, separating him from Rose and Rathus. A new carriage arrives, and while the manifest says 4 people, BF detects 6.

Writing out a bad draft is a great way to figure out how to salvage a mushy middle. I'm having the same issue in my first draft that I just finished, but I realized strengthening character relationships and intertwining side character motivations + their individual stories is a great way to get over that. The way I picture it is that you have roots at the start of the story and end of the story stretching towards each other, and a bad middle section will leave them hanging