Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'll add that a lot of writers around here prefer to give feedback on existing prose rather than pure ideas. I can only speculate about why this is true for others, but for my part, I don't want to put thought into a story someone may or may not write. I'd rather support fellow writers by giving feedback on actual words on the page. Ideas are cheap, execution is priceless.

Also, if you're just turning on the tap of creative writing, you might have to let a lot of gunk flow out first. Something I've noticed is that new or returning writers are full of big ideas that they're not really equipped to execute on (though there are always exceptions!). So as people are saying, it's important to just start writing badly, knowing that you're making sort of an investment in future, better writing. Sucks but it's true.

That said, people have certainly used this thread to discuss their ideas and I would welcome a reasonable amount of that sort of thing.

Stuporstar posted:

I also call my first drafts “draft 0” because a lot of it is written more like a long synopsis than actual words that are gonna make it into the actual story. When I get to my actual first draft, I rewrite everything from almost scratch

draft 0 buddy checking in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Man, y’all can be almost inspiring at times.

Is draft 0 basically just a fleshed-out outline? I found myself wondering how lengthy it gets versus draft 1.

Draft 0 of my current novel was a chapter-by-chapter stream of consciousness that was sometimes a summary and at other times snatches of dialog and description that seemed cool. I basically wrote the entire book out as if I was explaining it candidly to a friend over beers. I've changed many things since then, but it was fun to just chuck every idea into the pot and see which ones simmered in an appetizing way.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hey guys, I hate to interrupt this bullshit but as promised back in August we're doing a :siren: contest and submission rush :siren: to Flash Frontier.

If you have the time and energy to write 250 words on WONDER, please jump in.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Battuta is correct, but I'll add this: Marsupial Ape, I don't think you are understanding why people are frustrated with you, or the detrimental effect you're having on this discussion space. As such, I'm going to ask you to refrain from posting here for at least a week. I'm not going to use buttons right now because we're all adults here, but if you come back before a week is up, it's going to be a probation. That shouldn't be a huge problem for you because you seem to think we're all stupid! Perhaps you can use this time to find your intellectual equals. Any other discussion on this matter should be directed to my PMs.

Everyone else, replies to Marsupial Ape stop now, unless you want to crit their story or respond to this specific question:

Marsupial Ape posted:

Does anybody use mind-mapping as a tool for plotting, brain storming? I was recently Re-introduced to the concept. I won’t even reply, just assume I appreciate the input.

The protagonist of this thread is writing. It will always be writing.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
2022 was all about creating sustainable writing discipline and learning how to write through significant life stress. I'm pretty satisfied where I'm at with my current novel, though it's progressing slower than I'd like. On the other hand, I feel pretty happy with my overall writing journey. My goal has always been to be able to write a publishable novel by the time I'm thirty-five, and I just turned thirty-four this year. I think I'm on track.

I chose thirty-five because one time, ages ago, I saw a contest for "young writers," where "young" was anyone under thirty-five. I don't think that's especially common, but it put the whole craft of writing in perspective for me. I realized I'd enjoy writing a lot more if I let myself be a beginner at it for a very long time.

I also came to the conclusion that publishing doesn't hold much appeal to me. There are some amazing authors out there publishing super important work (trad pub and self-pub!), but it seems very stressful. In terms of pure enjoyment and satisfaction, I've gotten way more out of trading crits with people on this website and discussing writing with the friends I've made here than I'd ever get from the publishing hustle. On a more philosophical level, I feel like storytelling is a really old and important human tradition and mixing it up with capitalism has produced a lot of stress and anxiety in the storytellers of our time. I love the authors who, because of publishers/publishing platforms, have a platform to tell amazing and important stories. I hate to see so many skilled writers contorting their stories to match whatever is marketable. I think it's incredible when people pull it off, and I'm grateful to know a bunch of people who've had success in their market of choice, but from the outside the whole process looks really demoralizing and sad. idk though because I've never been a famous author. I'm sure aspects of it are in fact very cool.

overall I'm hyped for 2023 and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this novel turns out :v:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I kind of want to change the thread title for the new year. Any ideas?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

DropTheAnvil posted:

Maybe a simple title:
Fiction Writing Advice & Discussion: Save the draft

OR
Fiction Writing Advice: Read more, Write more

One thing I have noticed is that new people are confused about what we can or cannot post here (Myself included). There was some meme tumblr posts, some workshopping posts, and the response was to make a new forum thread. These are things that can generate discussion if used in the correct social group, which is why I think there was some confusion over what is or isn't allowed. Maybe drop the discussion part of the title?

The thread is in fact full of all sorts of discussion! I've asked one person to limit the number of memes they post, and generally speaking if you want a deep dive on a novel or story, it's beneficial to dedicate a thread to it or put together a writing group with people who are willing to do critique. Both memes (in moderation) and workshopping are allowed in this thread, always have been, and always will be. Sorry if that's been unclear, though I definitely see discussion happening on a daily basis so I'm not terribly sure it makes sense to drop 'discussion' from the title.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

rohan posted:

Read, write, crit, have crisis of confidence and wallow in self-pity regretting every decision you made until this point, repeat.

Going with a slightly truncated version of this :v: I like the simple directness of it.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Does this subforum have a discord btw?

There isn't an official CC discord, no, but one of the biggest writing discussion space is the Thunderdome server. You don't need to do or care about Thunderdome to join! There are plenty of writing discussion spaces for novels, worldbuilding, and critiques.

https://discord.gg/GMCB8nCc

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Really? When I joined it a few years back, I got asked to leave because I had no interest in doing Thunderdome. Maybe I'm thinking of a different one.

Sounds like that was probably back in the old IRC days! In any case, these days we welcome all goon writers.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
the plot winnowing

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Since I know most people stick to their bookmarks, I'm going to spam the busier threads with a link to the CC feedback thread

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
There is a NaNoWriMo thread for those who are interested in participating!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Chillmatic posted:

Ok.

After reading your amazeballs query, a publisher isn't going to kick down your door and present you with a retroactively binding contract you've never signed. Paying lawyers in anticipation of a vanishingly-likely situation isn't how I'd do it, but it's your money.

I don't mind if people are a little assholeish in this thread, but in the future please do not be *this* much of an rear end in a top hat. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
POV swaps are great. I’m a boring idiot. I would love to see life through like five different POVs