Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Awesome OP, Dr. Kloctopussy. I have one contribution I've been sitting on a while. I moved it from Dropbox to Imgur so anyone can throw it up when needed.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Jagermonster posted:

Currently reading Handmaid's Tale and the first person present tense is very off-putting. The book has wonky rear end prose in general. What the gently caress is this yoda-rear end sentence in chapter 2: "Late Victorian, the house is, a family house, built for a large rich family."

That's stream-of-consciousness style writing. I find myself doing it sometimes when I write a difficult scene in first person, and have to decide after whether I want to smooth the sentence out or leave it choppy, in the way a character in shock would try to piece their thoughts together. Yeah, it can be off-putting until you get used to it (so if I do use it, I use it minimally, for impact). I thought in the Handmaid's Tale it was pretty well done—it gave me the sense the protagonist couldn't shake off the shock at her new hosed-up reality.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 28, 2017

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Jagermonster posted:

awww crap, this is one of those?

hated reading Faulkner in school

funny how stream-of-consciousness writing results in the exact opposite style of reading in that you have to reread the same passage multiple times to figure out what the gently caress the author is talking about

It's probably one of the most readable entries in that style. If you're already past chapter 2, you pretty much already know what you're in for.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Pardon the double post, all.

Is this the one you're talking about?
http://channel101.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Structure_101:_Super_Basic_Shit

It seems like a good, loose structure to kind of use as a course-correcter while discovery writing.

Ok, but what if your story ends up more like this?

1. A character is in a zone of comfort,
2. But they want something.
3. They enter an unfamiliar situation,
4. Adapt to it,
5. Get what they wanted,
6. Pay a heavy price for it,
7. Enter a totally loving freaky situation. Oh gently caress, what's going on?
8. Fuuuuuuuuuck! (character ends up changed into something they don't want to be)

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Naerasa posted:

If there's nothing to hint at 7 and 8 earlier on in the story, then it's likely to be a pretty unsatisfying ending. A lot can work if you set it up right, though.

This is why I've had so much trouble with the beginning, having completely rewritten it from scratch several times over, every time starting with a different scene to try to set the right tone. I want to set up the right reader expectations from the start, because if I set the wrong ones, it's gonna piss people off. Especially since there's a strong romance arc, and there's sure as hell not gonna be a happily ever after. I finally said gently caress it and just started the story with an epistolary aside saying, "By the way, I'm not dead. Something much worse happened..." and going from there.

I really hope my beginning doesn't suck this time around. I'm getting sick of ripping it up and starting over.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I just write scenes in whatever order they come to me, even if they're for a different novel entirely. I have the basic outlines done for six of them, and totally lovely rough drafts for four and a half. If something's hot and ready to be written, I don't dare say no. If it's a choice between words on the page or stalling because you feel bound to linearity, words on the page is the way to go.

Of course this is why I have half a novel done (the lovely draft doesn't count) and yet I'm repeatedly trying to figure out where the beginning is.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 26, 2017

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Burkion posted:

That was my plan, yeah.

Jesus I just want to jump back on it, or move on immediately to the sequel.

I had briefly considered combining books 1 and 2 together, because they follow one another on a lot of levels, but the combined page lengths would be well north of 600 and I don't think anyone is going to want to look at that even if it wasn't poo poo.

I just have this overwhelming urge to write more that I have to temper now because I REALLY need that space to contextualize what I already have to properly edit it

Jump onto the sequel then, and once you have a first draft of that, go back and edit the first. That way you get the right amount of distance and maybe even some more idea about what to edit to make the first book match up better with later developments.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Okua posted:

Here's some venting: Coming up with titles is haaaaard.
Is it even possible to come up with a fantasy title that doesn't sound cliche as hell.

Avoid X of X titles for a start. Every hack writer trying to capture the same feel as Game of Thrones have beaten that poo poo into paste.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Thranguy posted:

Nah, the people chasing Eddings readers beat it into paste; the people following Jordan beat it the paste into dust, and the Martin followers are beating it to atoms and quarks.

(And X of Y where Y stays the same for at least a few books was an established formula even earlier. Shanarra/Gor/Dray Prescot)

Yeah, this is far more accurate than what I said.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Seriously, check all this poo poo out:
Name of the Wind
House of the Scorpion
Sword of Destiny
Six of Crows
Wheel of Time
Lord of the Rings
Tale of Two Cities
Count of Monte Cristo
Stranger of a Stanger Land

Edit: 30 minutes later remembered my working title right now is Amulet of Air :lol:

A third of those were written before it was cliche though (and another third of them are garbage).

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 28, 2017

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I detect a new Thunderdome theme in the making.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

CantDecideOnAName posted:

It's been sitting, mostly, while I write other stuff. I reread what little I have of the third draft yesterday so it's been on my mind again. It's been hard to get back into it for a number of reasons- plotting, pacing, tightening up characters- and I can't seem to get my thoughts in order. I've actually been thinking of doing the post-it note method to try and get things ironed out but I'm leery of trying that until we get moved into our new place, and I want to use the deadline of Nano to push myself into actually writing the drat 3.5 draft but before then I have to have things plotted so that I know where I'm going. I still have some really good emails saved from- what, two years ago? (Three? Jesus.) that I'm using as my current basis for reworking but it'll be a lot easier if I have someone sitting down with me and talking it out chapter by chapter. Whatever. That's probably editing and I'm getting ahead of myself.

I've tried rewriting Star multiple times but every time I try I get overwhelmed and go immerse myself in writing new stuff instead. I'm honored that you remember it.

I still think Blue Star has a wicked cool premise. I hope you keep at that one, but if you're writing new stuff, that's awesome as well.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

Last week I researched "tell a better story" and it's all about characters. If your story feels flat, it's probably weak characters. When I try adding wants/needs/quirks into characters, it reads like I'm just forcing things, painting by numbers.

Try reading more non-genre fiction that relies almost exclusively on character to make the story interesting, and pay attention to the details the writer uses to flesh their characters out. I also copy out story passages when they grab me, to try to steal their mojo, and write down my own experiences as well, to later mine for character details. That's what I've been doing, for a few years, and it's now way easier for me to figure out how my characters would react to something strange (in an SF setting) without feeling forced or predictable.

It's not enough to figure out character drives and flaws. What about all the seemingly inconsequential things they like or dislike, have strong (possibly stupid) opinions on, and so on? Lumping those things into a list of "quirks" isn't enough—if you stop there, it's definitely going to come off as forced. If your character is, say, really into pink or some poo poo, coming up with deep-seated reasons for their stupid color obsession (that has little bearing on the plot, but is still essential character detail) is part of the fun of writing.

I've been sadly disappointed by a lot of contemporary SF because the plots clip along so fast I'm not given any time to get to know the characters enough to give a poo poo. It's like their editors are too eager to hack the story to the bone, cutting every detail that doesn't service the plot. The last book I read like that, I knew exactly what I was supposed to be feeling in every scene, but wasn't actually feeling it. There wasn't enough breathing room for me to find a place to land and settle into the story, so I ended up hovering above it a passive observer with no emotional stakes in what I was reading.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 6, 2017

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Echo Cian posted:

Read More, Write More is good basic advice but there's more to it than just that if you actually want to get anything out of it. Plenty of people read and write a lot, but only copy the things they read without understanding why they liked it beyond "dragons are cool!" and don't improve because they don't know how to analyze the content (and, usually, react to even gentle criticism like you murdered their puppy).

It involves asking questions such as: Why do I like this, why do I not like this, why does this sentence flow well when this one clunks, why is this character cool while I groan whenever this other one shows up, what was so engrossing that I was up all night reading, why am I so bored with this that I'd rather clean the entire bathroom than continue?

Might help to write all that down, too, but probably not while you're doing whatever you're doing.

That's something I forgot to mention. When I copy out passages I like, I write a paragraph below about why it grabbed me. I'll sometimes reread the same passage in a year or so and maybe write another paragraph on whether or not it holds up out of context. If I loved or hated a book, I'll write a short review and send it to a friend of mine who enjoys my bullshit.

I chew through one book after another, averaging 3 a week, so if I don't stop to reflect on them, they fall right out of my head. Even a book that's so mediocre my only reaction is meh warrants some effort to figure out why.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Self-pub seems more and more the way to go with a novel that's good but not considered saleable by an increasingly risk-adverse publishing industry. As for whether or not it's actually good, I'd say if you found a freelance editor (if you can afford it) who's worked on novels you can see are good, then hire that editor to help you make your poo poo good. What's the difference, really, between doing that and landing a publishing deal with a meagre advance, an overworked editor, and the complete lack of marketing so many new novelists actually get?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

What do ya'll do when you notice you're using a particular word too much? I keep shoving "especially" into my sentences, can't think of any word that works better. I finally checked the thesaurus, and not a single word in there has the right emphasis or works in the same context. It's driving me crazy.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Mrenda posted:

I'm agreeing with this. They sound natural and you put them in naturally but they don't add much unless you're going for a conversational style of prose. Even then, when you're going for a colloquial, naturally rambling style it's better to chose a few particularly standout sentences where their usage emphasizes the tone and voice than to shove them in everywhere.

This is the problem. I'm writing in a conversational 1st person, and my own conversational habits are slipping in. Trying to rearrange sentences like these often leaves me feeling like they're not colloquial enough, but I'm convinced eliminating them will make my narrator sound like a better conversationalist than my own lazy self.

I also have problems with "only" and "just." They're definitely more frequent than "especially" but the latter stands out in a particularly annoying way. I have to purge it before it leaps off the page like J G Ballard's chronic use of "pudenda." I only wish I could get hung up on a more interesting word like that.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Burkion posted:

I go with this.

You worry too much about your inflections invading your prose while you're writing, you'll never get anything done. You need to get the bones down before you can fuss with the meat.

I'm doing a complete rewrite, so the bones are already there, but there's so little muscle to my draft zero it's more like writing a proper first draft rather than a second. Yeah, I'm letting myself get bogged down on the sentence level too early and spending too much pissing around. I know this well by now, yet I have to keep being reminded. Stupid brain

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I found doing NaNo once valuable to help me figure out how fast I could write. at what quality, and what my mental and physical limitations were (I had serious hand pain after the first week). But I discovered writing that fast left me with such a garbage first draft, what I had written had to be rewritten from scratch, and it was full of holes so huge I couldn't even call my effort a first draft. After coming up with five novels worth of material that way, my time's better spent trying to work with what I have over trying to spin more poo poo out at that rate.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

Run-on sentences? Probably, but, but, but I feel like in first person, there's a rhythm that sells the character. Without those pauseable commas, it loses that magic.

Run-on sentences can be great.

Marlon James posted:

From A Brief History of Seven Killings:

The leather strap tears across my back, the tip landing on my neck like a scorpion stung me. I scream but the strap slice across my cheek again and then two times on the back of my leg and I fall. My father grabs my left ankle and yanks me to him, my skirt pulls up and my panties are showing. He grabs me with his left hand and beat me with his belt. I’m screaming and Mummy’s screaming and Kimmy’s screaming. And he’s beating me like I’m ten. And I’m screaming for Daddy to stop and all he’s saying is drat girl need discipline I going discipline you in the bombocloth house no Daddy please Daddy discipline discipline and he beats my bottom and beat it again again and I twist and the belt cuts my right thigh and he’s swinging and don’t care where he hit my knuckle when I try to grab the big leather belt with all the rivet because he love cowboy belts and I can smell my welts and screaming Daddy Daddy Daddy and Mummy screaming Morris Morris Morris and Kimmy just screaming and the belt cutting all over me and I twist and it hit me right in me pussy and I scream and Daddy saying discipline and discipline and discipline and he kicked me I know he kick me and he’s swinging and I’m struggling let go of me foot let go off me foot let go off me foot and I swing ’round and my right foot kicks him in the chest and it feel like and old man chest and he falls right back and coughs but it’s only the air not the sound and I still screaming no words just naaaaaah naaaah naaaaah and I grab the belt and I go over him and swing it on his legs and I beat him beat the son of a bitch, beat him beat him beat naaaah naaaah naaah naaaaah and my mother scream again don’t kill me husband don’t kill me husband and he’s coughing and I see that I was beating him with the buckle not the strap and turn and I tighten the belt around my knuckles and I look at Kimmy.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Condescention. It's exactly the word Jane Austen used for that kind of noblesse oblige attitude, but maybe the meaning has shifted too far into the negative, if that's not what you're going for. I already know it doesn't fit well in your current sentence.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah, we share like up to 8 pages, which is usually a chapter of a novel.

I just caught up with the thread, and someohne mentioned here doing characer sheets. I used to fill those out pretty religiously, and I had a sort of feeling of it not being very helpful, but I filled them out, because maybe it'll help. :shrug: Like, why does their favorite food matter?

I've used also the Myers Briggs types and Ash's guide to RPG Personality, though even those I'm questioning how much they are really helping me.

Thought one thing I've found helpful (and writers are surprised by this) is mining dating sites for questions. I made an account for OK Cupid just for this reason. I've also been havingt my chacters answer "never have I ever" questions, though I skip a lot of them.

Way back when I started out I tried using the character sheets I found in some book on writing, personality tests, whatever, and I had the same feeling. All that poo poo I filled out ended up being completely forgotten by the time got down to writing the story. It's just dog loving. Since you mention D&D, think of it this way: you don't really figure out your characters until you put them in play.

On the other hand, this can actually help:

I've tried those character sheets before when I just started writing, and they weren't very helpful. Recently I decided I needed to "get to know" a bunch of my characters, so I wrote interview questions. "What is something that irritates you", "what are you afraid of", "what do you want to be remembered for", that sort of thing. Obviously I'm working under the assumption that they would be willing to answer touchy questions because even if it's in character for them to say "gently caress off" and nothing else, it's not helpful.

I like this because it allows for exploratory writing and some wiggle room with details while hopefully keeping the core of the character intact. It's good practice writing their voice to have them answer it, and the fewer but more meaningful questions you have, the fewer things you have to keep in mind when writing.

I don't know if I ever posted this before, but taking the questions from this ridiculous article and using them to write interviews of my main characters gave me so much background material to work with I never had to fill out another dumb sheet for them again.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 18, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Foolster41 posted:

These are good questions. Thanks! This will maybe help me at least with Dog and Deer.

I guess the problem with "Boy of Two worlds" is, I don't even know where to start with creating characters, so I feel like I don't know how to answer questions like this.

I tend to focus on my central characters and let the rest radiate outwards from the main character's pov. I'm not sure if you're going for an ensemble cast or something more focused, because I'm not well-versed in creating the latter, but from a focused pov, you start with what your main character wants and figure out who they run into on their way to pursuing it. Fleshing those characters out, I usually save that for the second draft. Only then do I bother turning a stock character I threw in to give my main some conflict into a person with conflicting drives to make their interactions less cliche.

Unrelated, I have a question for people comfortable enough to share their early drafts with a trusted writing buddy. There's a person I trade early drafts with for mutual encouragement. So how do you be encouraging when that person's latest story isn't grabbing you without them detecting your sense of meh? I don't want to be discouraging because that's like the total opposite point in doing this, but I'm such a hypercritical rear end it's hard to turn it off, put on a fake grin and say, "Oh yeah, it's great!"

This is also a person who normally values my honesty and harsh crits, but is right now in a terribly fragile state.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 18, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Ask them how blunt they want you to be?

They've directly asked me to be gentle this time around. I just... I don't know how. My crits somehow end up being brutal even when I think I'm being nice. Whenever I try to use the compliment sandwich the compliments are two thin slices of tasteless white bread--the kind that form ugly little pills when you roll a pinch between your fingers.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah, I think that's the problem. I feel like individually they're not really opposed or really intact in any interesting way with the MC, and feel undersecretary. (Except maybe for one female character and the embarressing encounter at the public bath, but I have a vague idea of her personality). But at the same time, I feel like I need these characters to exist, because Laila would have friends, and I wanted to have other kidst o play this team-based sports game. Also, they are there to ignore him during the game to give t he main conflict.

But I feel like sitting down and going "okay, so what are each of these kids like" without them having any direct connection to the MC individually (and only as a group) is putitng the cart before the horse.

I guess after I wrote the first draft I was thinking of a sort of "sandlot"-esque ensamble of different kids, and after I figured out their personalities I could find ways they more indivisually interact with the MC.

You may be overthinking things. How much time is the MC (and story) hanging around these characters? It's ok to have background characters who aren't fully fleshed out, all depending on how many scenes they get. Impressions of them are going to be colored by the main character's thoughts about them anyway, so it's ok to make some one dimensional. Figure out which characters matter, focus on them, and don't worry about the rest. Unless it's an ensemble cast and you're spending the entire story with all of them, don't even bother giving them all names, because no one gives a poo poo.

I mean hell, I sometimes give characters names like Hurf and Durf (and only to differentiate them as I write). When my MC is say collared by a couple security guards. I'm not worried about Hurf's deeper desires or if Durf has a wife to go home to. I might have them interact with each other, have them chat about dumb poo poo if the MC is stuck in an elevator with them overhearing their work banter, but that's about it.

So if your character wants to play a team sport and is shut out by them, the most time off the field any of them might get is your MC overhearing their locker room banter. I usually draw from experience to make that kind of dialogue interesting, and that's half your job done right there. What I mean by that is I've had interesting conversations with people I was never close enough to care about—it was something to pass the time, at a bus stop, a dreadful party, with the plumber, etc. You may find these people all have interesting thoughts about life, but there's not enough time in a book (or your life) to get to know most of those people beyond those one or two interactions.

This is what I mean by focusing on your MC and radiating out from there. If there's only one or two points of contact, they only need one or two dimensions. Anything more is you wasting time not actually writing your story.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

What about something along the lines of "this one isn't grabbing me as much as the other things you have shown me, but I think it has potential. Especially (whatever good thing you can find in it). How are you feeling about it?"

If you've been doing this for a while, they probably already know it isn't their best work. In my writing group experience, I've found that sometimes talking about how I feel about what I've written, especially if I'm frustrated with it, results in 1) me getting a useful crit from myself, 2) catharsis that makes it easier to keep going (or realize it's time to work on something else). I've also realized that encouraging someone to keep writing doesn't need to be praising their work, but can a lot just be along the lines of "I'm looking forward to reading more from you." Based on what you have said, that seems to be a true sentiment, which you can express sincerely.

They're likely aware it's not great, and it's such an early draft I'm gonna curb my urge to crit and do exactly this. Thanks.

sebmojo posted:

In that case just say nice things. If that is a short list, that's not your fault.

It's an unfair position you've been put in, imo.

It's not really unfair. This person has read a lot of my barely-baked drafts and been exhuberantly supportive, especially when I was coming back from being derailed from horrible life poo poo and now they're going through the same thing. I'm trying to reciprocate.

Man, here's me realizing I came into the thread just to ask, "My friend's asked me to be nice, but I'm too much of a jerk. What do?"

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 19, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Naerasa posted:

- someone vomiting/making GBS threads/pissing/jerking off (apparently this is common enough in submissions that it needs to be said?)

Does the protagonist giving a blowjob count?

I'm kidding, when I did that I already knew it was a bad idea.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Naerasa posted:

Only if they choke on it and puke.

Lol, he did actually. Not the best idea if trying to establish some reader sympathy. I ended up scrapping the scene.

I don't know why, but I have this impulse to follow through on what I know are bad ideas, just to get them out of my system or something.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 20, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Ursula K Leguin's book on writing is on the Kindle daily deal today if anyone's interested.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Exactly. I'm not going to drop the five novels I've been working on for almost a decade just because Star Trek introduced the idea of a dude who can teleport AND see through time because he's symbiotically connected to an organic network that weaves through spacetime. Because who loving cares. My stories aren't a bit like Star Trek (and they're not even using the idea to its full potential), so I can carry on with the same idea happily knowing my story is uniquely mine no matter what resemblances there might be. Why? Because this one idea doesn't completely define my main character--there's so much more going on with him. I wouldn't have been able to plot six books around him otherwise.

So what if your idea might be "done before." No one cares about your Idea. The golden age of science fiction, where you could hack out some one-dimensional trash propped up by a single original idea--those days are loving over. Now you have to bring more to the table than your precious Idea. If you can't get over that, you've doomed yourself before you've even started.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 28, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Are you having a meltdown because I stole your cryogenic sleep idea?

lol you're not-all-that-original idea is safe to work on, dude

What I'm sick of is seeing Idea Guys pop up in this thread again and again thinking their ideas are so special they start whining when told their ideas don't count for poo poo

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I don’t really know what you’re getting all angry about. I never said that I had a great idea; I just want to know if there’s a way to check if something has been done before because I’d prefer this to be a unique premise. Chill out.

And we keep telling you that doesn't matter but the advice (to let it go) from everyone who's responded to you refuses to sink in

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Guiness13 posted:

Pretty sure Philip K. Dick beat both of you to the punch on that one.

lol don't validate this dude's wild defensive flailing by saying "both"

I'm pretty sure no one's gonna write another Ubik, even if they tried, and that's the point.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I thought he was talking about King's short story.

Just goes to show how ideas aren't special.

Or watching the world pass by in The Time Machine
Or the sensory deprivation chamber in Stanislaw Lem's Tales of Pirx the Pilot
Or the cryogentic chamber in Cixin Lui's Three Body trilogy

And he could read all those and go, "Nope, nope, not what I was thinking..." and if he were smart would come to realize his story is never going to be so like something already written that he needs to stress about it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

HIJK posted:

jesus dude, chill out.

Why do you assume I'm not chill? I was trying to tone it down to give good advice.

Do I need to change my avatar to not seem bitchy all the time or something?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

HIJK posted:

I have no idea who your avatar is but when you say this:

It is distinctly unchill when you insult the intelligence of someone with an innocent question. It isn't unreasonable for a newbie or a veteran to wonder about the creation of original ideas but it's so needlessly cruel to imply someone isn't smart just because they didn't come to this conclusion on their own. Considering how much variation there can be on even just one idea, it makes sense that someone might want to investigate how far that rabbit hole goes.

I don't know the guy's history maybe he has a habit of doing this exact same thing over and over and over but this is the writing thread. People ask questions about writing.

I meant what he needs to do to be smart, but yeah the italics made a nasty implication that he isn't and for that I apologise. I keep forgetting this isn't the Thunderdome and I'm no longer even in the Thunderdome

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Resting bitch poster.

I didn't read your post as flipping out on him, and look forward to emptyquoting the next time this comes up lol

lol I should've kept the Tina Turner av. It seemed to play better with my aggressive tone

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

So I've been grappling with a (probably stupid) problem for a while. That is what is a good way to write "thoughts" in first person perspective?

I just read about this in Steering the Craft of Story the other day:

Ursula K. Leguin posted:

Many writers worry about how to present characters’ unspoken thoughts. Editors are likely to put thoughts into italics if you don’t stop them. Thoughts are handled exactly like dialogue, if you present them directly:

“Heavens,” Aunt Jane thought, “he’s eating that grommet!”

But in presenting characters’ thoughts you don’t have to use quotation marks, and using italics or any typographical device can overemphasize the material. Just make it clear that this bit is going on inside somebody’s head. Ways of doing so are various:

As soon as she heard Jim shout, Aunt Jane knew Fred had swallowed the grommet after all.

I just know he’s going to swallow that grommet again, Jane said to herself as she sorted buttons.

Oh, Jane thought, I do wish the old fool would hurry up and swallow that grommet!

Now that's in third person, and a lot of lit fic I've read doesn't even bother to flag thoughts as thoughts if it's a tight third person limited. First person is even easier because you never need make any distinction at all. Go ahead and cut right into the narrative with your character's thoughts—that's what a good first person should be doing often anyway.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

To add to this, when you're writing in first person, also keep an eye out for redundant descriptors like "I saw", "I heard", "I felt", which add distance between the reader and the text and don't add anything (because in first person, everything is already "I...").

In first person I will sometimes use the phrase "I thought at the time" when the character is trying to justify past behavior on limited knowledge. Also, "I didn't hear" "I didn't see" etc. for similar reasons. I once even did this:

quote:

Hugh Bastard didn’t call, since I was already conveniently face-up, but I caught the motion in my periphery. I swear I heard the snap of its wings over the spray, but my mind may have edited that in. In an instant I knew what was coming. I rolled.

The splat hit the edge of the fountain, missing my head by centimeters. The evil parrot shrieked, “You bastard!” and flew into a row of bushes somewhere on the fifth floor. I could feel its eyes burning my face into its hyper-efficient pea brain.

One of my beta readers said they liked that touch, but maybe the fact they noticed at all it isn't the best thing. I dunno. My protagonist questions his senses frequently, for plot-critical reasons. I could also be breaking the no "I feel" rule in the second paragraph, but it's not a thing someone's supposed to be able to feel, more a hyperbolic turn of phrase—a cliche one maybe, but it's not a redundancy. "In an instant" could probably go too. When I go to edit I'll have to read both out loud to figure out which construction has better rhythm, which is more important than cutting everything in your draft to the bone. A lot is allowable in first person if it fits the character's voice, but it has to be a voice clear enough for people to want to read.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 30, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

crabrock posted:

the thing about doing stuff like that is, what's the point? I get really annoyed when i'm reading something and it's presented in the negative or it just didn't happen, such as "My eye almost twitched." it's just like oh cool, poo poo that didn't happen. tell me what else didn't happen. did you also not see any dogs? did your heart almost skip a beat? you're saying there that he thought he heard something...but he didn't. Ok? is thinking he hears flapping wings really that interesting? It's not to me. If you focused more on the "spray" (whatever that is), which is the ACTUAL SOUND that's being heard, it'd make for a stronger, more visceral scene imo.

The spray is from the fountain he's sitting by, which is context I didn't include in my post but is set in the story.

I get your point, which is why I need to justify it as crucial to the story, otherwise it has to go. Is it crucial he exaggerate the bird's flight as being more violent than it probably was, and admit he might be exaggerating? Do I do it enough to be annoying, or do these incidents subtley add up to him being completely unable to trust his mind near the end of the story? That's the kind of decision I have to leave until more beta readers have read it in context. If they call me out on it again and again, then yeah I'm probably loving it up and need to tone it down.

As to your hypotheticals, you wouldn't state the character didn't see any dogs unless he didn't see the dog that ripped his arm off, in which case not seeing it beforehand might be important. Maybe you wouldn't mention it before the dog rips his arm off, because that would telegraph it too hard, but have that be part of the character reeling from the blow—I didn't see it coming, WTF.

Your other examples, eye almost twitching, heart almost skipping a beat, are definitely lame poo poo someone would diserve to be slapped for. For one, those tics happen instantaneously and uncontrollably—they never "almost" happen, so it's the writer trying to be cute. "I didn't slap the fucker" is an entirely different beast, worth stating.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

crabrock posted:

yeah it depends a lot on context, i was just making a general point about when people try to get into somebody's head. i love writing first person cause you can say all sorts of weird poo poo and it's your character's fault :)

Yeah, I didn't mention how important context is in my first post, in terms of using "didn't see" or "didn't do" type constructions, and your examples were great cautions against doing it badly. Some general rules I've come up with since could be:

1. If a character fails to notice something, that anti-detail can be important, if that something blindsides them.
2. If a character doesn't do something, that can be an action in itself, so long as the character is holding themselves back from doing it.
3. If a character thought they saw/heard/etc. something, but it turns out they're wrong, that can be a useful misdirecton—but tread carefully with this one.
4. If you're using sensory verbs in unusual ways, and not redundantly, that can sometimes excuse them.

Edit: I just realized I included another one in that passage, when the bird "didn't call," which also has context I left out, because my character explains that's a thing the parrot usually did to get people to look up so it could poo poo on their faces.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 31, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

angel opportunity posted:

I know this is a really stupid question, but does anyone have some kind of cool method they use to spitball out character arcs? I'm trying to write something that is very character focused, but I'm actually really terrible at thinking up an interesting arc from scratch. I'm just thinking like some kind of exercise to get my brain working in the right direction. I write based on plotpoints, so I'd ideally be spitballing out like PP1 --> Midpoint --> PP2 or something similar to get a sketch of the arc out there

I kinda have the opposite problem, where character arcs spontaneously shoot out all over the place and I have trouble tying all the threads together. But how I come up with so many is I often have characters wanting things tangental to the main plot and let them sidetrack a bit. To try to flesh them out I ask what else do they want? Then I spend some time letting them pursue it before the main plot smashes all their little side projects.

Other times I try putting different characters in a scene together and seeing what sparks. Those usually end up in compost pile and rarely make it into the story without complete rewriting though.

My writing methods aren't exactly efficient.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Is there a specific character type you find compelling? Not necessarily an archetype, but the kind of person you think you could stick in any kind of situation, from shopping to flying a space ship, and come out with something you'd want to read.