Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
going to cons seemed like a fun infrequent activity i usually like those sorts of things but im also the kind of person that like stays away from dumb huge parties i just like learning and chattin and stuff. i even liked wondercon, but i went alone and only went to panels and stuff lol

a shame they suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DropTheAnvil posted:

Is there a more natural way to move discussion to other threads apart from pointing to a thread that hasn't seen a post in almost a year? Can you auto-move posts and notify users that the discussion has been moved to a different thread?

The other thing is, this thread gets way more traffic than other threads in CC. I've seen users posts their own thread and get no responses. They usually post here to to let people know.

i assure you even expensive forum or content management software cant do this

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yup, scriv + dropbox here.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Nae posted:

yeah, he thought he was really good at telling people stories but the people got so mad at him they murdered him, so the moral is dont ever tell stories

counterpoint everyone's remembered that guy for like 2000 years so i mean if you want a legacy...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i mostly read books for fun, but when i need to improve i specifically seek out books that do what im trying to improve at and just analyze bits and pieces.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i find that its good to know a lot of types of structures and ways to structure your novel so you can be like "ah this piece is missing compared to this similar structure" or "i want to scaffold my plot using this particular story." learning just one way of structuring is a fruitless task because you'll just write one story.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i did a lot of editing it was nice. good writing year for me.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sitting Here posted:

I kind of want to change the thread title for the new year. Any ideas?

the pens justify the memes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it feels more like prose is how you get judged by people who talk about and sell books and if your target audience is "people who read a lot of books" prose will matter a lot more than mass market appeal stuff.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i just wish the man would use a drat comma

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
AI is very good at making content fast and very little else

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
stage direction is fine if it does something for the story. blocking is good. just dont have meaningless movement or placement imo. you can usually kill two birds with one stone with these kinds of sentences. do something character driven in relation to an object/place in the scene.

character reminiscing through a window at an object outside: good and fine. they are distant from a thing. it tells you a relationship between character and object or place.

character looking through a window: this is not enough information. are they daydreaming? are they avoiding eye contact? i think this is more what this is in reference to.

character storms across the room to grab a knife: ah, they are becoming violent. excellent. stakes are raised.

character walks across the room: not enough info, again. all this does is modify the pacing of a conversation usually. do something better.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 23, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
posting this here because its most relevant i think:
https://gizmodo.com/google-says-itll-scrape-everything-you-post-online-for-1850601486

this should be markedly obvious, but AI companies are scraping all public info. google, however, updated its TOS to say anything it can access can be used to train AI models. so potentially hosting your work on gdocs for crits is potentially exposing your work for something like Bard to steal *before its even published.* if something like an AI text farm mill is using something like bard to generate a work, you are in potential danger of plagiarizing yourself because google (and other companies, but google owns stuff that youd potentially use) is using things you may not think are public as training data.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its 100% targeted at college students and people writing emails if thats the suggestion its going for lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Fiefdom? Domain?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
people just make poo poo up to be mad about. as long as it works who gives a poo poo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
for a pitch, snatch has like 15 shifting POV chars

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
my take on endings/epilogues is there generally needs to be momentum. the current thought needs to let the reader carry through the most important part of the story.

if two characters fall in love, if you show them making the next move in their relationship right after presenting a "will they/wont they" situation, the reader can fill in the blanks. it feels like the story is a slice of a greater reality.

a big reason the sopranos ending was a lot more controversial is because someone who is attentive to the work can piece together how a world without tony soprano works, but for anyone not thinking big picture there's no momentum from the final shot and you also need to be really attentive to the scene as well.

even a new status quo needs to maintain momentum. this is [character]'s new life, but their new life presents xyz challenges but because you know the character, you know theyll either adapt to or overcome those challenges. the place the characters are in must also feel like a natural continuity of what you saw before.

basically your story should feel like a road and your ending should not be a dead end, it should be a "Las Vegas, 27 miles" sign. how you do that isnt super important.

im sure theres good endings where this doesnt happen, but im having trouble recalling any that dont follow this pattern to some degree.

so an epilogue, imo, should not be mandatory to do this momentum work, but instead continue the momentum work that was already going or tidy up a lose end thematically but not from a plot perspective.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
who needs grammar or whatever this is the real fiction advice

(adhd meds helped me so much its unreal)