Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Great OP.

Since I have something to add: http://brenda-drake.com has a lot of resources and competitions for authors looking for agents (mostly in YA, but there are adult, middle-grade, and children's categories), as well as personal accounts from authors that contribute to the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Can everyone share their own strategies for writing dialogue? Besides stalking/wiretapping

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

anime was right posted:

i asked these too dude but no one responds to the actual questions and instead the insular trash.

how about this, how do people feel about information density? is it cool to thrust people into buzzword city so long as it makes sense as you continue to read? do you think its better to introduce elements slowly at the cost of lengthening your pace?

This is one of those things that comes down to writing style and it's usually a mix of both. For me, I'd rather define the setpieces that are central to the story and let all the ancillary stuff be figured out with context clues.

Buzzword City was basically how I felt about Dune when I read it fwiw and it didn't end up mattering because Herbert was able to make it feel natural, so do what you feel like you can pull off

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

After The War posted:

Are you sure you weren't reading one of those books of different haircuts they put out in barbershop waiting areas?

was it written in a clipped tone of voice

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

feedmyleg posted:

Who are some YA authors that have really great prose? I know there's no universal good style and everyone has their own strengths, but I'm looking to improve mine in various ways for an edit of my book and want some various inspirations.

Jacqueline Woodson, Sandhya Menon, Leigh Bardugo, Angie Thomas, Meg Medina, Jason Reynolds, Daniel José Older, Neal Shusterman, and of course Tyra Banks.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Covok posted:

I've been dabbling with an LGBT+ erotic novel. How do you make sex not boring? Because, sex is kind of monotonous activity that is only good when you're like doing it. I've tried a lot of metaphors and textile descriptions...and fetishes...but I think it's kind of boring. Anyone got any advice on how to write that kind of stuff?

My best advice is to not be afraid to experiment re: onomatopoeia.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hmm. You all make good points. What would be the plural of it?

“it’s”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Safety Biscuits posted:

Don't do this to non-native speakers, thanks.

I apologize.