Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Somewhere in the last thread, there was a link to a list of expressions and phrases and physical cues that convey different emotions with showing instead of telling, and I didn't bookmark it. Anyone have that still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

You're probably thinking of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Emotion-Thesaurus-Writers-Character-Expression/dp/1475004958

I'd be wary of relying on things like this too heavily. Substituting someone else's observations for your own is bad practice and likely to result in clichés. Like..... Please don't only use that Rural Setting Thesaurus to write about nature. :gonk:

Yeah, this is just for when I get stuck. Thank you for the link.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

What's everyone's thoughts on spicing up dialogue tags? One person in my writing group says I use "he said" too much. When I try to throw in "he replied/he asked/he interrupted/he shouted" etc., another will tell me I need to stick with "he said."

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

How do you guys decide where to put in chapter breaks? Good cliffhangers or ends of scenes? How much variance in chapter length is too much?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Trustworthy posted:

I write pulpy poo poo, but I always try to make sure my chapters include three things: 1.) An element of progress along the main story arc (An old mentor teaches Barack about Sauron's secret weakness: love). 2.) A smaller arc that's started and completed within the chapter, even if it's fairly insignificant (Barack orders a P'zone, it arrives!). 3.) A cliffhanger or mystery at the end that compels readers to keep reading ("What's this diamond ring in my P'zone?" perplexedly asked Barack.).

I almost always plan these three things before I start writing a chapter. When I've gotten them all on the page, chapter's done.

That's very helpful, thank you! :)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I tend to write past as "present, but 10 seconds ago,"

Like, you put the word "just" before every verb?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Guys I'm about sixty thousand words (hope to end at 110k) into a fantasy novel. I've avoided a bad name like the ones listed above, but what else should I avoid? Mine involves dragons, which makes me feel a little like a hack, but I'd like to avoid other huge offenders.

What do you hate most about fantasy, basically?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

don longjohns posted:

Now if I could just get that voice that keeps saying, "You're never going to finish this. Just give up you idiot. No one can teach and write a book at the same time," to shut the gently caress up I'll be in great loving shape.

Give that voice the name of someone you hate. Then just say "Shut up, Jeff!" (or whoever) and it'll feel good and right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Ither posted:

I usually write in Courier New, but for this attempt, I'm using Comic Sans.

Mods!?