Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So I got Scrivener for writing and so far I love it, but I've got a bit of a problem- it keeps underlining every single word as misspelled, no matter what. Google's not helping me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Why'd you turn me Scottish :v:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

These directions might be a little off for you, because I use Scrivener for Mac.

Check your language preferences:
Preferences -> corrections -> system text preferences -> text

I have a drop down menu there under spelling: that has a language selection drop-down. Mine is set to "Automatic by Language" and works fine, but try setting it specifically to the language you are using.

You can turn off all spelling check:
Preferences -> corrections -> spelling

Not ideal, but better.

If neither of these work acceptably, email customer support.

This worked like a charm, thank you. For some reason it was set to russian???? I don't even use Russian. :psyduck:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

why do I use so many commas

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

what're the main differences between a western and a southern gothic? besides the obvious more rooty tooty point n shooty of a western, I mean. I'm writing what I'd tenatively call a southern gothic, but other people are calling it a supernatural western. Not sure what the gently caress to label it. I feel like I should have some kinda label on it, for when I finally get the drat thing done so I can pitch it to the right publishers

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thank you- then I guess it's kinda a hybrid? It's mostly exploring how authority corrupts and why law doesn't equal justice, but there's not a ton of shooting (yet) or explorations of might=power. I don't know. My beta readers were calling it a western but they're not trained in literature or anything, they're just nice peeps who are beta reading for me.

I'm gonna need a copy editor and developmental reader later on, but I don't think that's gonna be for a while yet.

I'm averaging about 1,000 words a day/writing session. Is this low? It seems like I should be writing more but 1,000 is all my brain will poo poo out before it decides to stop with the ideas.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

that's actually super interesting, and once you're off work I'd love to hear more about genre. I'll admit I'm a fairly new writer- and while I'm a voracious reader, I never really studied genre in depths until very recently once I decided that drat it, I'm writing a book.

the setting is this:

supernatural southwest, magic is a thing that exists, but not a ton of people can use it. spirits/ghosts are a well known thing and the dead don't lay easy without the help of people who can work with them to help them pass on. the town the story is set in is currently beset by a mysterious illness that's causing otherwise young and healthy people to drop dead. no one know's what's causing it, and it seems like it's only people on the less wealthy side of town. The old money has so far been unaffected. The mayor's hired a bunch of fancy doctors but so far nothing's been found. The spirits of the dead are more restless and dangerous than they've ever been.

So my characters are thus:

we have a bounty hunter/sort of lone ranger type of woman who feels the weight of duty heavy on her shoulders. She can't leave people suffering and especially distrusts authority and the law in general. She comes from a smallish homestead that got wrecked by bandits and hasn't ever confronted the trauma it left her with, besides throwing herself fully into helping others, often at risk of her own life. She's never found the bandits responsible and doesn't think she ever will.

we have a gravedigger/spirit worker who's tired of this whole mess and just wants the dead to rest easy. friendly, open, but generally distrusted/disliked by the town due to the nature of her work. unable to find out why these people are dropping dead and having trouble keeping the spirits under control.

a young woman who's magically sensitive, meaning she has latent ability but hasn't actually figured that out yet. old money, is worried about the town and especially worried about her maid/friend who lives on the poor side of town and is at risk of sickness. also betrothed to the mayor's son and isn't super pleased about that.

the mayor, a nice old man. comes from old money, the title of mayor's been in his family for generations at this point. seems to be throwing money at the problem, but not actively concerned about the illness plaguing the town. willing to do anything to keep his family well-kept and comfortable.

the mayor's son, arrogant, ambitious, childish. is used to getting what he wants and gets very angry if he doesn't.

the themes I want to explore are that greed and authority are a recipe for corruption. There's a second underlying theme of law =/= justice going on that kinda snuck in there.

so far, the mood has been one of fertile/healthy things gone to rot/corrupted.

e: the main conflict's obviously the illness/cause of the illness

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Read a bunch of westerns, then a bunch of southern gothics, then decide.

In the process of doing so. So far I'm leaning towards southen gothic, but like I said, it's kinda a hybrid, or at least my beta readers seem to think so.

also I gotta stop using so many commas goddamn

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thank you, that's very interesting and actually helps me look at my work from a different lens. Western Fantasy sounds both like a good genre and a kickass band name.

I doubt this will be the last book I write, because I've found that I really loving enjoy writing. maybe once this book is finished and I've read a lot more southern gothic I'll rip open this world with that genre instead.

Really looking forward to that genre post. Anyone have some reccs for video essays on genre? I say video essays because I'd like to put it on while I cook dinner tonight, but actual essays would be welcome, too.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

That was super interesting, thank you!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

How in the gently caress do I do character descriptions

my head hurts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks, all. I've struggled a lot with describing physical aspects of my characters without doing that thing I hate where the author's like "so and so looked in the mirror and described themselves perfectly"