Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

All computers do is add numbers to each other and sometimes take them away if you want to break it down like that?

Tbh that's basically how I write a story, start with a blank page write some kind of actiony sentence then keep writing sentences that fit until I get to the word count.

That said, chatgpt does tend to produce extremely mediocre fiction like you'd get from a clever twelve year old, but if it works for you as a tool, even one to tell you what not to do, go for it imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Junpei posted:

Oh someone made a tumblr post I liked using the Chinese Room experiment as a comparison.

https://www.tumblr.com/arp1033/713647484759670784/chinese-room-2?source=share

https://www.sabinasz.net/why-chinese-room-argument-flawed/

This is a good breakdown of the arguments for and against

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thranguy posted:

The bigger problem with the Chinese Room is that it proves too much: everything it says about the incapacities of machine intelligence is necessarily just as true of the biological kind.

Searle is a materialist and so cannot dodge thus by invoking souls or the like. He vaguely waves his hands at quantum woo instead, but that doesn't help; it is easy to imaging a Chinese Roon with a quantum randomn number generator occasionally invoked by the instructions to the operator, and that doesn't affect the argument in any way.

that's my issue, though it's hard to imagine a more perfect demonstration of the thought experiment than chat gpt.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

change my name posted:

Just write your books, using AI won't make you a better writer and the end result will be bad

its a technology, like a word processor or a camera. use it if it's useful, don't if it's not.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fat Jesus posted:

shut up nerds

:hai:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.penguin.co.nz/books/extremely-loud-and-incredibly-close-9780141012698

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If you're going to write a good story with ai it will take work, I've tried a couple of times and given up because it is easier for me to just write it myself than cajole the llm into making something worth reading.

I think photo vs painting is a decent enough parallel, any idiot can point and click, especially with modern cameras, and get very good results.

For writing, there are absolutely people who think handwriting has the soul that computer documents lack. though tbf they're selling pens, sooo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beezus posted:

Alright, got a synopsis drafted that still needs work, but I'm going to table it for the time being since the reading and advice indicate that what I really need to be focusing on is the hook/pitch, which isn't quite the same thing.

I've revised and revised and revised and I think I have something promising now, but will keep tweaking it. Thanks again.

post it in here if you want feedback, it's generally p high quality.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That reads very well, want to know more, smooth prose, not too much or too little detail.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wungus posted:

It's true, you'll fix the writing in any book if you give the protagonist the ability to fly. Every book that doesn't have a flying protagonist has broken writing.

when a protagonist can't fly, every other other character in the book should be asking 'when is the protagonist going to fly'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leng posted:

Brb gotta go rewrite the end of my current WIP so EVERYONE can fly.

Now what do I do the antagonists can also fly

Great Expectations (of Pip being able to fly)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes, the mod forums are all in comic sans

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Done.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Demesne

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wungus posted:

I don't know what a gerund is and absolutely refuse to learn. That way sounds like a way to learn about bad things that suck rear end.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Those are all very obscure, even control. I would think the purpose of a comp in a query is to give an easy way in, which that doesn't do. As a personal guide it's fine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh sorry, I thought you meant they were all games? In that case ignore, I was presuming the first two were games and I'm a big enough nerd that if I haven't heard of a game it's p obscure lol, if they are books that's fine.

I'd still assume Control isn't well known, but as a single reference it's probs fine, just have a few words for people who think video games are all Tetris and frogger?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Naw that's classic

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Junpei posted:

Probably a bit old hat, but: Ridley from the Alien movies (or at least the first one) was originally a male character, but they swapped it, and they created one of the most beloved female protags of all time.

So, if you're looking through your cast's broad traits, don't be afraid to turn one of the men into a woman or NB, or make a white character black/asian/latino/middle eastern/native American, or make a straight character gay/bi/pan/ace, or a cis character trans, if any of those facts aren't load-bearing in terms of plot.

This is probably a bit more applicable to modern day, fantasy or sci-fi stories, however. Historical fiction will require a bit more thought.

they were all ungendered.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also just swapping in someone without really thinking about it is exactly what people are saying they don't want to do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Banks' Use of Weapons does that, or something like it. My only caveat would be the pulp fiction rule which is that a story with time fuckery should be at least reasonably entertaining if told in normal order.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thunderdome is not a writing panacea but it's great for that kind of issue. Get the prompt, write bad, get another prompt, write a little better.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I got accepted for a novel writing masters course, so I guess I'm writing a novel next year! Ty thunderdome

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sometimes it's ok to just have people explain it, and when it's someone's reputation then it makes perfect sense to do it that way.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FPyat posted:

I'm writing a short piece that flits from point of view to point of view so that no individual is given narrative priority. 200-300 words about one character, then on to another. Thing is that I'm not sure what to compare it to for my writing group. I can name television series and novels whose structures are inspiring me, but I want to be able to point them to short stories and novellas. I'm sure I've read things that resemble what I'm writing, but I can't recall any of them immediately. Edit: Well, there are two stories I can put a name to, but I don't want to have to explain Warhammer 40K to my group.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/22_Short_Films_About_Springfield

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eric the Mauve posted:

To be honest I don't see why your writing group needs a famous work to compare it to. If it gets to shopping it to agents then you'll want a hook of that nature. But with the group, your writing stands on its own for better or worse IMO.

Unless "you have to provide a famous book/story your work is similar to" is a group rule or somesuch.

But really this, I mean you described it perfectly well. Its not like you need an elevator pitch for them to invest in it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaius Marius posted:

Magnolia with less frogs, or more.

This is basically all fiction

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sailor Viy posted:

OK, here's a first draft of a query for my novel. All feedback is appreciated.

My two biggest worries so far are a) that this pitch doesn't really hit any of the "trending" themes in the genre right now. I wonder if I should try to play up the ecological disaster angle to make it seem more relevant. But I don't know if "it's about climate change" is actually a selling point for the epic fantasy audience.

And b) that the second comp might be misleading. My novel has a fair bit in common with Spear (it's set over a few days, humans interact with gods, there's a big flood). What it doesn't have is any of the stylistic experimentation and meta frame narrative stuff. But I've noticed that the blurb for Spear doesn't mention those aspects of the novel at all, so maybe it's not relevant from a marketing perspective?

i think that's fairly tight, and it's something I'd want to read. Maybe just add 'and the things we do when blah blah blah' (or whatever) at the end of the first line, it looks like the flood is a premise rather than what the books about.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DropTheAnvil posted:

Are you Hannu Rajaniemi, author of the Quantum Thief? God drat do I love that novel, and how it introduces concepts that I did not fully understand, but kept the plot moving.

he's the baru man, the barunator

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Whirling posted:

People have commented that I should be more careful about my grammar because I occasionally mess up tenses and so on, but I'm not sure where/how to relearn the terrible English language after years of gaming and really dumb forums posts have driven its rules out of my mind.

Also congrats on the new book, General Battuta!!!

I disagree; if you're making mistakes, then you should work to fix them. I mean no-one is going to die if you don't, but getting tense right is pretty basic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sounds cool go for it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

Well poo poo! That looks great!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah sometimes you just want to be penn and teller because it fits what you want to do, as with all 'rules' if you break it do it because you choose to, do it hard, and dgaf

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've spent the past couple years writing video game reviews for fun on reddit, as well as mushy romances on another site. I've read the likes of McKee and How Not to Write a Novel to help recognize the pitfalls in the process of writing, and attended a group writing class before covid. After years spent dilly-dallying I've decided to aim for a modest draft of 50k, then further polish and expand as needed. The major plot points I've nailed down eons ago, I'm writing the chapters out of order depending on mood. Half planned, half written on the fly.

The elevator pitch would be "Psycho in rural 80's Ireland." Despite being miserable, this isn't intended to be some Angela's Ashes shite (Got my degree in Limerick, and they hate Frank McCourt). It's simple horror entertainment. This 700 word work-safe piece is where I officially started, though it's meant to belong in a middle chapter, so it's the most polished to present.

https://treacytown.blogspot.com/2024/03/ronan-looked-into-kitchen-mirror-as-he.html

this is solid, no notes but i wrote a flash a while back that is amusingly similar and it's making me lol a bit, irish priests finding out something unearthly is a robust genre niche i guess

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Uranium Phoenix posted:

If you're planning on selling anything, you might want to read successful examples of the genre you plan on writing. Setting aside the 'litrpg' part (this doesn't read at all like litrpg), this reads like someone trying to write fantasy who has never read fantasy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Junpei posted:

Does anyone have a document or area full of small ideas, not big enough to make into full books but good enough to save an interesting line or a funny gag or a minor character for if you need it?

Because I might start one for this small idea I had of "Robot character saves someone in/around/over water but in process gets extremely wet, when we next see them they are recovering in a tank full of rice like a smartphone".

you have the first line, ctrl c ctrl v little buddy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I love my Chromebook, great battery life, can't play game for poo poo but will let you watch YouTube or whatever, turns on instantly. Lenovo Yoga 300e gen 4.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mewse posted:

Curious about writing on a chromebook - just type stuff into google docs?

Yeah! It handles on/offline pretty smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

I love POV swaps but I have to admit my last few books have suffered badly from wordcount bloat caused by having too many POVs. So watch out for that if you tend to go long.

still stalled halfway through exordia because of all the pov shifts tbh