Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

write is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

a shitload of letter barfs

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I always gravel when greeting my coworkers

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

She looked at herself in the mirror, seeing her breasts for the first time ever.
''Wow look at those knockers, am I right guys?''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That's not gonna read well at all as a cover, as a thumbnail, from a distance, in a bookstore, or anywhere.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Dr.D-O posted:

Recently I wrote a piece of flash fiction for a contest Weird Tales was running. Despite not writing a lot before, I really enjoyed it and was hoping to write more short fiction in my spare time. Ideally, I'd like to submit my work for publication somewhere.

I was wondering what people's experiences have been with submitting short stories to online magazines for publication?

It's pretty cool! Go check out the publisher Flame Tree and their newsletter. Each month they announce a theme for sci-fi and horror (one each) and accept submissions for flash. The pay is pretty good as far as I remember.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm gonna approach this from a different side and say it's not too hard to get published as long as you hustle. Truth is, there's plenty of paying markets that are new or don't get buried in submissions where chances are significantly higher. Open up Duotrope, The Grinder or Horror Tree (not just for horror, despite the name) and look up some fresh markets in your genre. Aim as high as you want:
10 cents per word and up is top 1% of markets, there's only a handful in spec fic and most of them open for a month each year. Incredibly hard to get into. Helps if you read them to figure out what kind of stories they like.
5-6 cents per word is considered ''professional'' rates as per SFWA (6 cents since a couple of years back). These are also hard to get into, but there's always pro anthologies going around that are ''easier.'' Flame Tree puts out a few of those a year that they announce in their newsletter. They do one sci-fi and one horror each time, maybe 3 times a year. I've been in one of them so if I can do it, anyone can.
1 cent to 4 cents a word is where the semi-pros lie. All kinds of markets of varying professionalism publish at these rates. If you keep sending stories out you're going to sell one if your stories are halfway decent.
Flat rate markets can be good because if they accept low word counts you can get a decent cents/word rate. Say they pay a flat $100 bucks and you send in a 2000 word story, that's pretty good!
Royalty share is just not worth it. You probably won't make a dime but more importantly, you probably won't get read. I edited one of these way back in...2014? I think each author ended up making like $30 in royalties. I don't recommend submitting here. It's just a bit sad.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

SimonChris posted:

FYI, the SFWA qualifying rate has been 8c/word for some time now.

Since 2019 apparently.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Have any of the ones you've spoken with worked personally with small presses? It would be cool to get the thoughts of someone with experience in multiple avenues.

I've run a what you would call micropress for a while and are friends with a bunch of writers and other small press owners. It's a total crapshoot what you're going to get as evidenced by presses like Chizine and Darkfuse imploding spectacularly and even those that don't implode usually have some issues and unhappy writers under them.

That said, most of them are usually closed to submissions due to being buried in manuscripts and having their publishing schedule locked down for 2+ years in advance.

If anyone is wondering specifically about one of them I can probably shed some light into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

General Battuta posted:

People read differently when they're trying to be critical than when they're just in reader's trance. People are also very fond of fussing around with work that's written at around their skill level because they're engaging with it at a "how would I do this" level. So if you have peer critique groups, about 2/3 of the feedback you get will be useless — about 1/3 will be flat wrong and 1/3 will be wrong for your story, it's just people trying to tell the story tehir way.

When you critique work that's of a very dissimilar skill level from yours, you kinda see how little some of the stuff that crit groups obsess over matters. I used to teach at a teen writers' workshop and when I was like 20 I'd give very detailed line level crits with tons of suggestions. When I got older, my crits were generally of the form "here's a few things I really loved, here's something to attack in your next story, good job, move on to your next project." Because what was actually wrong with the story was usually just a fundamental 'this story is intrinsically not about anything' or 'this is a tribute to pop culture you love, not your own story yet' and the answer was just to keep writing.

And to keep writing you need to feel, in the moment of writing, a kind of joy and power. If you don't, what's the point? You have to be able to hold on to that core creative jet and guard it against everything that tries to put it out. That's as important as getting critique.

This is really good stuff, take heed.

And if I may add, sometimes the feedback you get will basically be saying ''I think this story should be a different format, POV, plot, length" etc., essentially describing a completely different piece of fiction that they would have written with your premise. Perhaps there's some value in this kind of feedback and maybe it is actually picking up on some weakness in the manuscript, but the solution is just ''write something else," so...