Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

anime was right posted:

so this is a dumb thought i had when struggling with how to write the middle of the story.

typical structures seem more focused on the pacing more than the reasoning which made it hard for me to think about like, what events should be transpiring in the middle, and then this thought came to mind

"the middle contextualizes the ending that your beginning set up" - and i think this did a better job in my head of knowing what to trim and what to grow, personally. i dunno.

whats a good resource on writing middles

If someone linked this already I didn't see it when I skimmed to check, but Jim Butcher's got some decent advice on the subject.

And before someone jumps in to say that Jim Butcher is a hack, which happens every drat time: Don't even. Whatever you might think of an author, their writing advice is worth considering. If he's popular he must be doing something right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Seems you need to add a troll clause.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

I love fantasy and I don't think I've read a single book with an elf.

Dragons are cool though.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Read More, Write More is good basic advice but there's more to it than just that if you actually want to get anything out of it. Plenty of people read and write a lot, but only copy the things they read without understanding why they liked it beyond "dragons are cool!" and don't improve because they don't know how to analyze the content (and, usually, react to even gentle criticism like you murdered their puppy).

It involves asking questions such as: Why do I like this, why do I not like this, why does this sentence flow well when this one clunks, why is this character cool while I groan whenever this other one shows up, what was so engrossing that I was up all night reading, why am I so bored with this that I'd rather clean the entire bathroom than continue?

Might help to write all that down, too, but probably not while you're doing whatever you're doing.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

How in the gently caress do I do character descriptions

my head hurts

Don't bother unless it's a detail that reveals something about the character.

ex:
A character who's dressed tidily or sloppily says something about their personality.
Listing their eye color, hair color, hair length, height, and weight to the ounce like you're filling out an RP character sheet does not.

Also, read more. Specifically, books similar to the time period/tone/whatever you're going for, and pay attention to which bits of description stick in your mind and which don't. Or any book, doesn't have to be the same as you're writing.

In the first Collegia Magica book, the character Ilario, ostensibly a knight, is introduced as a fop dressed in clashing colors, way too much lace, and a ridiculous feathered hat. At one point the protagonist notes that the feather seems to slump with him when he looks disappointed. It paints a clear image of someone who's a bit absurd, over-the-top, like a cartoon character plopped into a serious adult fantasy novel. Which is the point for that character, for reasons that become apparent later on.

Carol Berg does like to describe clothes more than is strictly necessary, but in a way that reveals the characters--both the one wearing it, and the one observing it. That example's stuck with me for years now. I consider her one of the best character-focused fantasy authors I've read. You could do worse than read her books for examples.

I'll try to think of other sources. Haven't read much in a while.