Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Isn't a lot of this advice quite biased in favour of extremely formulaic genre fiction narratives with plot and characters as the main focus. like you're spending all this time talking about plot but lots of great books don't have much of a plot or its fairly unimportant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

You need to understand the fundamentals before you can break them.

If you're the sort of person who needs to poke around a thread like this, you're not ready for step two.

I can't really think of many writers off the top of my head this applies to. It often tends to be the opposite, where a writer's earlier works are more experimental and they write more conventionally(as far as that's possible) later on.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

When it comes to the idea that it is biased towards “creating narratives that focus with plot and characters as the main focus,” I have to really wonder what books you are thinking of that have neither of those as a focus? I'm sure there are some interesting experimental works out there that do so, but nearly every book, including the greats, not just “extremely formulaic genre fiction,” involve a good amount of plot and characters.

I would appreciate a list of the great books that don't, so I can check them out.

Obviously there's not many books that have no plot at all, but there's a lot where the plot isn't very important, or is basically a few trivial or unimportant events, not the focus of the book.It's especially common in modernist stuff - think of Beckett for instance, who wrote a (very good)book that's just a guy in bed rambling for 200 pages. Wyndham Lewis's The Childermass is another good example - some guys walk around in purgatory for a while, and then the second part of the book is them observing some other people talk about philosophy, but it's very good. Characters are often fragmented or de-emphasised in modernism too, and there's some movements or writers where they barely exist - some nouveau roman stuff for example, or surrealism.

I'd be more interested in this thread if there was more about prose style, more focus on language. That's where everything else comes from after all.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TequilaJesus posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on spicing up dialogue tags? One person in my writing group says I use "he said" too much. When I try to throw in "he replied/he asked/he interrupted/he shouted" etc., another will tell me I need to stick with "he said."

If you're feeling really cool you could just skip that stuff entirely and throw em dashes in front of everything (though this does require you to have characters with pretty distinctive voices).

showbiz_liz posted:

I think this is more of a thing in short fiction, but it's definitely a thing. One of my favorite short stories ever is The Author of the Acacia Seeds by Ursula K. LeGuin, which is just a collection of three articles from a fictional journal about the literature of animals. (It's very short, so I recommend reading it, even if just to argue with me about whether it counts as a story!)

I wonder if this is more common/accepted in speculative fiction? This is definitely not the only example I've seen of an SF story that explores a concept without particularly bothering with a plot.

I read 'literary' fiction almost exclusively and was thinking of that when I wrote that post, so I don't think so(though I'm sure there's sci fi and so on that does do that).

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

wait what

edit: no you can't that's dumb

Bill Gaddis did it and it was good, not seeing the problem here.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

Quotation dashes are fine, you big babies. Trust your readers a little, why don't you?

Thank you

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Okay to make it more succinct than just a knee jerk reaction : when you give beginning writers advice (and honestly, if someone asks the "said" question they have to be a beginner), it's not good form to tell them to do something that deviates from the usual practice, since a writer need to be well informed of the usual method to know when the deviation works. I haven't read the works of Bill Gaddis (nor do I know who he is) but I have to assume he is seasoned enough to make that choice and not make it an awful gimmick.

Is there like a stone tablet somewhere that says 'usual practice' that all the new writers need to adhere to or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Djeser posted:

Writing is first and foremost a communication of ideas from the author to the reader, and one of the most persistent problems amateur writers have is prose getting in the way of their ideas. This applies across all genres and styles. Effectively conveying ideas is difficult. A lot of the advice people give (especially in this thread, or in places like Thunderdome) is meant to develop the writer's ability to effectively convey their ideas. There's nothing inherently wrong with a stylistic choice, but a super common mistake amateur writers make is focusing on their stylistic choices to the detriment of conveying their ideas.

This is something I did for a while when I started out writing. I was so concerned with these weird flourishes I could do (intercut paragraphs with no punctuation! write like a fake textbook! do it all in a transcript style!) that I was spending more time on the style of my writing as opposed to the content of it. Now, style is important. But it's not more important than content, and that also applies across genres. Something plain and meaningful is better than a flashy nothing. I'm not pulling this out of nowhere or reading it off my Code of Hammurwritebi, by the way. This comes from having spent like eighteen weeks judging amateur fiction written by goons.

Prose style is an important part of writing, but it's something you discover as you build your skills, it's not the first thing to ever work on. It'd be like trying to learn a drawing style first, before you have a solid grasp on form or texture or anatomy.

I can sympathize a lot with showbiz_liz cause there's a lot of weird ways writing gets taught between high school classes that focus just on essays, electives meant to broaden your vocabulary, and college programs run by professors with grudges so old the grudges themselves have tenure.

I don't really agree with the notion that prose can get in the way of ideas, it's usually the reverse that happens. Content derives from form. If the form is bad, then I don't care about the content. Whereas fairly banal content or ideas can be great if the prose is good.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

A Human Heart, has anybody ever told you that you're needlessly abrasive? You asked a question, people answered it, then you insulted the people who answered it. You don't get to act like the !!!ONLY MATURE ADULT!!! if you refuse to court anybody who politely disagrees with you.

I've been reasonably polite in this thread, and haven't insulted anyone.