Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've spent the past couple years writing video game reviews for fun on reddit, as well as mushy romances on another site. I've read the likes of McKee and How Not to Write a Novel to help recognize the pitfalls in the process of writing, and attended a group writing class before covid. After years spent dilly-dallying I've decided to aim for a modest draft of 50k, then further polish and expand as needed. The major plot points I've nailed down eons ago, I'm writing the chapters out of order depending on mood. Half planned, half written on the fly.

The elevator pitch would be "Psycho in rural 80's Ireland." Despite being miserable, this isn't intended to be some Angela's Ashes shite (Got my degree in Limerick, and they hate Frank McCourt). It's simple horror entertainment. This 700 word work-safe piece is where I officially started, though it's meant to belong in a middle chapter, so it's the most polished to present.

https://treacytown.blogspot.com/2024/03/ronan-looked-into-kitchen-mirror-as-he.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This story will go the complete opposite way. The Blair Witch crap will just act as smokescreen, the parts where I rip off The Shining will be for flavor, and the real menace will be the priest himself. Though thankfully he doesn't do anything that would make for depressing reading. I want Psycho, not Spotlight.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

All I know is that it's against the law to use the word ''cobalt" to describe someone's eyes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

After Robert Jordan took the piss with a 100 page prologue, I've decided that the word "prologue" is now dirty. Chapter 0 here is intended as a short intro, with the following nine being six times as long and following the actual main characters. Nothing happens to this guy, he's just a background extra in a folk horror story.

950 words

https://treacytown.blogspot.com/2024/03/keith-ducked-his-head-as-he-stepped-out.html

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's a writing contest where I am for stories between 1800 and 2000 words. I gave up the first idea since it was a horror story that couldn't fit in that box. So I tried a dead simple one where two people clean out a room. Difficult to write until the deadline loomed, because there are no jokes or wizards in it. I've written hundreds of jokey reviews on video games that are much longer than this, so this was a struggle. Kinda soppy.

https://treacytown.blogspot.com/2024/05/his-room.html

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This is a show and tell thread and Ive posted here before so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Thank you. I just wanted to let it out. I prefer to do funny, but that's not something I can fit in a short space.

I read the odd literature classic, but not your Roth stuff. In the near future I want to pitch straight genre stuff to a publisher that's easy to market.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 10, 2024