Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Does anyone have good sources for low cost editing? I'm finishing up the first in a series of fiction novels, and I've been seeing costs around 800-1100 usd and up for a 100k word manuscript. My intent is to use the first manuscript, and begin the long and painful search for an agent as I continue the series. So, if that's what it really costs then so be it.

Also, would it be prudent to search for a genre-oriented editor? I'm writing to market in the cozy mystery genre, and I'm assuming that it might be possible to shop for an editor that way if it would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sally Forth posted:

Unless you don't have beta readers/crit partners to run it past, you don't really need to drop money on a professional edit before querying agents. Agents will read for voicing/characterisation/plotting, and if you have those then most will work with you to polish the manuscript.

Once you have an agent, they will also discourage you from immediately starting work on the second book in a series - if they don't sell your first book then writing a second book that will never see the light of day is a waste of your time (unless your series is loosely connected enough that each book stands alone, which might be the case for a cozy mystery). You're better off developing a solid synopsis for the second book so the first book can be sold with sequel potential, and then starting a new project so you'll have a larger back catalogue for your agent to sell from.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

I don't really have a good source of beta readers. I read about that site that lets your trade off reading and crits with other writers, so I'll probably start there.

Everything I've read online so far basically said to hire an editor before approaching agents, so if I could skip that(with some decent crits from other writers/readers) that would be great.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sailor Viy posted:

If anyone is interested, here's my experience of using Critters (aka critique.org) for several years. tl;dr I don't really recommend it.

So this is a critique group website with a credit system that requires you to send critiques in order to receive them. Fair enough, that makes sense, although the way the system works is a bit weird. You don't actually bank up credits, rather you have to keep your crits/month above a certain level or your story won't be sent out for critique when it reaches the front of the 'queue'. The problem is that the queue is only a few weeks long (possibly due to declining membership numbers?) so if you want to get "full value" you have to be putting a new story into the queue every few weeks. Another issue with the credit system is that you get 1 credit no matter how long the story is, so stories longer than 5,000 words usually get very few crits. If you post a story under 5k with an enticing title then you will probably get 5-10 crits, which I think is pretty good.

The interface of the site is pretty ancient. All the stories have to be submitted in plaintext and get sent out by email which is weird but you get used to it. I eventually changed the settings so I didn't get any emails and just read the stories on the website.

The rules of the group are sort of "hugboxy". The central tenet is that you aren't allowed to say anything is objectively bad, you have to frame it as your opinion. So you can't say "this makes no sense" but you can say "this makes no sense ~to me~". Once you get used to the style it is very easy to be critical of things without breaking the rules, and conversely, it's easy to tell when someone hated your story even though they can't say it openly. This means that the crits don't really sting any less than the "brutal honesty" style crits you get in Thunderdome.

The actual crits you get are pretty good - most people make a genuine effort to help you improve your writing. The stories posted are pretty variable in quality. I've read a few pieces that wouldn't look out of place in a pro market. On the other hand it's not uncommon to read pieces with spelling errors, abrupt non-endings, and other issues that make it seem like they didn't put a lot of effort into them. This is sort of depressing and makes you lose respect for the whole process.

All that said, I do think that every story I put through the critique process was improved significantly, and some of them even got published. So I wouldn't say it's a complete waste of time, but I feel like there could be a better critique community out there somewhere. I'm curious to hear if anyone else has experience with other similar sites/workshops.

Thanks for the in depth review. I was considering going this route, or some other similar route.

Has anyone had luck getting crits from local in person writing clubs? There are a couple of ones near me that apparently are of some renown, and I was considering joining one. New to the idea, so I don't even know if that's something that writing clubs do.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

HIJK posted:

Google docs just runs like hot garbage probably because of their server load. I downloaded Libre Office and haven’t looked back.

Agreed. I did a lot of writing with that and it ran perfect.

I still use google docs now, mainly because it's easy and I'm lazy.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
A schedule is a big help, especially when you get to the review/proof read/edit part and you just want to be done with it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

General Battuta posted:

Go read Queryshark a bunch, then simply don't do what any of those queries do.

Is it bad?

I'm nearing the querying process now. Are there better places for tips and help?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sham bam bamina! posted:

General Battuta was referring to the query letters themselves, not the site.

ah, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

hahahaha! gently caress this writing poo poo! I'm going back to the coal mine!