Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

+ working on something else alongside like that one guy said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i skip chapter 13's cuz theyre unlucky

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

what do i need an epilogue for? just move onto the next book time's a wasting

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

and that's a good thing!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

tense has beaten my rear end throughout childhood and into adulthood lol, it's hard poo poo for even native speakers. let us join hands in prayer for the humble editor

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ill go past read more write more and suggest you have yourself reread and revise some recent work maybe once a week for five weeks-ish. think about each sentence as a memory, how good are you articulating that memory to another who has none to begin with? and let that lead your revision. youll be surprised at the progression of quality in your own work by the end of the month n half

sorry i dont know any resources

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

still cant believe some of you fools actually skip prologues. just wtf

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

curlingiron posted:

Maybe they thought is was a prologue and skipped it.

:sludgepal:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

just imagine skipping the first ten minutes of the goddamn movie, arbitrarily. goddamn

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i have no idea what this "readers expect 3rd person to be objective and historic" thing is about, if i am understanding this right. read V

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

hello everyone i'm going to attempt to frankenstein some romance fantasy litrpg to life in hopes of crumbing together KU sales. here is a very brief prologue, this thread reminding me some significant and scary population of readers skip them, from being too weighty i assume. anyway be rough with me it's ok :angel:

quote:

“Three dragons, dead--a result of the pauldron mounted, sword wielding warrior erect before them. From left to right: the spice of the country, the mountain’s crest, and the seadevil--all laid still, their essence pooling down and besides each corpse. A helmet twisted off to reveal netted gold, then released into a blanket the wind chose as playmate. She knelt and prayed to the forces that enabled her conquest--most living, many slain. Dark above yielded to the blades of light powered by yellow twins in the sky, an infestation of gray gone soon after exposing the stolen blue of the ocean, below a great flat topped mountain jutting out from the sea. Trees lined its sides out of pattern--the fight had seen to some. Surrounding, a great variety of plane, forest, and mesa blocked one half the horizon, the other stretching across waves yet traveled. It had been one task to arrive and another to survive--a subsequent generation would burden exploration. The woman sheathed her stained blade and returned to the village with dragon blood on their hands. Following a brutal winter in a blur of months after, the warrior--recovered and emboldened--led a variety of families and caravans through swaths of hostile lands dominated by monsters and uncooperative clans. Her word became weighted in all hearts to see through the journey, great bleached bones resting atop the future of Tometown.

Bridge complete, the construction effort after became welcome to a variety of merchants, traders, all varieties of visitors all distinctly different. With its population booming, more trees fell to shacks and shanties of modest effort. Their vast, naturally protected farmlands granted an enormous boost to the local economy, its hosts ensuring all who entered Tometown left with lighter pockets. Floyd Tome, a natural leader, took the reins of the city from the warrior following a popular, if unofficial, tenure. He cared little for fight unlike his somewhat distracted predecessor. He paid more attention to the powder of his scalp than the people of the town--but this did not necessarily result in a quiet campaign. Speechcraft abilities unparalleled, many merchants found their ears chatted off and themselves involved in trade agreements they could not recall the circumstances leading to after, a summary of his strange charisma. Another population boom brought a reconstruction of what had fast become dilapidated--the buildings erected in their place made heavy use of clay imports resulting in architecture present even today. Little is clear from what history survives, but a simple compare-and-contrast cements Tometown as an unrelenting force in farming, its agricultural exports unending, its accumulated wealth secured and reinvested. It is little wonder the expansion grew to the sides of the great pillar, wood and rock reinforcing many a foundation of homes along stone. An interesting dock culture grew from these neighborhoods, further traders arriving often by boat and accommodated for--infrastructure; a place for their boats, a bar. In recent years the booming births have brought Tometown to what modern day politicians argue a crisis. As of the time of writing, an official body governs the city state and its affairs to varying degrees of success--who the question is aimed towards matters greatly concerning. Regardless, the communities wrapped around and atop the natural tower in the sea produce an exciting culture driving tourism in no ignorable amount--immigration as well, another frequent topic of debate.

In any case, many lands fill this as of yet mastered world, and of the places to be, to see, to spend, to live and breathe, one can easily melt into the hot pot of Tometown--only unstiffening its unspoken requirement.”

-- Mars Blender III, (248--), cartographer, journeywoman, daughter

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

LOL... i see. thank you for stopping me from publishing that line. i mean Mars

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i have tried... a good portion seems written by children. maybe this style will help it stand out? or alienate it...

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i am surprised theres hatred for the genre seeping through my words so visibly. it really hasn't been the intention, it's not like i don't enjoy The Hobbit, i play Morrowind and Oblivion. i've enjoyed the very thorough examinations provided by Fate Accomplice and Mewse, and DropTheAnvil dropping the anvil. i've been reworking based on their words but Stuporstar is making me think it should be thrown out completely. chapter 1 follows a maid being fired by her employer navigating Tometown home on foot. is it worth posting a snippet for an animosity check?

but yes Uranium Phoenix you nail it i've only read The Hobbit and the Redwall series growing up and otherwise my exposure's the slice of childish writing mentioned + trying Rothfuss which was not working out for me

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

and The Once and Future King which i didnt appreciate at the time but have come to remember weirdly, fondly. i'm due a reread

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

fridge corn posted:

Hi! I've decided I'm going to start writing. But I don't have a computer! I'm wondering if there are any considerations to take into account when looking for a computer that will be used primarily for writing. Is this the right thread for this or is there a better thread to ask?

I would be looking at PCs, not interested in Macs. Are there any particular features that you feel are beneficial for writing? Back-lit keyboard? Screen size? Battery life? Let me know what has worked for you and what hasn't! Haven't had a computer for over 10 years so I'm way out of the loop as far as specs are concerned. Might do a little gaming on the side... not AAA stuff, but idk the odd Civ6 or other 4x game perhaps... 🤔

$200 refurbed dell laptop off amazon

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

if corn has a couch next to an outlet they will be unstoppable

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

all i know is V by Thomas Pynchon is freaking amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ultrachrist posted:

A month's difference transforms a completely intractable paragraph I can't possibly get right to a breezy solution.

It's magic.

it's the same phenomenon where you cant beat a boss no matter how many goes you give so you go to bed and crack his rear end first try in the morning